OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best optic for 22. LR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chika99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best optic for 22. LR
    Posted: August/25/2008 at 11:37
I don't know who is better scope four .22 long rifle???

Red dot sights, scope or holographic scope???

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 11:54
What will be the intended use? What do you have for a budget?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 16:24
Welcome to Optics Talk.

There is also a Rimfire forum here that you may look through the archives and help you decide.
This forum is more or less dedicated to high power rifles.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 18:23
I like setting up a .22 simular to a big game rifle with a traditional scope.  This setup makes the most sense for my intended purpose, which is hunting. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 08:41
 I would'nt go over 3-9 ..... not a red dot ... and as lucytuma said .... traditional . Why do you want a red dot/holo on a 22 .... quick close shots only ?
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 11:02
I have a regular scope on a .22 & .17HMR as well as open sights on a couple other .22s.  The scoped .22 is a Browning semi and is wearing a small 4X32 and the .17 has a full size 4-12X40AO.
take em!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 12:36
   I've got a Sightron l 3-9x40 on my .22 squirrel rifle and it keeps the pot(pie) full.

til later
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 14:10
I hunt, plink and target shoot rimfires and use scopes. I prefer them for all around accuracy over my Aimpoint.
I have not used holographic sights much and only on pistols.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 15:25
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I hunt, plink and target shoot rimfires and use scopes. I prefer them for all around accuracy over my Aimpoint.

We use our 10/22 for the same purposes and mounted a Leupold 3x9-33 compact on it. It's a great combo!! My daughter got her first rabbit this past weekend with it. Yippee

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 15:26
That is a very nice 10/22. The scope is a fine choice for hunting.
Congratulations on her first bunny.

Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 15:29

Congratulations on her first bunny.

Doug

Thanks Doug!!!!!!!!!!! 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 15:31
Nice rig and congrats on the daughters first rabbit. First of many, I'm sure.

I'm thinking of getting a 10/22 myself.
My Marlin 60 is STILL giving me problems...Gots to go!!  Here%20Ye%20Here%20Ye

Sorry for detracting from original topic.  
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 15:34
The O.P. hasn't been on since yesterday. I sure what like to know what shooting he's doing (hunting, target) and maybe what kind of gun. The Ruger is not a large gun at all and that Leupy does not detract from it. Once again we see where a 3-9 works on just about any gun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 15:38

Once again we see where a 3-9 works on just about any gun.

LOL.....Amen, Brother!! Bow
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 15:49
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Once again we see where a 3-9 works on just about any gun.

LOL.....Amen, Brother!! Bow

This brings another advantage to a scope versus red dot or holographic sights. Scopes have magnification and adjustable zoom in most of them. There are not many choices for magnification in red dot and none in holographic that I am aware of.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 15:56
I would like to try a Aimpoint Micro-Dot on a .22 rifle. 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 16:17
The Micro-Dot is certainly small and handy. The 4moa dot would be quick for snap shooting at landfills if the shots were close.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 16:21

The Micro-Dot is certainly small and handy. The 4moa dot would be quick for snap shooting at landfills if the shots were close.

Exactly right!! Wink

A 2 MOA dot would be even more ideal for a .22 LR, but they are not available yet, I don't believe.  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 16:27

For a hunting and plinking .22, I prefer either a low powered variable or a nice fixed 4X.  I think the fixed 4X Zeiss Conquest 50 yard parallax model scope is a terrific rimfire scope!  I also like a high quality variable topping out at 4X or 6X.  One thing to remember is that a variable intended for centerfire use is usually parallax adjusted for 100 yds / meters, so it isn't the best choice for a rimfire.  However, if you use a low powered variable, it's not really an issue.  If you use consistent head placement with your eye positioned in the center of the scope all the time, it's not really a huge issue anyway.  It's really a bigger issue if you're target shooting and/or using higher magnification.  If you are using a high magnification variable, make sure it has parallax adjustment at least down to 50 yds / meters and preferably lower.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 16:27
   I put a cheaper Truglo Red Dot sight on my 9yr old grandson's Marlin 915y I got him for his Bday and I'll tell ya he's deadly with it. He shoots the tacks holding the target at 20yds or so.  I thought it would be simpler than a scope. 

til later
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic