OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New to handgun. information would be nice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to handgun. information would be nice
    Posted: December/27/2004 at 00:55

hey, i'm starting to look at handguns. i would love to have a nice handgun to "play" with. not looking for extreme accuracy,  balence just somthing fun thats really reliable and looks somwhat decent. now, for the hard part. i'm just beginning my research and this is the first place i'm coming.  i really dont need it for protection, hunting or anyother purpose other than having it to shoot for somthing new to do. well heres what i'm wanting it will probably be a wide open area with a lot of options

Comfertable feel.    (opinions but anyways)

cheap caliber      (whatever i can buy ammo for to waste on that stubborn gopher)

Semi automatic ( no revolver)

Somthing that doesn't jam, or break often

A very, very nice price tag.

GET To WORK BOYS.

Ideas, prices, pics, cost Etc.... 

Once again i know that this is a very  open subject for many opinions but like i said earlier this is o nly the beginning of my research. i figured u'd be able to figure er out.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2004 at 01:08

1911..I'd go with a Kimber fullsize 5" barrel. Less overall problems, it seems. 

I have the Tactical Custom II and went to a few shooting schools with it, where it performed wonderfully.

Ammo for the .45 is NOT cheap though, but either is my life.

I carry the said Kimber everyday in a OWB holster, or my beloved Smart Carry.

Others will have thier opinions, theres mine. You'll probably end up with a 1911 anyway, I did.  

I know you said no revolvers, but a revolver is a great place to learn the basic's of hand gunning. A .38 cal Smith and Wesson is a beautiful hand gun.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2004 at 10:38

lol yeah, i'm really on a tight budget but i do love the 1911 style gun. its real cool. i've looked at kimbers line of guns and their awsome, i would buy one in a heartbeat if it didn't have a price tag. i'm kinda looking for somthing in like 350 -450. i'm also considering used too. whats others think. Thanks for the info cheaptrick. well.... what are some other ways to go?????

M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2004 at 10:40
i already have a small 22 revolver by the way (ruger bearcat, old one witout the safty) yes, i do know the basics of handgunning too. but ur right in saying that a revolver is teh way to start cause i know that starting off a handgun can be quite dangerous to an user do to the way it handles as opposed to a rifle or other long gun. sry for the edit
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2004 at 14:34

A police trade in Sig 229 or 226

Contact CDNN and ask for one of their firearm catalogs or download one here.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2004 at 22:22
thanks. What about a glock 17? in a 9mm?> BTW what can i get in a springfeild armory model?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 02:41

I might try to go SA 1911, with the money you want to spend. I know many GI's that love their Springfield 1911's. I have never owned one.

I did own a Llama 1911 .45, that I NEVER took to the range or showed anybody because they would laugh at me. 

BUT, the Llama ran and ran. It ate almost any type of ammo, including hollow points my main home defense bullet. I paid about $250.00 for it.

Go for the SA though. Llama's are junk! Just thought I 'd share a little story with you....

If you decide on a 1911, get a 5" barrel. 

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 09:50

I am a 1911 guy also but, I would recommend a Sig 226, 228(discontinued), 229, in 9mm

Decock-able and hammered DA/SA is more beginner friendly. Speaking from experience, the Sig will be less fussy with cheap bulk ammo over a 1911.

And IMO is generally more reliable than a Wather P99 or a Springfield SD.

For people new to handgunning and with these kinds of questions I like to discuss revolvers as many are quick to simply dismiss them.

A 4" .357 Mag revolver is perfect.  Beautiful, less-complicated and easy to operate, more accurate, better trigger over any poly-auto, enough power for hunting, personal defense, etc. AND one can shoot lighter/cheaper 38spl loads for plinking and target practice.

My ultimate vote is for a 686.

Edited by Boomholzer
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 10:08

Used CZ75 in 9mm run about $350, and 100 rounds of FMJ about $10.00 at wal-mart. The CZ has a single action let off and will give you the semi target accuracy your looking for. The best all around gun would be something like a 686 target sights and 6 inch barrel. It is almost impossible to beat the trigger on a S&W single action and the option of 357 in all its bullet weights is unbeatable. Revolvers are not out dated.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 12:15

i jsut got back from my local gun dealer this morning, and i picked up a kimber TLE 5" barrel, wit the light rail, that i got off gunbroker, and it is SWEET to say the least, now, i just need to get my crimson trace grips,a nd surefire x200. the gun was pricey though, at 900, but worth ever cent.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 13:14
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

now, i just need to get my crimson trace grips................

cory

PM Sent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 18:47
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

i jsut got back from my local gun dealer this morning, and i picked up a kimber TLE 5" barrel, wit the light rail, that i got off gunbroker, and it is SWEET to say the least, now, i just need to get my crimson trace grips,a nd surefire x200. the gun was pricey though, at 900, but worth ever cent.

cory

Great weapon, redneck. I used a TLE in training class once, and was sold on Kimbers thereafter. Congrats!!

The .357 revolver recommendation is super. I have always liked the .38 personally, but the .357 Smith offers more options, more gun too. Great gun!!

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2005 at 14:08

Just listed a SIG P229 .357 on GunBroker.com with no minimum and no reserve.

Steal it here.

carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2005 at 12:34
If you want something cheap to shoot go with a 9mm.  Sigs are great guns, they are not the cheapest but they are good quality and good shooters.  Glocks are good guns too.  Go to a gun store and handle a few different models to see which one feels the best in your hand.  The one you are most comfortable handling will give you the best accurancy results in my experience. Good luck!
M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2005 at 15:33

i grabbed a glock 17 today and liked the compactness of it. i'm not looking for any certain size or shape but this seems nice. i'm also contemplating on buying like a hamerli trailside 22 rimfire. i really like the gun but i kinda want a 9mm. not sure yet. i also shot the p94 ruger and liked it aswell. i'm yet to handle a sig or 1911 knock off. i'm also still debating on what i want to spend. i'd like to run somthing like 350 - 450 but if i found a really really nice gun that i really really like i might have to fork over some more bones. i dunno cause i'm not going to really go and shoot in any target shoots. not planning for home defense ( ha. i got an old ithica deer slayer witha  slug barrel, i got 00 buck in it. ha more effective than a pistol i guess.) and more or less i can guruntee that about any handgun in my price range is going to be more accurate than i am. i'm leaning towards the glock. the only thing i don't like about it is that it is kind of small for my massive hands. lol ne way. any experiences with the glock? ? ? ? any other suggestions. thx M77VT

BTW what do these guns run. also is the 9mm fairly accurate. like can i hit a lawnmower sized object at 50-100 yards?>

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2005 at 08:53
The  trigger release on Glock or Sig (the new and improved Browning Double Action) does not compare to the single action let of 1911 type guns (the method to get good accuracy for these guns is called "staging"). (even a CZ is much better) if long range shooting (50 yrds) is your object your still better off with a S&W revolver or a Taurus which has better target sights. The thicker the front sight and the wider the rear slot the faster the target can be acquired, but the less refinement for longer shots. A pump shotgun is awfully hard to stick in the waistband for a trip to the local 7-11 a handgun has its advantage in being on the person when needed. Cheap shooting 9mm ammo is not known for its accuracy which defeats your first premise. However reloaded cheap 38 wadcutter ammo is extremely accurate.
M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2005 at 19:34
yeah but i'm talking about having my deer slayer underneith my bed. i'm willing to bet with this gun and this load that if they walk into my house they won't walk out. lol i'm not to worried about people holding me up at the 7-11. besides most of the store owners in my area have somthing like a 12 guage under the counter, or somthign like a 480 hand gun.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2005 at 23:20
FBI and other police statistics show you to be more in threat at 3-5 yards in a public place (70 to 90%), than being able to wake up in time, IDENTIFY the target and shoot it with any gun while not stepping on the dogs bones. Beside how you gonna shoot that pump with one hand and hold a flashlight in the other while IDENTIFing the target?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2005 at 15:00

Friend, as Dale Clifford eluded to. The 1911 is THE best CQB handgun in the world.

It really has no equal in the arena of killing. Especially a .45 cal. 

Do yourself a favor and pick up a good brand name 1911, like Kimber, Colt, ect., and learn to use it. You'll be glad you did.

I carry my trusty Kimber Tac. Custom II everyday and have it at the ready when I go to bed.

Cocked and locked at all times,of course!!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2005 at 06:46
A lot of people seem to positively love 1911s, but frankly I never warmed up to them.  I just find something inherently wrong with a gun that needs to be customized to shoot well.  No matter who I talk to they tell that if you buy a basic off the shelf 1911 (i.e. under $800) expect to tinker with it.  Possible exception is a Springfield Custom Loaded.  It also does not help that theonly 1911 that well in my hand so far is a plastic framed BUL M5.

Oh well, to each his own.  I am very fond of my Sig P220 and Glock 31 though.  I also own a CZ75 Compact in 9mm and it works great.

Ilya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic