OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how much eye relief do i need

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much eye relief do i need
    Posted: August/20/2008 at 22:20
I HAVE A 270 WIN. CAL. BOLT ACTION RIFLE.HOW MUCH EYE RELIEF DO I NEED TO BE SAFE FROM GETTING HIT IN THE EYE FROM THE RECOIL WHEN I FIRE/Howdy
countryboy appreciates
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 22:27
I'd say 3 to 3.5 would be good.  3.5 would be better.  I use 3.5 on a 45-70 and never get hit.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 22:28
You should be completely safe with 3.5
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 22:35
Anything over 3.25" should be fine unless your rifle is an ultra-light of some sort.

ILya
countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 22:39
THANKS FELLERS,I HAD THOUGHT ABOUT THE BUSHNELL 4200,BUT IT DON;T HAVE BUT 3.3 EYE RELIEF.
countryboy appreciates
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 22:57
I have 4200's on everything up to my 300 Win Mag with no eye relief problems. I was just playing it extra safe when I recommend something for someone else.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 22:59
The bushnell 4200 is what I have on my 45-70 and it works great for that heavy kicker.  On a .270 you should have no worries
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 06:36
With a .270 anything that will give you three inches or more will be just fine. You should see that there are several here that are shooting 300 magnums in the various types that are doing so with 3.3 to 3.5 ER. The trick is making sure that the scope is mounted properly and that your shooting style is up to snuff. Many people crawl up the stock and that is the thing that will get you. Cheek wield is very important here as having your cheek solid against the stock helps your head to move back with the rifle during recoil. Just another reason why so many of us mention cheek wield so often.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 10:30
My approach to this is, admittedly, probably ultra conservative. I was cut when shooting uphill using a friend's 30-06.

Although only a few of my friends and I tried this, when shooting uphill at an angle of about 30 degrees or more, none of us rotated our body backward at that angle, and we did not rotate our heads that far either. We tended to rotate our head to correct for part of the angle and then rotate our eye to correct for the remainder. We ended up shortening the distance to the scope.

I used a piece of soft, thin leather to mimic the end of the scope to test eye relief for myself. I grew up in the mountains of southeast KY where I could do the test safely without shooting into the sky. I found that I require about 3.5 inches of eye relief to avoid getting hit under this circumstance.

Tom

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 10:40
Originally posted by Gunshow75 Gunshow75 wrote:

My approach to this is, admittedly, probably ultra conservative. I was cut when shooting uphill using a friend's 30-06.

Although only a few of my friends and I tried this, when shooting uphill at an angle of about 30 degrees or more, none of us rotated our body backward at that angle, and we did not rotate our heads that far either. We tended to rotate our head to correct for part of the angle and then rotate our eye to correct for the remainder. We ended up shortening the distance to the scope.

I used a piece of soft, thin leather to mimic the end of the scope to test eye relief for myself. I grew up in the mountains of southeast KY where I could do the test safely without shooting into the sky. I found that I require about 3.5 inches of eye relief to avoid getting hit under this circumstance.

I done that with my TC omega muzzleloader and the scope hit my nose.  I thought it was broken, i saw stars and blood was everywhere, LOL.  It is pretty funny now, but at the time is kinda hurt.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 10:51
Originally posted by countryboy countryboy wrote:

THANKS FELLERS,I HAD THOUGHT ABOUT THE BUSHNELL 4200,BUT IT DON;T HAVE BUT 3.3 EYE RELIEF.
.................The eye relief of 3.3" on the 4200 is enough for a 270`s recoil............Won`t be a problem for you!
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 10:56
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I done that with my TC omega muzzleloader and the scope hit my nose.  I thought it was broken, i saw stars and blood was everywhere, LOL.  It is pretty funny now, but at the time is kinda hurt.

I think a lot of us have had this happen, but we usually don't take the time to think about why. We just blame ourselves for not being more careful.

I have actually seen this happen on the TV hunting shows. Once with Dave Matthews using a Bushnell, and the second with Jim Shockey using Leupold. Both were shooting uphill.

Tom

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 13:49
Originally posted by Gunshow75 Gunshow75 wrote:

Ok, here's the way to solve that one. After you spot your game, walk backwards briskly, go around the backside of the mountain, up the other side to the top. Now you can shoot downhill with the Elite 4200 with no problem and be better physically fit to boot............I know, I know, you can thank me later.

Roy
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 14:22
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Ok, here's the way to solve that one. After you spot your game, walk backwards briskly, go around the backside of the mountain, up the other side to the top. Now you can shoot downhill with the Elite 4200 with no problem and be better physically fit to boot............I know, I know, you can thank me later.

Roy

Ha, ha. You sound like my wife. Cave men had to have a physical solution, but we are supposed to be smarter than them. Look at aliens - big head, tiny body.    

How about this solution: I could use a bike like yours to haul a portable bench and a lead-sled around. Then, I would not have to worry about the recoil.

Tom

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 14:27
Your learnin........That bike wouldn't make it up any mountains. Now a nice Grizzly 700FI would come in handy, cause I'm not a real cowboy.....grin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic