OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmad61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington problem
    Posted: August/26/2008 at 21:30
I just mounted my Elite 3200 tactical scope on my Remy Sps tactical rifle and boresighted it.
Every remington that I have shoots way to the left of the boresight.I dont have but 15 clicks to the left on this new setup,I hope that is enough to get on target.Is this just a Remington problem or what?? What can I do to fix this and get more clicks to the left if needed ?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 21:39
Originally posted by kmad61 kmad61 wrote:

I just mounted my Elite 3200 tactical scope on my Remy Sps tactical rifle and boresighted it.Every remington that I have shoots way to the left of the boresight.I dont have but 15 clicks to the left on this new setup,I hope that is enough to get on target.Is this just a Remington problem or what?? What can I do to fix this and get more clicks to the left if needed ?

Questions: 1) how many remingtons do you have? 2) who mounts your scopes? 3) method 4) If it were to be a Remington problem (which I would not believe possible on a number of rifles, but COULD be), there are a few windage adjustable ring sets out there. I prefer the Millet Angle-locs. Just remember to use an alignment tool to ensure you are not stressing the scope. I suggest either letting a gunsmith do it or getting a gunsmith to walk you through it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 21:44
What method of bore sighting did you use? Bore sighting is notorious for not being spot on with many of the tools I've used from Bushnell to BSA. Even the Leupold just gets me on the 5 rings of the B-8 @ 100yds. Looking through the barrel at target on the wall is no better. Bore sighting is not exact and certainly nothing to worry about.
I would go and shoot it and not worry. If you have problems after that please get back.

Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 21:52
Doug, don't you agree that it sounds odd that "every remington that I have shoots way to the left of the boresight"? Once again, don't know how many he has, but two, odd, three, really odd.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 21:54
Don't know what rings you are running, but here is a little trick. Remove the top half of the rings, remove the scope and if you have a straight one piece cleaning, lay the rod down in the rings and see if the cleaning rod is parallel to the bore. Stand behind the rifle and see if the cleaning rod appears to be pointing in a different direction than the barrel. You might have reciever holes that are not properly aligned.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:00
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Doug, don't you agree that it sounds odd that "every remington that I have shoots way to the left of the boresight"? Once again, don't know how many he has, but two, odd, three, really odd.

There may in fact be a problem, but it is hard to tell from the description. The BSA's and Bushnell's I've used have left me well right and low.
I have had better luck with the Leupold Boresighter and the old method of putting a dot on the wall and setting my gun in the vise. It gets me on the paper. The BSA and Bushnell are too spotty for me.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:01
my ffl has one of those leupold magnet mount jobbies and it gets me on paper, i shot at 25 yds and get it real close then i back up to 100 and see how it goes, obviously going from 25 to 100 means some more adjustments but i hate to waste ammo when i dont even hit the board with the first shot.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
kmad61 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmad61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:03
I have 3 Remington 700 and all have shot way left of the boresight.My Weatherbys and Savage rifle are usually pretty close to the boresight.
I have all the scope mounting tools (Bushnell boresight kit,Wheeler scope level,Wheeler ring alignment rods,etc)
Iam not a greenhorn at mounting scopes as I have been selling guns and scopes for16 years
It just seems that the Remington 700 does not boresight very well.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:46
Interesting My SS dropped right in on my 700, I should count my blessings the way it sounds.  1 full MOA down and a half MOA right. and it cut the heart out of the X.   Some guys get all the luck.   Wink
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Interesting My SS dropped right in on my 700, I should count my blessings the way it sounds.  1 full MOA down and a half MOA right. and it cut the heart out of the X.   Some guys get all the luck.   Wink

+1 Steelbenz. I almost didn't have to adjust with two different scopes. Luck of the Irish.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 22:54
My dad used to say there are only two kinds of people out there, The Irish, and the people who wish they were.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 23:00
+1
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 23:44
I never bother with a bore sighter. I start at about 25 yds and see where it hits then make rough adjustment and go back to 100 yds.  Standard Leupold base has huge amounts of adjustment side to side. For a dual dovetail set up burris signature select rings have inserts which can be used to add up to 20 moa or turn it 90 degrees and it will adjust left or right.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 08:52

I just mounted my Elite 3200 tactical scope on my Remy Sps tactical rifle and boresighted it.
Every remington that I have shoots way to the left of the boresight.I dont have but 15 clicks to the left on this new setup,I hope that is enough to get on target.Is this just a Remington problem or what?? What can I do to fix this and get more clicks to the left if needed ?

It's not the Remington's !!!  You're doing the same thing wrong ....  Whacko
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 16:56
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

I just mounted my Elite 3200 tactical scope on my Remy Sps tactical rifle and boresighted it.Every remington that I have shoots way to the left of the boresight.I dont have but 15 clicks to the left on this new setup,I hope that is enough to get on target.Is this just a Remington problem or what?? What can I do to fix this and get more clicks to the left if needed ?

I TEND to agree with this. Hard to believe that that many Remington's have left skew problem. It MAY be, but just doesn't seem right.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 17:16
kmad61,
How do your Remingtons shoot after you get them zeroed?  That's all that really matters.  I can't explain why you are having the same issue when boresighting, but the only purpose for boresighting is to get you on paper.  Once you're there, if you're able to zero your rifle without too much effort and the rifle groups well, who cares how you got there?

There are several different types of windage adjustable mounts available.  Any windage adjustable mount will allow you to use less windage correction in your scope, but if you aren't having to go too far from the optical center of your scope, it's really a non-issue, other than just being puzzling.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2008 at 09:53
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

I TEND to agree with this. Hard to believe that that many Remington's have left skew problem. It MAY be, but just doesn't seem right.

Ask a few thousand dead gooks in Nam who were sniped by Remingtons .... No .... I own a few Remingtons .... saw bucu at ranges .... NEVER heard of that or experienced it anytime .... anywhere .    No%20No
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic