OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

So Many to Choose From!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 20:37
Guys, there a potful of decent usable binoculars out there in this price range.  Keep this up and you will drive yourself nuts.  Buy from a dealer with a good retrn/exchange policy.  Buy two or three, keep the one you like and get your refund on the others.  Or buy from a brand name you have some confidence in.  FWIW, the Mojave are pretty nice too.  Nobody does customer service and warranty better than Vortex or Leupold.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Gymrat500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gymrat500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 20:54
ShockedNow I like the sound of that! Yippee  Now I need to start a post on how to convince the boss to let me do this!
Confucius Says - Man who Stand on Toilet is High on Pot.
He also said : Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 21:33
They say money ain't everything, but I do agree it's way ahead of whatever is in second place.  The other option is to buy one, try it, take good notes, send it back and try another, take good notes..........................

Or just buy whichever Vortex or Leupold strikes your fancy.  If you don't like it they will make it right. That's been my experience anyway.  BTW the Talon is the same thing as the Diamondback.  I don't like it quite as well s the Fury, but it is a heck of a good deal for the price.

Edited by Klamath - August/22/2008 at 21:37
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 23:14
Well if you do decide to get the Leupold Mohave then buy it here on SWFA website because it has the best prices on this binocular that I have seen. They are $329.99 and I believe that all Leupold optics have free shipping here. The cheapest I have found them for anywhere else is $379.99 and that includes the almighty Ebay. The way I see it you can buy them and if you dont like them sell them on Ebay for a small profit. I think I may get the Mohave instead of the Pinnacle, It does have good optics I just wish the Mohave had a little faster focus knob, the Pinnacle is a little too fast . My only decision now is Black or Mossy Oak Camo they both are the same price.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 16:38
Thanks all!...................My decision is???...............The Leupold Katmai! The only other decision is, determining whether the better choice is the 6X or the 8X, in black or in the natural color!.........The lower weight and smaller size of this binoc, combined with the Katmai`s 32mm lenses are an excellent compromise....The Vortex Fury was also considered, but the Leupold Katmai to me, has more of an elegant looking appeal which I also took into consideration.................  
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 19:00
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Nobody does customer service and warranty better than Vortex or Leupold.

or Swarovski.
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 19:49
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Thanks all!...................My decision is???...............The Leupold Katmai! The only other decision is, determining whether the better choice is the 6X or the 8X, in black or in the natural color!.........The lower weight and smaller size of this binoc, combined with the Katmai`s 32mm lenses are an excellent compromise....The Vortex Fury was also considered, but the Leupold Katmai to me, has more of an elegant looking appeal which I also took into consideration.................  

Squeezer, 

I own the 8x32 Katmai in Natural...............BIG MISTAKE!!!  Not the bino but the Natural color.  Go with black, IMO.  I like to take care of my things and there is nothing you can do to keep the natural color from looking nasty.  There is some kind of film on them that makes them pleasant to hold and slip free, which is nice, but, nasty.  Kinda looks like an oil change if you know what I mean.  They are my favorite bow binos, but go with black you will thank me later.  I'll try to post a pic if I can find the fanny pack they are inLoco.

Edited by antleraddiction - August/24/2008 at 19:50
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 21:52
I also own a pair of 10x42 Pinnacles in black, no tacky feeling and such.  GO WITH BLACK, if you want natural, buy mine and I'll buy a another pair of Katmai in BLACKBig%20Grin.

Edited by antleraddiction - August/24/2008 at 21:54
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 23:54
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Nobody does customer service and warranty better than Vortex or Leupold.

or Swarovski.

Customer Service: Swarovski and Leupold are the best that I've experienced. Leupold, to me has been great but Swaro has been better. Without going into detail, I would have to say that Swarovski has gone way above and beyond what I've ever expected.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 11:19
Originally posted by antleraddiction antleraddiction wrote:

I also own a pair of 10x42 Pinnacles in black, no tacky feeling and such.  GO WITH BLACK, if you want natural, buy mine and I'll buy a another pair of Katmai in BLACKBig%20Grin.
..........................Thanks for the heads up or the warning about going to the natural color. I did think about that earlier, in regards to showing the dirt and keeping it clean looking. Must be a little PIA uh?......I`ll go with the black then! 
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 14:25
My 6X32's are natural and I would definitely go with black.  I thought the natural looked cool, and they do, now just in a really dirty sort of way
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 18:30

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

My 6X32's are natural and I would definitely go with black.  I thought the natural looked cool, and they do, now just in a really dirty sort of way

mywates,

I've tried cleaning mine with everthing known to man with no luck.  Its not like I drag the binos to my deer stand but the natural color is a dirt magnet.  Only thing I can figure is the rubber coating used on these absorbs stuff!!  Mine are now a soupy natural color after two seasons of use.   I guess the black just does not show up the dirt. 

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2008 at 18:44
Well guys!......After reading of your cleaning nightmares with the natural color, in the case of my binocs, I`ll get some black ones for sure!

In the process of narrowing my choice to the Katmais, I also see some others that I would like some additional comments on if possible. How would these below compare to the Katmais?

Minox BL BR 8x32
Pentax DCF XP 8x33
Pentax DCF SP 8x32..........on the sample list for $398
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 00:23
Glad you settled on what you want. You are getting a good glass in the price range. My decision to buy the Razors came from using them on the test drive. Until comparing my Nikon, Bushnell and Swift. (all in the under $300 price range) It was hard to believe how much more that I could see thru the Razors. Looking at my collection of 5 sets of binoculars none I was satisfied with, totaled much more than the price of the Razors. They may be to large for some of my needs but then I will use one of the others.
      I am still wanting something in the small pocket size but they will need to be very hardy to stand up to being my behind the seat binoculars.
      Squeeze: Glad you found what you want. You got a good deal off the sample list. Hopefully my search will be as successful as your search was.
Lile
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2008 at 00:37
Big Squeeze.  I've owned both Leica and Zeiss 8x 20's.  My particular pair of Zeiss was sharper.  However both were difficult to use with eyeglasses.  I compromised with a Zeiss 8x32.  You'll like the mid-size.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 13:13
If you are going with a semi-compact binocular, stick to fairly low magnification.  You will see just as much detail, but with a more comfortable view.

Katmai 6x32 is a good way to go as is Vortex Fury 6.5x32

If you really want an 8x binocular with a smallish objectives, than you should really step up in price.  For the money you want to spend, the two above are your best options, in my opinion.

If you want a bit more power, look at Swift Eaglet 7x36.  I have seen them around for a touch over $300.

If you want a bigger binocular the best bang for the buck is Vortex Viper 8x42 which is just under $500.

If you want something big and optically excellent without breaking the bank too much, Swift 8.5x44ED are a good way to go.

ILya
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 11:29
I have a pair of Fujinon mil spec 7x50 made in the USA. These are great hunting binoculars with superb low light capability. They are full size however and a bit heavy. The glass is pretty amazing and I would not trade them for anything. If they are good enough for our troops they are good enough for me. Just throwing another iron in the fire.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 17:33
Originally posted by rockblaster rockblaster wrote:

If they are good enough for our troops they are good enough for me. 

I take it then that your preferred choice for a dining experience consists of either cafeteria food and/or MREs? Big%20Grin

Edited by lucznik - September/21/2008 at 17:33
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 22:36
While I am not a big fan of MREs, if memory serves me right, US military's M22 binos are same as Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX.  Those are very impressive binoculars indeed.

ILya
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 15:54
Actually when hunting my primary food consists of MREs. I always keep a few cases around. Not much of a cafeteria guy though. Don't knock Fujinon until you have tried them. Koshkin is right, they are impressive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic