OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Working on 308 Win load - Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 21:04
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Looking good!!
That trigger swap looks like it helped you out. I too like Timney triggers and the OLDER Remington triggers tuned.   

Tip asked on your other thread, but I assume you have the X-Mark Pro trigger? Why does damn near everybody say they suck?  
Nobody around here likes them, that I know to be true.  

Whats your round count now, 8?
i have an xmark pro on my .264win mag and i love it, i adjusted it to 4 lbs and its sweet.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 02:34
Round count is now at 1, 2, 3, ......18,19,20 Damm, running out of vingers and toes here...
Sitting at 140.
The X-Mark Pro is fitted with a spring that even at the weakest setting is still to powerfull. I could not, nor could the gunsmith, set it to anything near acceptable.
4lbs is for me to much. It breaks clean yes, but I need a trigger at 1lb max.

L-1

General purpose hunting. 1.5 lbs. to 4 lbs. Factory adjusted to break at 2.3lbs.
LV-1
Live varmint hunting. 8 oz. to 1.5 lbs. Factory adjusted to break at 10 to 12 oz.
ERV-3
Excellent varmint / target trigger. 4 oz. to 1.25 lbs. Factory adjusted to break at 5 to 7 oz.
L-3
Target trigger. 2 oz. to 6 oz. factory adjusted to break at 2 oz

Edited by 8shots - August/27/2008 at 03:11
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 05:02
My team mate has also bought a new 308 Win in a RSA action. He has pushed his 155gr SMK to 2890 ft per sec.
This is his target.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 09:13
2550-2600 fps  175 smk  --- 2650 168 hpbt -- pretty standardized loads for 308
400 rds into gun, 5 shot group, 2580 fps  -- stock pro trigger,  too light of a trigger controls the shooter,
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 22:11
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

My team mate has also bought a new 308 Win in a RSA action. He has pushed his 155gr SMK to 2890 ft per sec.
This is his target.

I know it's reaching, but did you try a few rounds from your team mate? It could offer some variables that you could use in your search. Also check the muzzel real good with a strong glass. Your groups make me think there may be some issue there. If you don't see anything that causes concern then consider making a 3cm bees wax cast of the muzzel bore. Use a light grease instead of oil to prevent sticking. Then carefully measure every 3mm of the 15mm muzzel end. I think you might find that the muzzel begins to open in the last 5 to 8mm. If it does and you can't get it to group to your satisfaction then you might have to consider cutting and recrowning the barrel where the muzzel is consistant. If this is the problem and you cut and crown you will probably be pleased with the result. If however you find that the muzzel is good then you should eventually find that load that works. Good Luck!!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 22:45
I was looking at you targets again and it looks like the 69 OCL was showing promise. I offer my comments with caution because I do not know it all and never want to be thought of as one. I do take great interest in what you are doing, partly because I expect to be doing the same very soon. And because being allowed to be envolved provides me oppertunity to learn more or re-enforce the standards. I trust that you are an accomplished shot and one hole groups are your goal. That being said, I wouldn't expect you to need much time to learn this rifles character and shooting profile. I could see some of those groups closing quite a bit if I knew you were still learning it's fit.
We are on the side lines pullin for you and it's too easy to throw ideas at you and be completely off base. I hope my ideas aren't annoying to you, but wether I can help or not I know we will soon see those 5 shot one holers. Back to the idea thing, if you haven't already you might take the present load and set 5 at 70 OCL and 5 at 71 OCL. I would bet they will tighten even more. If not then a heavier bullet may be necessary. One more thing you might check(and this is rarely a problem) is if you have a snap cap then set the rifle in a shootin rest/bench and dry fire it 8 to 10 times with your trigger scale. Pay attention to occossional "slip an fire" shots as well as how consistant the release weight is. I think you would agree that the slightest difference will affect POI. Good Luck!!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2008 at 02:47
Thanks to you all for your input. I certainly will try all the above advice.
For now my plan of action is to swop powders and run the loads over a chrony. I will have a chance to do this on Wed. Will keep you informed of the progress made.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2008 at 06:43
Sgt D
I did try the 70 and 71 OCL, but did not work. The answer must be in different powders or bullets in my opinion.

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2008 at 22:28
Looking at the first targets you posted the 69 OCL and 73 OCL gave you the best group. Do you know if the 73 OCL made contact with the lands? That seems to be the only thing that makes since for it to tighten back up. It may be worth another look if you can load it to the lands and then tweak the powder to see if it will tighten to perfection. If that doesn't do it then it is time to look for a 135gr. or 140gr. and see if that's what she likes. Ofcourse if you want to hunt the 155gr. it is certainly good enough for that.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 09:30
Ok some stuff to report back on.
I have taken my Remmy to a Springbuck (as in SA Team Champion) benchrest shooter. He had a look at the rifle, chambering and barrel. I also took some of my reloads for him to check.
The following came out of the discussion:
The rifle barrel is extremely roughly cut. The reamer was rather blunt in his opinion.
A lot of copper fowling showed just beyond the lands on one side only, leading him to think that the chamber is cut off center.
My reloading stinks!!! The bullets were badly off concentricity. (like in 7thou!!!)

So what is going to happen:
He gave me some Butches bore paste, so I will attempt to smooth the barrel a bit.
I have bought a full set of Wilson necksize and seating dies with a new press to replace my obsolete equipment. http: www.lewilson.com 
So it is back to the drawing board and will see if these fixes bring hope.

Will keep you all posted.
Stainless Steel Micro Bullet Seater

Edited by 8shots - September/16/2008 at 09:34
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 04:27
I have managed to come down to just under 3/4 inch. Another 1/4 inch of tightning up and I will be happy. Time to look at primers etc.

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 22:07
Looks like things are coming together. The new loading equip is helping you know you are getting consistant rounds. I'm glad to see the length increase also. If you haven't already tried a set at max length it may be worth a try. Just enough to see some light land scuff when you chamber a round and then ease it back out. You mentioned primers and I wonder, unless you've maxed your powder what a hotter or faster primer might do. Please don't take me as a know it all. I'm asking cause I'm thinking you know something that I need to know too. When I've got to where you are I usually feel my only options are to keep adjusting OCL and powder until I know I've got the best it will do. If that ain't good enough then I start with a different bullet/same powder or different powder/same bullet. Depending on which one I prefer to use. But you are deffinantly getting some good results in your work. Thunbs%20Up
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 00:38

175gr SMK, 43gr IMR4895, loaded to mag length = good sh*t.  Try it.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic