OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 300 Win Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 300 Win Mag
    Posted: August/21/2008 at 15:19
 Need opinion on scope for 300 win mag. Thinking these 3 choices:

Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44mm
   Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm
   Bushnell Elite 5-15x50mm

Have located all 3 locally for same ballpark $.Monarch is slightly used other 2 are new.  Don't want less than 14x top mag. Weight not issue. Mainly want advice as to whether recoil from 300 mag will affect these scopes reliability. Really leaning toward Burris but I like the rainguard. I have 4200 and signature but no first-hand expereince with 3200 or fullfield or monarch. Will not be used in thick brush,  mainly open fields with 200-400 yard shots common. Also need to keep cost down, these can all be had for less than $300.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 15:35
$300 or less for any of those three is a good deal. However those magnifications would not be my choices to go on a 300 mag. For shots to 500 yards, a 10x is adequate. But for $300 or less, either the Fullfield or the 3200 would probably be a toss up!..........Unless varmiting, the 6.5x20 Monarch is too much magnification on a 300 for hunting use......Either one will take the recoil fine.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 15:36

I hope this link helps with your decision.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
doctor duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 15:46
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

$300 or less for any of those three is a good deal. However those magnifications would not be my choices to go on a 300 mag. For shots to 500 yards, a 10x is adequate. But for $300 or less, either the Fullfield or the 3200 would probably be a toss up!..........Unless varmiting, the 6.5x20 Monarch is too much magnification on a 300 for hunting use......Either one will take the recoil fine.

Where I hunt we have to take Whitetail that have certain size antlers. They have to meet 2 of 3 criteria. 20" main beams, 16" inside spread, 8 points or more. The extra magnification is useful. I use 10x binoculars. When a possible shooter appears. I like the extra magnification to insure that he is not less than required to meet our hunting club standard.

Cyborg, I've seen that list and  If I read it correctly, the 3200 is a better buy than the Burris FFII.
   Thanks.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 15:49
You're most welcome Doc.
That sounds like a fine hunting club there. If the rules are newly in place you'll be seeing the dividends in a couple of years. I hope the rules are a few years old and you can post us some nice trophys soon.

Cyborg
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 15:50
Originally posted by doctor duck doctor duck wrote:

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Where I hunt we have to take Whitetail that have certain size antlers. They have to meet 2 of 3 criteria. 20" main beams, 16" inside spread, 8 points or more. The extra magnification is useful. I use 10x binoculars. When a possible shooter appears. I like the extra magnification to insure that he is not less than required to meet our hunting club standard.

Cyborg, I've seen that list and  If I read it correctly, the 3200 is a better buy than the Burris FFII.
   Thanks.
.................I understand!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 15:57
 We've been on this program about 5 years now. My best deer was 158'' 10 point. My oldest son got a 161'' 16 point with a nice drop-tine. It took a few years to really see a big difference, but it was truly worthwhile.  I'm not too good with posting pictures. Maybe one of my kids will show me how.
 So 3200 might be the choice. Will eye-relief be sufficient?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 16:01
I think you may want to raise the comb just a bit for a firm cheek. Other than that I see no problem at all, I shoot a RUM with the same eye relief and haven't taken the brow beat yet. KNOCKING ON THE NEAREST PIECE OF WOOD.

Cyborg
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 17:37

We've been on this program about 5 years now. My best deer was 158'' 10 point. My oldest son got a 161'' 16 point with a nice drop-tine.

You seem very fixed in your opinion about high magnification scopes. Assuming you hunt in Mississippi, are you shooting long distances?

Do you have Microsoft Excel on your computer? If so, I will send you detailed data from 37 deer. I have been hunting whitetails for 48 years, and I am convinced that no one can reliably determine the length of a main beam.

Tom

BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 18:40

I dont think recoil is that big of a factor with a 300 win. Brother in law has one in an Encore and he uses a Pro Staff 3-9x40 and it has stayed set for about 300rds. I would check the samplelist Nikon and Burris have a few scopes in you price range that would fit the bill. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 19:37
Originally posted by Gunshow75 Gunshow75 wrote:

We've been on this program about 5 years now. My best deer was 158'' 10 point. My oldest son got a 161'' 16 point with a nice drop-tine.

You seem very fixed in your opinion about high magnification scopes. Assuming you hunt in Mississippi, are you shooting long distances?

Do you have Microsoft Excel on your computer? If so, I will send you detailed data from 37 deer. I have been hunting whitetails for 48 years, and I am convinced that no one can reliably determine the length of a main beam.

I have Excel.
I don't claim to be an authority on judging deer. It takes self-control and discipline to learn how to determine antler size. I personally look for either wide spread, long tines, heavy or good mass, or long main beams. Tall rack bucks can be really deceiving.
  As far as shooting long distances, I practice. I practice a lot. But , I know my limit. I feel confident out to 400 yards. Any further I refuse to shoot. We have elevated shooting houses. Some stands are positioned so that a hunter can see as far as a mile in one direction, 1/2 mile another direction. It is not unusual to see 40 or more deer a day. A good percentage will be bucks. You don't see trophy deer everyday, but you do see several every year.
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 07:03

I don't claim to be an authority on judging deer.

I don't claim to be an authority either, but I still say no one can reliably judge main beam length. Some go out and back before coming forward. Some turn forward abruptly, others slowly. After turning forward, some are reasonably straight. From the side, they appear to approach the end of the nose. However, some hook inward and can actually even cross at the tips. They don't come near the nose. Because of the different radii of curvature, about all we can do is make a WAG.

Counting the number of points is a given. Estimating inside spread, if the deer looks at you, is relatively easy. I use both the average length of their ears and the average width of their head as a gauge.

I will send the data to you. The 37 deer have gross B&C scores ranging from about 128 to 180. It includes the length of each tine, inside spread, mass, length of main beams, gross B&C score, and age.

Tom

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 09:49

Edited by Ed Connelly - August/22/2008 at 09:51
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 11:17
It took me a bit to get off the floor from laughing. (: ))

Ed, I'm impressed. I had no idea you enjoyed astronomy. Personally, I like astrology.

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic