OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New to handgun. information would be nice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2005 at 17:11

My Kimber ran about $1000 new. I have made zero upgrades to my TC II. This pistol will shoot very well with any type ammo. HP included. Some have had problems with 1911's, but certainly not me.

I did buy some Wilson Combat mags for it though. The stock mag worked great, but the WC's allow me to carry 9 rounds, versus 8.

I totally agree with you, koshkin, 1911's arent for everybody. I refuse to pay 2 grand for a custom rig, when my Kimber has ran so well either.

But I can't like anything better. Sigs and Glocks are nice and reliable. But the feel is just not there like my 1911's.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2005 at 17:39

That's the catch I suppose.  1911 has the right feel for you and it is worth $1000 to you.

Unlike a lot of people I talked to I learned to shoot with a Glock and my natural wrist angle seems to work pretty well with a Glock as well.  Similarly, Sig P220 points very naturally for me as well. 

1911s just do not feel right in my hand.   Another factor is that my Glock 31 cost $500 and P220 $585.  A compact CZ75 in 9mm set me back another $350 or so.  I spent less money on three utterly reliable guns that shoot better than I do than some people spend on one tricked out 1911.  Maybe I am just not a good enough shot to truly appreciate a custom 1911.

That leaves me more money to spend on rifles and optics (handguns are more of a practical interest for me, whereas tinkering with long guns is a hobby).

Ilya

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2005 at 20:49
One point that is often overlooked as to the popularity of the 1911 type guns, is the large amount of replacement parts that have no regulation either by a company or the government. While direct replacement of one part with another sometimes needs some adjustment, the need to ship the gun off, wait, at the mercy of some manuf. pricing structure turned people off in the 80's and as a result many parts "houses" became cottage industries. While this may mean little to most people, knowing that I will always have a 1911 "ready to go" is a very comforting thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic