OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

two first Kudus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: two first Kudus
    Posted: August/18/2008 at 15:54

Being a disabled person and going hunting can sometimes be extremely frustrating and sometimes extremely rewarding. It’s amazing what you can see if you sit in one spot and pay attention, to your surroundings. This is the story of my two first Kudus; sounds confusing let me explain.

Well I guess I got a bit tired of people giving me a shocked look, when I told them that I hadn’t shot a Kudu. I have been a second to slow or looking the wrong way sitting in my blind, or just plain strapped for cash on a number of occasions.

With the prices on Kudu just going up and up, I decided that 2008 would be the year I had to shoot a Kudu trophy or not. Well I got my chance, two in fact. They aren’t trophies by any means, and not anywhere close to SCI or Rowland Wards standards. But now I get an even bigger look of shock, when they guys at the local Gunshop (come meeting place) ask me what I shot this year. And I get to say two Kudu’s.

I shot this young bull in the Orange Free State on the farm Brandfontein near Fauresmith, I say shot as we where driving round in a vehicle at night. We where looking for Mountain Reedbuck at night with a light, as my friends to young sons where having a hard time with the 250m 300m shots during the day. I was just back up in case they wounded an animal, but we where sure we would see Kudu down by the river so I was ready just in case. Sure enough when we got to area between the river and the mountain, a herd of kudu went running towards the safety of the thick river bush. I just couldn’t get a shoot on the big Bull, and settled on this youngster. A relatively easy 135m head shot (well it is with a S&B Zenith with a Flashdot recticle), and I had my first Kudu. Not really ethically hunted, but heh in my position beggars can’t be choosers. He is what the guys here call a Bees horing Kudu (Cow horned), and slaughtered 100kg. The photo was taken the next morning, so he has been gutted already.

Now this guy I can Say I hunted, 3 days sitting in blind from morning to dusk, we where hunting on the farm Hartbeesdoring in the Tabazimbi area. I had seen lots of game, but was determined to actually hunt a Kudu. So I had passed up on a couple of different species (including Kudu cows, my friend was in the area behind them in a bow hunting blind), although I shot a Warthog on the second day (can’t seem to leave them alone). It was the last day of the hunt, and already past the time when I normally wouldn’t shoot due the light going fast. I always try to keep alert until I hear the guys come with the vehicle to pick me up; after all you never know what could come along. I just happened to be looking in the right direction, when this head popped out from behind a bush. KUDU, KUDU. That was the only thought going through my head; I had to wait till he turned his head so that I could move my tripod and rifle in his direction. My heart was pounding so loudly that I thought Mr 8 Shots down there in the Cape could hear it. I wanted to wait a bit to see if he was with some friends, but they could have been ten or fifteen minutes behind him for all I knew. I just didn’t have the time as the light was against me, and he was bigger than my other Kudu. So I decided I had to take him, he looked in my direction and then turned his head to the side. I put the recticle on the side of his head and squeezed, well I don’t think that I have ever squeezed any rifles trigger so perfectly. I thought the timney on my Ruger was never going to go off, at the shot he was down. Well then I got what we call buck fever, my hands where shaking so badly I could hardly open the bolt. He is 39 inches 15 inches short of a registered trophy, and slaughtered about 130kg (no scale on the farm). I’m so proud I don’t care if he makes Rowland ward or SCI. I hunted him, and I think it’s the animals we really have to work for that we remember the most.  One Kudu shot and one really hunted so my two first Kudu. This goes down as my best hunt ever, and 2008 was a good year of hunting.

5 Warthog

3 Impala

2 Springbuck

1 Gemsbok

2 Kudu

Not a bad haul even if I do say so myself, check out this Warthog sow I shot the same weekend as my larger Kudu. Biggest tusks I have ever seen on a sow, I kept looking to see if I couldn’t see a pair of gadgets that only us males have.

Happy hunting guys

Regards Chris

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 16:00
Awesome Chris, looks like you had tons of fun.  Thanks for sharing and for the pics, we always love good stories and pics.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 16:05

Thanks Supertool tons of fun is the right words, geuss it was my time to share. As i love the stories and pics too.

Regards Chris
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 16:13
What caliber rifle did you use?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 16:32
WOW, I hope you bought some of the optics in the pictures from us so you can enter our photo/story contest.  Congratulations!!!

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 16:36
Great job there Glock. Congratulations Sir!!!!! Remember the true trophy is the memory of the event. The wall mounts are only the added bonus. They are nice, and there are several of us here that are envious. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 16:36
Thunbs%20Up
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 18:29
Wow, great pictures, great story, just great. I am very happy for you. Looks like a the "hunt of a lifetime" everyone is always talking about.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 18:59
Yes, great pics and story, Chris.

Congratulations,
Doug
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 19:44
Congrats!  Glad you finally got your Kudu.  Excellent
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 20:00
Way to go!!!! Most impressive
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 22:29
Way to go, Chris. That was quite an assortment of animals you collected!!  Good photos...now you can eat all that meat!!!  Thunbs%20Up
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2008 at 06:58
Envy your hunts Chris!  Great pictures and story.

Enjoy your well earned steaks.
God save the Empire!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2008 at 07:42
outstainding Chris.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2008 at 08:35
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

outstainding Chris.

Christmas%20List
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2008 at 12:25
Thanks for all the great comments gents.

Supertool the rifle is a Ruger RBZ in 30-06 and is topped with a 2.5-10 x 56 S&B Zenith with a no 7 Flashdot recticle.

Sorry Chris but since I live in South Africa you can't export to us, I did email you about it once. And you explained the legality, why you cant. 

Ed I will definately contact Sant about your Xmass wish list for you.

Regards Chris.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 05:32
Nice hunt you had there Chris. Yes, the best hunt is allways the most difficult one. You will remember this kudu for the rest of your life. It is admirable that despite your disability you still get out there and hunt!
Two nice kudu and thanks for sharing your hunt with us!!
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2008 at 12:12
Thanks 8Shots have you picked up your rifle yet???????

Regards Chris
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 03:33
Yes, I have finally done the deed. I have made some posts under the rifle section.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic