OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with Zeiss scope names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BULLET7SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Zeiss scope names
    Posted: August/20/2008 at 07:21
I was looking at buying a used Zeiss Diavari V T* 3-12X56.  I have seen some scopes that have Victory or Classic stamped on the eyepiece and some that do not.  Some have Diavari T*, Diavari V, Diavari V T* Diavari Z,  Diavari Z T* on the top of the eyepiece.  Can anyone tell me how to to tell which scope is which and possibly what year one was made.  I do have the model number and serial number if that would help.

BULLET

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 14:13
Welcome to Optics Talk!

Have you tried contacting Zeiss to see if they could help you, friend?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 17:00
look thru the posts for one of the forum members--Technika and pm him.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2008 at 18:06
The "T*" is one of thier high level coatings; Camera grade stuff. If that helps
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

BULLET7SST View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BULLET7SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 10:39

Yes, I did call Zeiss on two different occasions.  The first time I got someone who may have spoke English, but I could not understand a word she said so I asked to speak to someone else.  I got put on hold and I think I would still be on hold if I had not given up and hung up the phone.   The second time I called, I spoke to someone who had no clue about anything I asked, so they transferred me to someone who would know the answers.  I think I got the same woman from the day before.  I told her I could not understand her and hung up.  I have gotten tired of trying to talk to people in Customer Service that live in India.

I called again yesterday and finally got someone who could speak "American" English, although she did sound like she was from south of the border.  I got put on hold everytime I asked her a question but she was able to find the answer to every one of them.  Here is what she told me:

The Diavari Z was made prior to 2000.
The Diavari V is a Victory model and this line was introduced in 2000.  It replaced the Diavari Z with some improvements in glass, field of view, and weight. 
The Diavari Classic was made only in 2007 and was basically the Diavari Z.  It did not sell well and was discontinued.
If "Victory" is on the side of the eyepiece it is a newer model, 2006-present. 
If Diavari V 3-12x56 T* is on top of the eyepiece but nothing is on the side, it was made prior to 2006. 
The scopes marked with T* have the Twilight lens system with multicoating.  This started about 10 years ago and the newer Z models had this lens coating.  They would be marked Z T*.  The T* description from the Zeiss website, "maximum transmission and contrast are achieved throughout the entire spectral range."

If anyone has anything to add to this, please be my guest.
BULLET
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2008 at 18:14
...and if it says "Diavari VM," that means it's equipped with the scope mount rail.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic