OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sako rifles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sako rifles
    Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:36
I am not a firearms expert by no means.   Just an average Joe who wants to buy a new gun for hunting.  The only hunting rifle I own now is a Winchester Model 70 .270 (Pre 64). I love the gun but want to treat myself to a new gun with more range for out of California hunting.  I was in a shop today and asked the guy behind the counter what his top three rifle recommendations would be.  His response was, "Sako, Sako, Sako!"   He said it is the best shooting gun out of the box bar none!  I examined the gun and personally found that the black composite stock looked plastic and kinda cheap.   What can you guys tell me?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:45
The Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless is awesome. Silky smooth action. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:48
Sako has a well earned reputation for accuracy. Most factory synthetic stocks are cheaply made. Not sure which Sako you were looking at as there are several models out there including the Tikka. Not going to say the counter person was wrong, but he might be a touch too enthusiastic though.

PS. Are you looking for a light weight stainless synthetic with more power than the 270?

Edited by Roy Finn - August/26/2008 at 22:52
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 23:02
I'm not a big Sako fan, but I don't have a good reason other than they tend to be a little more pricey than what I like to spend.  For a bolt action, my first choice is the Rem. 700 and then maybe a Savage.  For a semi, my ONLY choice is a Browning BAR!  I also perfer wood vs any synthetic.

As you mentioned in your other thread, you'll looking at maybe getting a 300 Win Mag.  I would love to have one of those or even the 7mm Mag in a BAR.  But if you are set on a bolt, the Sako would be fine as would the Remmy or Tikka or even an A-Bolt or Kimber, but I would want it with a wood stock!  As a member mentioned on the other thread, I would go with a lesser expensive rifle and get a better scope.... like a Kahles C or a Zeiss Diavari or a Swaro Z6!

As I mentioned in your other thread, I just got my kid a 700 CDL with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 and I was able to get them for a little under $1000.00.   I paid $649.00 for the rifle (new) and like $286 for the scope (this included a price match and some coupons) I don't think you'll be able to get those prices, but I could be wrong.   If you aren't opposed to getting a used rifle and a used scope from the Samplelist here, you should be able to stay within your budget and have a sweet set-up!

As a side note, can you own a BAR in Cal?
take em!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 23:21
BAR all the way.  Best hunting rifle ever made.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 02:37
Sako, Sako, Sako

There are so much to choose from. If you can lay your hands on a Heym you would also be buyinga super accurate rifle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 05:43
if he is use to using an m70 he should get kimber 8400, the sako 85 is damn nice too though
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 06:34

Sakos are terrific.  There ARE other guns in the world, though..Bucky,  but Sako is a goody!  I, too, like wood .....unless I was planning to really beat it up....and be out in the real wet stuff.

If I was going to go shopping for a "new" rifle I would definitely have a Sako on the gun store's counter, pointing it at the ceiling! I also love to shop the used gun racks and gun shows.  Bandito

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 06:44
      After using a pre-64 for so long you may find that getting a new rifle that meets your expectations could be chore,but fun.  Gee,sure wish I had that problem!

til later
BSA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 09:59
One reason why the SAKOs are rather costly now, is the strength of the Euro vs Dollar.

If you can wait a bit, before buying your new rifle, you can perhaps consider on of these 3 rifles due out soon:

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 10:00
Check out Dakota and Empire, and the Sako will be just fine.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 12:57
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Big%20Grin

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 13:13
Originally posted by tomp tomp wrote:

I am not a firearms expert by no means.   Just an average Joe who wants to buy a new gun for hunting.  The only hunting rifle I own now is a Winchester Model 70 .270 (Pre 64). I love the gun but want to treat myself to a new gun with more range for out of California hunting.  I was in a shop today and asked the guy behind the counter what his top three rifle recommendations would be.  His response was, "Sako, Sako, Sako!"   He said it is the best shooting gun out of the box bar none!  I examined the gun and personally found that the black composite stock looked plastic and kinda cheap.   What can you guys tell me?
................................Since you be out here in the wonderful "BLUE" (whacko) state of Calif. like me, I`d go with the 7mm Mag, a 300 WSM or the 300 Win Mag. for some extra range. Although the 270 Winny, is a very good longer range round.

The guy behind the counter was obviously just a tad biased toward the Sako? Sakos though, are very good and very accurate rifles.

Take a good look at the Browning X Bolts as well! Their composites imo, don`t look cheap. You can go to the Browning site and get some real good enlargements of their rifles and play their audio/videos. Though I prefer the shorter barreled compacts, the handling and the feel of the X-Bolts, to me was excellent.

If your first preference is composite/synthetic and the Sako`s stock did not appeal to you, take a good look at the Brownings. Always stick with your first impressions, as in most cases they are usually correct.   
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 13:18
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

If your first preference is composite/synthetic and the Sako`s stock did not appeal to you, take a good look at the Brownings. Always stick with your first impressions, as in most cases they are usually correct.   

Good call Squeeze.  Nothing is worse than buying a new rifle and then when you start using it finding out how bad that cheapo stock really is.  It just ruins the whole experience. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 13:24
You can always drop extra dough and get an Alaskan Ti in 7mm. Yippee Excellent H-S stock, fluted barrel and bolt making it very light weight. 7mm here in Cali is a great choice, at least where we hunt.

Edited by mike650 - August/27/2008 at 20:10
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 13:47
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Or an Echols Legend.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 14:14
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Good call Squeeze.  Nothing is worse than buying a new rifle and then when you start using it finding out how bad that cheapo stock really is.  It just ruins the whole experience. 
.............Yep! First impressions with anything are critical.....As an example! So far, I`ve had two 450 Marlin BLR`s ordered for me and the stocks with both,,,sucked! No personality in the wood grain with a very bland lighter mapley color. I much prefer the deeper brown burl wood richer type grain.......I`ll do without a BLR then until I find one that appeals to me. 

If I`m going to buy a rifle, I`m also going to have to do what else?? LOOK at it too!! Kinda like a woman. If you`re not attracted to her, then don`t go there!! Same way with rifle stocks!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 17:13
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 17:55
Originally posted by tomp tomp wrote:

I was in a shop today and asked the guy behind the counter what his top three rifle recommendations would be.  His response was, "Sako, Sako, Sako!"   He said it is the best shooting gun out of the box bar none!  I examined the gun and personally found that the black composite stock looked plastic and kinda cheap.   What can you guys tell me?

Sakos are nice, well-made rifles with very smooth bolt operation and some neat features.  I would not, however, say they are the "best shooting guns out of the box, bar none."  The person you talked to was either exaggerating or he doesn't know what he's talking about.  I own 4 Sako rifles, and of those, 2 are extremely accurate and the other 2 shoot fair at best.  One of them isn't very accurate at all.  I've talked with a bunch of people who own Sakos, and beyond the ones I own, I've shot a fair number of them.  In my experience, they are on average no more or less accurate than a typical Remington M700.  They are just more expensive to make and have some unique features.  In almost every case, the Savage rifles I have trigger time behind would shoot circles around all but one Sako I've ever shot.

Please don't take my comments as a slam against Sako, because I love Sako rifles.  But when it comes to factory rifles, retail price usually has no correlation with accuracy.  One exception is Cooper rifles, where you do usually get better accuracy for their higher price tag, but Coopers are really classified as "semi-custom" rifles, not true mass-produced factory rifles. 

I say "usually" because when it comes to factory rifles, accuracy is a crap shoot.  Name any factory rifle, and there will always be individual samples out there that are tack drivers and others that are complete lemons.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tomp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 17:55
Thanks everybody for your help and input.  Now I have the not so simply task of deciding what to do with all your info.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic