OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss' New Laser Rangefinder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss' New Laser Rangefinder
    Posted: August/25/2008 at 10:42
If the new Zeiss is as good as it sounds and looks it will give Leica a run for their money.

brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 10:52
Any idea when they will hit the market?  Looks like I'm going to wait on the buying one for the time being...

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 10:52
Wow, that sounds great.  It sounds like it has all that the Leica is lacking.  I would love to have one that can be used in meters and yards.  The BDC also sounds really nice. 

Any estimates on when they will be available?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 10:55
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

If the new Zeiss is as good as it sounds and looks it will give Leica a run for their money.

..and then some!!!

Victory
8 x 26 T* PRF

Magnification
8 x

Objective lens diameter
26 mm

Exit pupil
3.25 mm

Twilight factor

Field of view / 1000 m
110 m

Objective Type
Achromatic at 2 Lens

Waterproof
100 mbar

Eyerelief
17.5 mm

Interpupillary distance
-

Dioptr.-adjustment (+/-)
3.5 dptr

Length
130x98 mm

Weight incl. battery
310 g

Laser
Class 1M 904 nm

Measuring range ***)
10 - ca. 1200 m
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 11:15
Supposed to be here in September but mfg's eta's are always off.  I am getting them on our site soon so we can start getting people on back order allocation.  I am sure that there will not be many available at first and with a mid year introduction right in the middle of hunting season and with Christmas around the corner.  These are going to be hard to get.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 11:18
You going to test one against the Leica and give us the low down?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 11:20
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Thunbs%20Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 11:24
Crap another onr for me to throw in the mix of needing to buy since I don't own one as of yet. . I did the ballistics on this and my rifle and it was pretty close.it would give one an idea of how much to hold.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - August/25/2008 at 11:56
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 11:42
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

For sure.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 12:03
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Crap another onr for me to throw in the mix of needing to buy since I don't own one as of yet. . I did the ballistics on this and my rifle and it was pretty close.it would give one an idea of how much to hold.

Ya and for hunting big game typical distances, close will be good enough.  I think it will be a great tool.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 12:08

Yeah it was off for ME a few inches at 500 yards. Most of my HUNTING shots are under 350 but 300 is the most I think I would ever take on game lol it would have still been a kill shot. Yeah it is going to be interesting to see how it stacks up to the leica and sworo's I loved the test drive sworo's. I looked thru a leica once but didn't get to PLAY with it like I wanted to.

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 18:45
Wow looks like Zeiss has out done themselves again.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2008 at 14:12

Have ya’ll heard anything new on this product yet?

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2008 at 18:50
I saw one at Scheel's in Reno the other day. It looked and felt ok, was fast at acquiring the targets in the store up to 100 yards but I couldn't figure out how to make the BIS work. The instructions weren't available at the time and the sales person didn't know much about range finders in general. I knew more based on my experience using Bushnell, Leupold, and Leica rangefinders in the field. Say%20What

Edited by mike650 - October/28/2008 at 21:16
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 08:40
Thanks mike,
I'm just wondering how it will work in the field next to the other top brands. How was the glass and read out? when you played with it.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 10:42
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Thanks mike,
I'm just wondering how it will work in the field next to the other top brands. How was the glass and read out? when you played with it.

It's a little larger than the Lecia. Has multiple click adjustments for eye relief which is cool. I never took it out of the store to test outside so I couldn't see how fast it was at distances beyond 100 yards nor how good the glass actually was. Fluorescent lighting can be deceiving. The display was nice but I need to read the instructions, that weren't available at the time, to figure out the BIS. The carry case I saw was bulkier than the Lecia, Bushnell, and Leupold.

If the BIS works as stated I think the Zeiss be an excellent tool, if not, I'd take the Leica for the simplicity and compactness. As for the glass, IMHO it isn't as important unless your relying on it for both your range finder and binos; I use binos only pulling out my rangefinder for distance reading so I feel the glass used in the Leica or Bushnell devices is more than sufficient.

Edited by mike650 - October/29/2008 at 10:44
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2008 at 10:49
Thanks again mike,

cdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 21:07
Any updates on this?
Thanks,
Cdog.
puppezed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 02:42
I took a look at the device manual and it looks like the integrated hold over calculator (BIS) is based on a static bullet flight table. You are supposed to choose the closest predefined flight path to the cartridge you are using, but you are not able to define your own flight tables.

This LRF would have been a dream come true if the flight tables would have been reprogrammable by user.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 09:15
Thanks for the info PUPPEZED and welcome to the OT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic