OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Foucus Adj on SS 16X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foucus Adj on SS 16X
    Posted: August/17/2008 at 20:02
Looking at buying a SS from a guy at the club.  It's in mint condition, but the scope is blurry when looking through it.  The focus ring seems to be frozen or stuck in place.  Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2008 at 20:45
Are you referring to the parallax adjutment, or the ocular adjustment.

If parallax, only the ring itself turns.
If ocular, only the rearmost portion turns.
The fluted rear section of the SS line does not rotate.

If you already knew all that, and the adjustments won't move, there's a problem.
Hookset View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2008 at 21:24
Looks like I have a problem.  I knew about the rear parallax adjustment and all of my other scopes have the rear eyepiece focus. 

The focus ring on this one is stuck in place and I didn't want to force it too much. 
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2008 at 21:32
If it's not all the way forward, or rearward, it's possible to place a lot of force on it without doing any damage.  there's some lube on that assembly that, if not rotated for a few years ( like the same user owned it for a while ) if can turn to glue.
Hookset View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2008 at 21:36
Thanks Mike.  This really bums me out because I've been really wanting to get one of these scopes for a project gun.   I guess that I will try again to move it.
Hookset View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 08:25
I got the rear focusing ring to finally turn.  Mike, thanks again for the help!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 08:32
Hookset, PM Chris and see if he can warranty it?  You never know if you don't ask!!!  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Hookset View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2008 at 12:55
I got the ring to turn, but it's still blurry no matter how much you adjust it.  I have sent Chris an e-mail and will try to call him later.  Bummer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic