OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I am looking for a superb 1-4x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am looking for a superb 1-4x
    Posted: August/15/2008 at 14:58
For a Ruger 44 mag carbine.
Just cant see iron sights anymore.
This is a swamper pig gun.

Any rate my favorite scope so far of almost any is a leupold 2-7x II. Has a huge field of view image circle and is very light with sharp optics. Thats the sort of IQ I am looking for.

On the flip side the least fav is a Sightron Ser II 1.5-6x. Terrible, like looking down a tunnel, with a very small image circle. 

Looked at an Elite 3200 1.5 to something and it had a small image circle too. Did not like it.

Made the mistake of looking at a svarski 1-6x scope and it was beautiful. Huge image circle great potics.
$1600 though is too much for me.

So what I am looking for is a recommendation for a 1-4x or thereabouts, that is reasonbly priced, about $300-500 and has superb optics and a good FOV and a huge image circle.
Would like it light too.

Any help appreciated.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 15:27
Originally posted by tammons tammons wrote:

For a Ruger 44 mag carbine.
Just cant see iron sights anymore.
This is a swamper pig gun.

Any rate my favorite scope so far of almost any is a leupold 2-7x II. Has a huge field of view image circle and is very light with sharp optics. Thats the sort of IQ I am looking for.

On the flip side the least fav is a Sightron Ser II 1.5-6x. Terrible, like looking down a tunnel, with a very small image circle. 

Looked at an Elite 3200 1.5 to something and it had a small image circle too. Did not like it.

Made the mistake of looking at a svarski 1-6x scope and it was beautiful. Huge image circle great potics.
$1600 though is too much for me.

So what I am looking for is a recommendation for a 1-4x or thereabouts, that is reasonbly priced, about $300-500 and has superb optics and a good FOV and a huge image circle.
Would like it light too.

Any help appreciated.

.......Your definition of a huge image circle, is a wider FOV I presume??

You don`t need to spend $300-$500 in order to satisfy all of your requirements!

Although some may like it, a 2x7 on a 44 carbine is a LITTLE over scoping there, especially for a shorter range swamp pig gun! Guys put 2x7`s and 2x8`s on the `06`s and more powerful rounds!!

How about something with a better FOV`s than a 2x7?... 87' on the low end @100 yards!

How about something that is very light?

How about a scope that is extremely quick to the target with both eyes open aiming, which will be faster than any 2x7?

How about a scope, that is not only optically as good as the VX2 but may be a little brighter too?

How about a scope that only costs $150 bucs?

Look at the Weaver V3 1-3x20!!...Without hesitation, that`s my pic for a 44 mag. carbine!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 15:29
LOL, Squeeze you sound like an infomercial.  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 15:34
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

LOL, Squeeze you sound like an infomercial.  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
.............Laugh.............Just trying to be very thorough!!! If I suggest something, I usually state why!...............Big%20Grin
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 15:40
 Squeeze ......    

Edited by mercenary1947 - August/15/2008 at 15:41
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 15:42
tammons, my Ruger 44 carbine wears a Bushnell 1.75-4x32 Trophy.

- great exit pupil at all powers
- 73' field of view at 100 yds at 1.75
- weighs 11oz and less than 11 inch long (doesn't overpower that little rifle)

I hunt heavy timber and find it works great and is inexpensive.  The little Weaver that Sqeezer likes sounds good too.

Edited by Dogger - August/15/2008 at 15:44
God save the Empire!
tammons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 16:44
The image circle I mentioned above may be related to the FOV, but thats not exactly what I am talking about.

IE the 1.5-6x Sightron I already have, at 2x, has an apparent image circle about half the size of the image circle of the Leupold 2-7x when looking through the scope.
Thats the only way I know how to describe it.

Huge difference. So much so that after buying the leupold I could not even look through the sightron without getting disgusted.

Yes ease of targeting and weight are a consideration too.

The Leupold 2-7x  is very forgiving with eye placement, good eye relief and has that huge image circle, and its very easy to shoot.

Set my dad up with one on his browning BLR 243 and he loves it.

He KO'd a pig with it. Shot it in the head and he is 87 with bad eyes.

I will check out the Weaver.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 17:12

The image circle I mentioned above may be related to the FOV, but thats not exactly what I am talking about.

IE the 1.5-6x Sightron I already have, at 2x, has an apparent image circle about half the size of the image circle of the Leupold 2-7x when looking through the scope.
Thats the only way I know how to describe it.

Huge difference. So much so that after buying the leupold I could not even look through the sightron without getting disgusted.

Yes ease of targeting and weight are a consideration too.

The Leupold 2-7x  is very forgiving with eye placement, good eye relief and has that huge image circle, and its very easy to shoot.

Set my dad up with one on his browning BLR 243 and he loves it.

He KO'd a pig with it. Shot it in the head and he is 87 with bad eyes.

I will check out the Weaver.
..........OK! So you are getting a good FOV with the Sightron (no dark outer ring), but the image you see through the scope when set on the 2x, is smaller than the 2x setting with the Leupold?..... Did I get it right?..... Or! Is the FOV circle just smaller with the Sightron set on the 2x?.............

For your dad or anyone else for that matter, a 2x7 on a 243, is certainly a better choice for that cartridge and for that rifle. A 243 is about a 300 yard deer round. A 2x7 mounted on a Ruger 44 mag carbine, which is a 100 to a 150 yarder at best for hogs, is a different story.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 18:43
I am not entirely sure what you mean by an image circle (other than apparent magnification which is higher than labeled on the Leupy), but the most appropriate scope for your carbine is probably something along the lines of a 1-3x20 Weaver V3.  There are not a whole lot of scopes of this type that have 1" tubes.  The best one in terms of optics is Sightron S2 Big Sky 1.25-5x20.  Then there are a few different Leupolds: 1-4x20 in the VX-1 and VX-2 line-ups and 1.5-5x20 in the VX-3 line-up.

If you are willing to go to a 30mm tube, then there are several excellent options in a few price ranges.  How much money are you looking to spend?

As far as image quality goes, VX-2 2-7x32 is far from being a paragon of image quality.  There are a lot of much better scopes out there, but you have to decide how much you want to spend, weight limits, magnification range, etc.

ILya
tammons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 18:47
Originally posted by Big Squeeze
<DIV>For your dad or anyone else for that matter, a 2x7 on a 243, is certainly a better choice for that cartridge and for that rifle. A 243 is about a 300 yard deer round. [/QUOTE Big Squeeze
For your dad or anyone else for that matter, a 2x7 on a 243, is certainly a better choice for that cartridge and for that rifle. A 243 is about a 300 yard deer round. [/QUOTE wrote:

Depends on how far you are shooting.
His shots, now that he is 87, dont exceed 100 yards.

I also dont think you have to have

Depends on how far you are shooting.
His shots, now that he is 87, dont exceed 100 yards.

I also dont think you have to have a higher power scope to hunt with at 300 yards unless you are shooting gophers. A few weeks ago I personally dropped a 225# boar with one shot, with an el cheapo 3-9x mil-dot sightron at 300 yards on a 7mm-08 custom barreled savage. I had that 2-7x on it before that and I am sure it would have done fine.
BTW an excellent scope for $130.
Higher power is nice, but it has drawbacks too.

My dads favorite rig for years until he needed glasses was a 30-06 with iron sights, and I have seen him  drop a running deer at 200 yards, one shot.
After he needed glasses next was a straight 4x.
I think most of his rifles have had variables in the 8x range.

The reason for using this scope on that gun is mostly because he likes the gun, low recoil and its light and he has eye problems, and needed a large eye relief and a forgiving retical which that scope has.

Some scopes we tried, he just could not see through that well and that has a lot to do with age and eye placement. A scope like that Leupold 2-7x helps a lot when you are 87 with cataracts.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 18:55
Then due to his eye sight, you just may need to stick with the 2x7 higher variable.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 19:21
I think what he is referring to is the image includes a lot of the interior of the scope. This happens in some of the lower end scopes. The BSA line is bad about this. You get the same effect when your eye is to close to the ocular on better scopes. I am not familiar with the Sightron scopes so I am not positive if this is a correct interpretation. The Sightron II Bigsky 1.25 -5 that is closest thing on SWFA to compare has a 79" FOV at the lowest power.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 19:25
I bet what tammons is referring to when he speaks of a larger or smaller "image circle" is the view encountered when you look through a scope with prominent "tunnel vision" (that gives the optical illusion of having smaller FOV) vs. a scope without the tunnel effect.  When the view through the scope extends to the edge of the eyepiece and isn't bracketed by a wide black circle that makes the image appear further from your eye, FOV and magnification appears to be greater.

Edited by RifleDude - August/15/2008 at 19:28
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 19:55
How about a Trijicon 1.25-4 or a Bushnell Elite 4200 ... Illum reticle will stand out to older eyes, and plenty FOV
tammons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 21:50
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I bet what tammons is referring to when he speaks of a larger or smaller "image circle" is the view encountered when you look through a scope with prominent "tunnel vision" (that gives the optical illusion of having smaller FOV) vs. a scope without the tunnel effect.  When the view through the scope extends to the edge of the eyepiece and isn't bracketed by a wide black circle that makes the image appear further from your eye, FOV and magnification appears to be greater.

Correct
tammons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 21:57
Back on track.
My dad has my old Leupold 2-7x and loves it so he is set.

The 1-4x is not for him, its for me, so I need a 1-4x for my 44 mag ruger carbine but want a 1-4x scope without tunnel vision which was mentioned above.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 22:16

Back on track.
My dad has my old Leupold 2-7x and loves it so he is set.

The 1-4x is not for him, its for me, so I need a 1-4x for my 44 mag ruger carbine but want a 1-4x scope without tunnel vision which was mentioned above.

..................Then I`d go with the Weaver 1-3x20 V3 @ $150 for that carbine. It has everything your looking for as I mentioned before. No need for a $299, 2x7 Leupold for shorter range swamp pig hunting.

The V3`s optics should be a little better and somewhat brighter than the VX2`s. A much better deal for $150.

Read the reviews and ratings on the major competitor site. For the most part, 5 stars across the board.........
tammons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 09:03
Never said I wanted the 2-7x on the 44 mag.

Want a 1-4x, but a 1-3x is close enough.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 09:36

Never said I wanted the 2-7x on the 44 mag.

Want a 1-4x, but a 1-3x is close enough.
.......Ooops!
tammons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 09:42
Thanks for the help.

I think I have it narrowed down to the Weaver and a couple of others.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic