OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

So Many to Choose From!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Many to Choose From!!!
    Posted: August/20/2008 at 15:47
Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20ReadyIt`s time to dump my 30 year old pair of binocs and upgrade to a new pair.

As with rifle scopes, the binocs can become quite confusing too. With that stated, I`ll now rely upon my esteemed OT collegues to guide "Squeezer" in the right direction. I am not a binocular expert or afficionado.

Here are a few guidelines:

Keep the price at about $300 give or take a few bucks either way. If a pair say is $225 and its a better deal with the same quality then that`s ok......Or if the price is say $350 going the other way, but well worth it, that`s ok too.

Something under 25 oz. and more compact. But will consider a heavier one if the quality is worth it.

8X to 10X ok.

I haven`t made any physical or optical comparisons and really don`t wish to go from one dealer to the other, wasting gas and time. My final choice will depend on what I read here!!

Your thoughts on the following;

Burris Sig. Select 8x32.
Leupold.......Cascade, Katmai or the Olympic series.
IOR....B/GA Series.
Minox BV`s....8x25 compact @ 10.4 oz.
Nikon ATB Series.
Pentax...DCF LV or DCF HR.
Sightron S3`s. 
Swift Ultra Series. 
Steiner Wildlife Pro Series 8.5x26.

I`m sure any one or all of the above would be good choices. However, as we`ve all heard the line,,, "some are better than others"..........Time to narrow down the better ones.

Any others not on the list for consideration?

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 16:32
Burris Sig. Select 8x32  NO IDEA
Leupold.......Cascade, Katmai or the Olympic series. I VOUCH FOR THE OLYMPIC 8X42 IOR....B/GA Series. HEAVY, BUT SOLID. YELLOWISH VIEW
Minox BV`s....8x25 compact @ 10.4 oz. BUDGET COMPACT BINOCULARS ARE NOT GOOD
Nikon ATB Series. 8X42 IS OK, 10X42 IS NOT THAT GOOD
Pentax...DCF LV or DCF HR.
Sightron S3`s. 
Swift Ultra Series. 
Steiner Wildlife Pro Series 8.5x26. HELL NO. THIS IS THE WORST ONE ON YOUR LIST.
Sled2live View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sled2live Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 17:35
If you're looking for one of the very best optic deals around,  you may want to consider the Swift Audubon 820ED 8.5 X 44.  You can find them for $370.  Check out the birding sites/betterview desired/etc for reviews. They hold their own with the big boys!
Here are their specs.

Field of View 430 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 16mm
Close Focus 10 ft.
Weight 24 oz.
Dimensions (HxW) 5.5 x 7.5 in.
Weatherproofing Waterproof

Have fun with your journey!

Sled2live
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 18:21
Compact binoculars are a niche item and at their best when you absolutely need to have shirt pocket size.  You have to spend a lot fot the little guys on models from the high end boys to get really good ones.  These suck at any price for an all around binoucular.

Swift Ultralights;  both porro and roof prisms here, you didn't say which one caught your eye.  These are pretty good binoculars.  The above mentioned Audubon 8.5x44 is good too.  Way better than the Ultralite or others on your list.

Nikon Monarch.  I have an 8x42.  It's a decent, useable glass.  Not outstanding but good.  8x is better than 10 in my experience.  Note that is going to be generally the case in all glass in your list.  Just easier to make better optics at 8x than 10x untill you get to the $500 range.

Vortex Fury: not on your list but should be.  I think these are the best binoculars out there in your price range.  The Diamondback is a good deal as well I think it is at least as good as the Monarch nad has a lot bigger FOV. The Fury is brighter and has better resolution than the Diamondback, I think.

Leupold Green Rings:  Several in your range, notably Cascade and Olympic in full size. These are pretty similar to the Monarch, but I think the Olympic is better. Katmi has better optics, I think,  than the other two. Don't turn down a chance to look at a $100 Yosemite either.  These little guys are way good.

Never looked through a Sightron or a Burris.

At this price range there may well be some variation.  Look at as many as you can and when you get one you like buy it.  There are dealears out tere who you can buy a couple from and send back the one you don't keep.  Pay attention to that particular policy.

Edited by Klamath - August/20/2008 at 18:25
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 20:55
Squeeze I just finished a test drive on the Razors and they are great, but out of your price range. You should defiantly give the Vortex line a look see. I have not looked thru the others but I have read other good reviews on most of the line.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 20:56
Leupold Katmai is highly thought of here.  I have the 6X32 and it is outstanding.  The 8X32 is just as good I think, but the eye relief is a little short for my glasses.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 21:14
Thanks guys,,,so far!..........Even though I can afford the higher priced binos, imo they are like scopes. Meaning that the higher price you pay as a percentage, you don`t necessarily get that same percentage in improvements.

You know about and have read those reviews that say,,,,"My $300 or $400 set of binos that I bought, look just as good as my buddy`s $500 or $600 pair and now my buddy is sure peeeeed!".......That type stuff!!

For any hunting that I will ever do, spending more on the Vortex Razors even though a great binoc, is not needed................................Keep em coming!
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 21:35
For any hunting that I will ever do, spending more on the Vortex Razors even though a great binoc, is not needed................................Keep em coming!

You maybe shouldn't have posted that .  Once you get a good usable binocular and start to learn to use it as it can be used to your advantage, you will find something like a Razor is really just about what you need, not more than you need.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 02:53
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

You maybe shouldn't have posted that .  Once you get a good usable binocular and start to learn to use it as it can be used to your advantage, you will find something like a Razor is really just about what you need, not more than you need.
..........Very possible!........However, I have a beat up, 30 year old pair that I`ve used successfully on many hunts or occassions, in all types of weather over the past 30 years. The Yosemites would probably be a good reasonable upgrade for me.

So when I stated earlier that the Razors are more than what I need, I`m probably somewhat correct in that regard??   
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 10:38
So when I stated earlier that the Razors are more than what I need, I`m probably somewhat correct in that regard??   

Well, it's me again.  While I don't think a binocular much above the price point of the Razor is really needed, buying the best you can afford is never a bad choice.  However I'd stay in the $300-500 range for a good roof prism.  If you don't want to spend for a Razor, I can personally vouch for both the Fury and Vipers from Vortex and the Eaglet series from Swift.  Nikon, Pentax, Leupold, Bushnell and others are in there too.  I have Swifts, Furys, and Vipers as well as Yosemites.  I have these because I like them, and use them, and I bought them because I thought them best for me.  I also have a Monarch 8x42, which is not as good as the Swift or Vipers or the Fury.  I'd also stay at 8x unless you go for the Viper.

Edited by Klamath - August/21/2008 at 10:39
Steve

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 12:01
Klamath...................The Vortex Furys are for sure, getting my attention!

I notice that they have 3 sizes in the 8x! Besides the 8x42, what are your assessments on the other two, the 8x28 compact Fury and the 8x32 medium sized one. The smaller objectives, 28mm and 32mm will probably be a little less bright than the larger 42mm?......

I went to the Vortex site and all 3 Furys have the same innerds, with the only difference being their objective sizes with godd FOV`s for all three.

The weight difference between the 8x42 vs the 8x32 is only 2 or 3 oz. But the 8x28 compact is way down to around 10 or 11 oz. I do certainly like that.

What do you think of the 8x28 and the 8x32??..................Thanks for the help! 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 12:10
Hey Squeeze.  Check out the IOR mini's.  I have a 10-25x monocular and the optics are very good.  It is excellent for day time use and pretty good for evening morning use.  I carry it all the time.  It is great for hikes and fourwheeling when I don't want to carry my actual binos. 

So I am sure the binos would be just as good to.  For the money I spent on it, I was more than pleased with the glass quality, very good product.
http://www.swfa.com/c-1209-ior-binoculars.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 13:54
Big Squeeze,

My Furys are the 6.5x32.  I like them better by a small margin than the 8x32 Fury.  I don't see where the 6.5 gives up anything to 8x for all around use, most of which is usually nearer to the viewer rather than further.  YMMV.  The 32mm Fury is larger than the typical 32mm glass, but still noticeably smaller than 42 mm binoculars.  This has to do with the huge ocular lenses the Fury has (it's where they get their bigger than usual FOV).  They are also apparently built very stout.  The hinge is stiff enough it takes concious effort to move.  The new diopter seems to stay where you put it and the focus typically stays where it was.  The upshot is that when you grab the Fury for a quick look, everything will be where you need it and you can look rather than fiddle with the binocular before you can look.  Same deal for the Viper.  I would be pretty surprised if you didn't get along quite well with either a 6.5 or 8x32 Fury.  I have never paid much attention to the 28mm Furys.  I have a B&L 7x26 Custom Compact that is top notch optics and does small duty for me.

Edited by Klamath - August/21/2008 at 14:01
Steve

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 14:05
I wonder what the 8x28 Fury compact would be like? I see that you don`t have one though.
Gymrat500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gymrat500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 07:35
Big Squeeze, this is a perfect discussion for me as well, since I am in the same dilema that you are, and same price range as well.  I have been hearing really good reviews on the Vortex line and found this nice lil review on the Viper (which is over our price range but I thought you may like to see it)  it's from a guy called Lawdog :
"There comes a point in spending money on anything where additional money spent gets you an imperceptible difference in quality. The few hundred dollars difference between a $75 binocular and a $275 binocular is money well spent. However, the more high-end you get the less you get for the next jump in price (my eyes can see no difference between the $1200 binocular and the $2500 binocular - money wasted, at least on me). I was looking for the best 8x42 binocular under $1000. I considered the Nikon Monarch ATB (still the best binocular under $300), and the Zeiss Conquest. A friend recommended the Vortex Viper, and I had never heard of them. I researched on line and found nothing but rave reviews (Field and Stream Best of the Best; birddigiscoping.com; and various message boards). I then compared them to the Nikon and the Zeiss - WOW. They blew the Nikons away! - much better brightness, contrast, resolution, and edge sharpness. Definitely worth the extra couple of hundred. Compared to the Zeiss they were hard to tell apart. The Vortex was actually brighter than the Zeiss! If you want a better binocular than the Vortex Viper you are going to have to spend $1400+ on a high-end model from the big 3. And, even then, the fractional difference you get as compared to the viper is a waste of a grand."
Hope this helps.
Confucius Says - Man who Stand on Toilet is High on Pot.
He also said : Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 10:20
Originally posted by Gymrat500 Gymrat500 wrote:

Big Squeeze, this is a perfect discussion for me as well, since I am in the same dilema that you are, and same price range as well.  I have been hearing really good reviews on the Vortex line and found this nice lil review on the Viper (which is over our price range but I thought you may like to see it)  it's from a guy called Lawdog :
"There comes a point in spending money on anything where additional money spent gets you an imperceptible difference in quality. The few hundred dollars difference between a $75 binocular and a $275 binocular is money well spent. However, the more high-end you get the less you get for the next jump in price (my eyes can see no difference between the $1200 binocular and the $2500 binocular - money wasted, at least on me). I was looking for the best 8x42 binocular under $1000. I considered the Nikon Monarch ATB (still the best binocular under $300), and the Zeiss Conquest. A friend recommended the Vortex Viper, and I had never heard of them. I researched on line and found nothing but rave reviews (Field and Stream Best of the Best; birddigiscoping.com; and various message boards). I then compared them to the Nikon and the Zeiss - WOW. They blew the Nikons away! - much better brightness, contrast, resolution, and edge sharpness. Definitely worth the extra couple of hundred. Compared to the Zeiss they were hard to tell apart. The Vortex was actually brighter than the Zeiss! If you want a better binocular than the Vortex Viper you are going to have to spend $1400+ on a high-end model from the big 3. And, even then, the fractional difference you get as compared to the viper is a waste of a grand."
Hope this helps.
.............................Thanks for that info........That Vortex Viper no doubt would certainly make an excellent choice. From what I gather, it is more than likely, better than anything else on the market within that price range............I`m still debating and it won`t be a long drawn out decision.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 10:49
 You really don't give out any information about what size of binocular you are really looking for and what sort of use you have for the binocular other than hunting.  Where I hunt, its stone's throw distance now and miles and miles of view a littler later.  How you use it determines most of what you need in a binocular.

If you are a one binocular sort, I would not advise that you get anything smaller than a 30-32mm, nor larger than a 40-44mm glass.  The reason is bound by laws of physics.  Those little guys are a heck of al lot more likely to shake when you look at something.  Some weight helps steady the glass, but on the other end, there is the idea of how much do you want to pack.  The more glass an engineer can use in a design the more things they can do with it.  Also a little more physical size really helps to hold the thing steady.

Now, while I don't have very much experience with the 28mm Fury, I have looked through a few.  Their image quality seems pretty typical of the whole Fury line.  Plus they have WAY less FOV than the other Furys.  They are just too small to interest me, because my small binocular niche is well filled.  Now, if it is REALLY a small, compact sort of binocular you are after (I sort of get that drift), then my personal choice would be the Bushnell Custom Elite 7x26.  Available most places for about $240.  Don't worry about 7x.  This thing is better for sorting detail at distance than my now largely unused Nikon Monarch 8x42.  Top drawer optics, but it is too darned small to use for very much time.  It will cramp hands pretty easily.  I have somewhat bigger than average hands.  If the reverse porro design of the 7x26 does not appeal, I would take a look at the new 9x28 Pentax which is about $250.  This is one that has my interest, but I have NOT ever seen one.
Steve

Gymrat500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gymrat500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 10:51
The Vortex Stokes   8 x 42 Talon Binocular TLN-842 have also caught my eye.  They are a birding series bino and have the BaK4 phase corrected roof prisms and are only $199.  Anyone have any first hand experience? 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 11:01
I just happened to cruise over to the "Field and Stream" website and did a search. For `08, they do list the Vortex Razor as one of the best in the "top notch" category.......But the `08 winner according to their staff for the best mid priced binoc, was the Leupold Mojave??.....That`s what I read under the "best of the best" article review........   
Gymrat500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gymrat500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 20:20
Man just when I thought my mind was made up you throw another nice optic in the mix.Whacko  Now which way do we go?  Fury?  Mojave? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic