OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Qualify as a "Squeezer Special"????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qualify as a "Squeezer Special"????
    Posted: August/22/2008 at 15:33
Hey Big Squeeze, what do you think??? Six inches off the muzzle>>20in.

(see below)

Edited by Kickboxer - August/22/2008 at 18:53
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 15:49
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Hey Big Squeeze, what do you think??? Six inches off the muzzle>>20in.

............Lookin good!! But please post a smaller pic so I can see the WHOLE rifle!!  What caliber, action etc. etc. Refresh my memory
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 15:56
Winchester Mod 70, post-64, 30-06, Timney trigger adjusted to just under 3lb, Choate "super sniper" stock, Harris S25 bipod. Just got it back, have not fired it yet. I am anxious to test out the accuracy.
Picture 1 shows the whole rifle, picture 2 just the action...that is as small as I can make them. Already reduced by 75%.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 16:00
That is a nice pink shooting mat you have there.  Wink  I bet you get made fun of at the range. Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

Your rifle looks good.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 16:13
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Picture 1 shows the whole rifle, picture 2 just the action...that is as small as I can make them. Already reduced by 75%.

Hey, Dan, one way to reduce or enlarge pic size is:
1.  Find the folder the pic is stored in on your computer
2.  RIGHT CLICK on the pic icon with your mouse and select "Edit"
3.  Should open up the pic in MS "Paint" application
4.  From the menu at the top, select "Image" > "Stretch/Skew," where it gives you the option of increasing or reducing pic width and height by whatever % you choose.  Use the same % for both width and height to enlarge or reduce the pic size.
5.  Save to the desired folder location on your computer.

Nice rifle, BTW!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 18:07
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 18:28
[/QUOTE]

Hey, Dan, one way to reduce or enlarge pic size is:
1.  Find the folder the pic is stored in on your computer
2.  RIGHT CLICK on the pic icon with your mouse and select "Edit"
3.  Should open up the pic in MS "Paint" application
4.  From the menu at the top, select "Image" > "Stretch/Skew," where it gives you the option of increasing or reducing pic width and height by whatever % you choose.  Use the same % for both width and height to enlarge or reduce the pic size.
5.  Save to the desired folder location on your computer.

Nice rifle, BTW!
[/QUOTE]

RifleDude........ THANKS..... I couldn't figure out how to do that!  Excellent
take em!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 18:38
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

...............That is better!! Now I can see the whole rifle!! What scope and power is that?

Is this strictly a target shooter?..... Do you plan to hunt with it too? If so, in what kind of terrain??
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 18:42
Thank you all.
RD, I can't right cllick... use a MAC, and it doesn't have MS Paint, but I activated the "preview" utility tool before I signed back in. I have allowed my daughter to be the "system administrator" on this machine and just haven't done the QA on it I should have. Spent a while doing update installs and activating utilities and now all is good. CT, appreciate the "reduction". I will be able to do it from now on.

The pink shooting mat goes with me everywhere I shoot... it's very soft and silky. Thank you for noticing, Supertool. (and bringing it to the attention of the ENTIRE OT FORUM).

I couldn't stand it. I went out, set up a target at 100, shooting off the bipod. Three rounds of some of the worst ammo on earth (as far as accuracy goes)...old military Korean. Actually 4, I fired one as a zero check and had to adjust up 10in and right 2in. Anyway, tore the target to shreds (made of a paper towel), but the holes in the tree measured .632, center to center, with a caliper. HUGE improvement. Now, I may even shoot some good ammo through this rig. This barrel has a much brighter future than it did when I took it in for "shortening". Best group, by far, I have ever shot with this rifle and since it was just shoot, cycle, shoot, I'm even more impressed. I lamented cutting the barrel down, but now am glad I did. Heck, I'll hunt with it this year. The rebarrel is put off indefinitely. I need to get to the 500yd range, now. Have to readjust the trigger, though. It feels quite a bit heavier than when I took it in. The gunsmith I use HATES light triggers... he may have "accidentally" readjusted it for me. He does really good work though.
Still have not destroyed the NcStar scope, and ran a low-light test on it and several other scopes a few nights ago. Will post that soon.
Big Squeeze, if it weren't for you, I probably would never have done this, have always tended toward the longer barrels. Even though I have known the "facts" on barrel shortening for some time, just never took it to heart. Thank you.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 18:50
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

...............That is better!! Now I can see the whole rifle!! What scope and power is that?

Is this strictly a target shooter?..... Do you plan to hunt with it too? If so, in what kind of terrain??

No, not just a target shooter... I hunt with everything. Terrain is "hilly", but there are some areas where I can set up on a trail and have a decent shot. Scope is the wondrous NcStar 10-40x50. It's not as bad as it's reputation. There are some "quirks" about it, but I can live with that. I got it just to toy around with, and so far, it performs well. May fall apart tomorrow, but has been better than what I paid for it.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 19:10
Kick!.................Your welcome there!.......The main reason why many have apprehensions towards the shorter barrels, is because of the MYTH that says there is a 50 fps loss or more for every inch of shorter barrel length......That is a myth, still believed by many,,, and it is pure BULL***T!!!!.......Longer barrels are more common and more readily sold as they should be. However, Ruger and others are changing that by offering shorter barreled, high powered compacts.......This biz about excessive muzzle flash, doesn`t fly with me either.

If you`re going hunting with it, I suggest you change the scope (of course you knew I was going to suggest that)..Laugh.......Ya know! Part of a rifle qualifying as a "Squeezer Special" is also to keep the weight down AND maintain a fast handling rig,,,, VIA a fast scope!...Wink

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 19:22
Kick Bxr...........What type of hunting are you going to do? Game, ranges, terrain etc. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 19:51

Kick!.................Your welcome there!.......The main reason why many have apprehensions towards the shorter barrels, is because of the MYTH that says there is a 50 fps loss or more for every inch of shorter barrel length......That is a myth, still believed by many,,, and it is pure BULL***T!!!!.......Longer barrels are more common and more readily sold as they should be. However, Ruger and others are changing that by offering shorter barreled, high powered compacts.......This biz about excessive muzzle flash, doesn`t fly with me either.

If you`re going hunting with it, I suggest you change the scope (of course you knew I was going to suggest that)..Laugh.......Ya know! Part of a rifle qualifying as a "Squeezer Special" is also to keep the weight down AND maintain a fast handling rig,,,, VIA a fast scope!...Wink

Well, with that Choate stock, there is NO WAY to keep the weight down. The scope is not even noticeable. I will probably keep it on 10 pwr all the time, only place the range finding works, until I get ready to put a "good" scope on it. I got this rifle to just shoot up the barrel and it has never been accurate enough for me to enjoy doing that. I will shoot it a lot now, though. Its almost like having a brand new rifle... in a way, I guess it is. Besides, I have a lot of old mil ammo I need to burn up.
There was no more "muzzle flash" today than before, so that is not an issue.
I've never clocked the mil ammo, but it was rated at 2900fps. I will check it out and see how much V it loses. It does have some "push" to it. Bullets are 147gr FMJ. I expect to see it come in at slightly under 2700fps, maybe a little higher. That is good enough to get to way out there, but I calculated about 61MOA drop at 1000...that is about 13MOA difference. However, if I add the HEAVY Leatherwood 3D Mount to it, that is EASILY adjustable. Could just as well carry a .50BMG with all that weight, though.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 20:05

Kick Bxr...........What type of hunting are you going to do? Game, ranges, terrain etc. 

Deer here and hogs in Texas... around here I generally never have to make a shot longer than 100yd. I've only had one around 300 and a couple in the slightly under 200yd range. Certainly for this rifle nothing will be extreme. I have had a few opportunities to take longer shots, but managed to convince myself I was enough woodsman to get closer... and did. I got so close to a deer a couple of years ago, I had to let it "graze away" some before I felt good about shooting it. Almost came face to face. While I have convinced some I am very impatient, when stalking that is NOT the case.
Terrain I have hunted around here is mostly hills, 5-25deg slopes. This year I am going to hunt MY land more though, so it will be different. I have one stand set up and and setting up another. 1st for me. I've used a climbing stand a little, but never really stand hunted. Not enough land to really stalk regularly here, only 55 acres. I have not yet decided to renew my hunting club membership. I travel so much it is not worth belonging. Used to be home more here, but not the last few years.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2008 at 06:43
  Hey Kickboxer,first off nice "SS"rifle ya got there!  From what you describe about your hunting situation I'd say your rifle is a GOOD candidate for a low range variable power scope with a range of maybe 1x on the low end to maybe 7x on the high end.  For right now I've got a El Paso Weaver V7(2.5-7) on my 17.75"bbl .30-06.  I've also got a VXlll 1.75-6x32 w/hvy plex on my .300 and I tell ya it's really nice to just throw the rifle up with both eyes open and be on target quick(at 1.75x). I hunt from a mobile treestand so may be changing scopes around a bit before season opens. Anyways,just an opinion/suggestion. Don't even know if your into purchasing another scope but the low range variables cover a wide price range and there are plenty to choose from.  As Squeezer suggests,keep it as light and portable as you can.

til later
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2008 at 11:29
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Hey Kickboxer,first off nice "SS"rifle ya got there!  From what you describe about your hunting situation I'd say your rifle is a GOOD candidate for a low range variable power scope with a range of maybe 1x on the low end to maybe 7x on the high end.  For right now I've got a El Paso Weaver V7(2.5-7) on my 17.75"bbl .30-06.  I've also got a VXlll 1.75-6x32 w/hvy plex on my .300 and I tell ya it's really nice to just throw the rifle up with both eyes open and be on target quick(at 1.75x). I hunt from a mobile treestand so may be changing scopes around a bit before season opens. Anyways,just an opinion/suggestion. Don't even know if your into purchasing another scope but the low range variables cover a wide price range and there are plenty to choose from.  As Squeezer suggests,keep it as light and portable as you can.

til later
.........................Dat`s a RIGHT!...............If you can`t cut the weight down by changing the stock, then at least change to a faster scope, which will in turn will cut down some weight and also make it faster in acquiring the target......Thunbs%20Up........In the first place, the whole concept behind the compact rifles with shorter tubes is to have a lighter, a quicker handling, a faster shouldering, a faster pointing and target acquiring rifle........ The wrong scope (heavier and slower) literally destroys that entire concept....No%20No....Thumbs%20Down.....
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2008 at 19:56
300 and BigSqueeze, you are both right. I do NOT intend to keep the NcStar on that rifle. Like I said, it is a toy. HOWEVER, I am a "funds limited due to daughters(and wife)" kind of guy. I want a tactical on it, because it is a tactical kind of setup, so I am thinking of a Millet TRS. I have never had a problem with 4x at close range, and the Millet gives me a "value" which will reach out to as far as I want to shoot. For a scoped rifle, 7x is a little light for the extended ranges. Of course, IF I decide to make it a 500-600yd gun(which is not a bad idea), 7x will be fine. I am SO CONFUSED.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2008 at 22:29
in my mind a shorter barrel will increase the flame effect since there is less length to burn powder down the barrel look at magnum pistols.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2008 at 23:52
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

in my mind a shorter barrel will increase the flame effect since there is less length to burn powder down the barrel look at magnum pistols.

Pyro, I fired 3 rounds tonight, right at dark, just for "grins', and saw no increase in muzzle flash over what it was before. NOT my expectation, but, at least with the Korean stuff, not any addition to front-end fire (it was completely unexpected, by me). Probably my imagination, but it does seem to have a little more recoil than I remember.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 00:00

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

til later
.........................Dat`s a RIGHT!...............If you can`t cut the weight down by changing the stock, then at least change to a faster scope, which will in turn will cut down some weight and also make it faster in acquiring the target......Thunbs%20Up........In the first place, the whole concept behind the compact rifles with shorter tubes is to have a lighter, a quicker handling, a faster shouldering, a faster pointing and target acquiring rifle........ The wrong scope (heavier and slower) literally destroys that entire concept....No%20No....Thumbs%20Down.....

Yep, the 10-40 is NOT very fast acquiring, and probably lessened by the glass quality (only "acceptable"), and even though the stock is very heavy, a lighter scope would be very helpful. I'm pondering this, because the shortened barrel improvement was so radical. New options I had not considered.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic