OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Magnum lock on IOR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artifex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnum lock on IOR?
    Posted: December/24/2004 at 19:02
Does anyone know why it says not to adjust the magnum lock on IOR scopes?   Just curious....
Whence Came you?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2004 at 04:09

The magnum lock is preset at the factory and shouldnt be fooled with AT ALL!!

A buddy and IOR dealer of mine said he had to mess with it, and ended up sending it back to IOR to fix.

JUST SAY NO!! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
artifex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artifex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2004 at 06:44

Yeah, the instructions said that much... I was wondering exactly what happens if one fools with the magnum lock. 

Did your friend who had to send the scope back  say what happened?

I wonder why they made this an external adjustment if they didn't want it messed with. 

Odd...

Whence Came you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2004 at 07:20

He thought that it may be a good idea to turn the screw. He was wrong!!

The adjustment is only meant to be turned by a IOR tech, I would think.

I believe that the screw holds the erector tube in place. I may be wrong.

I realize that I'm stating the obvious, but I didnt mess with mine, because the manual says not to....That's good enough for me. YMMV though.

artifex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artifex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2004 at 11:19

Ohhhh... I figured it out!

A pal at AR15.com set me straight.

I was worried because my girlfriend, on inspecting the scope, turned what I thought was the adjustment. 

I see now that that is just the cap over the screw though, and as long as you don't actually turn the screw itself - which is on the inside - it doesn't mess with the adjustment.  

Oh that makes me feel better...was worried there for a bit.

Whence Came you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2004 at 13:47

I didnt mean to smart ass you, sir. I did the same thing w/ my first IOR.

I never actually turned the screw, but had the caps off and considered turning it...

I had the 2.5-10 Tactical model. I put the sun shade on it and showed it to a friend. The friend twisted the sunshade off, the threads locked, and he inadvertantly screwed the objective housing out a few turns!! YIKES!!

The objective lens housing couldnt have been tight to begin with. My friend knows his way around firearms and such, and didnt know it was backing out when he twisted the sun shade.   

The whole scope had to go back to Val @ IOR to be fixed. They actually replaced the scope, if I remember correctly. 

artifex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artifex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2004 at 14:47

Really?  

The whole scope had to go back? wow...did unscrewing the lens that little bit cause that much of a problem?  I suppose it could break the seal and let the nitrogen leak out or something...

Something for me to keep in mind.  Thanks for the tip...

Whence Came you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2004 at 15:17
Originally posted by artifex artifex wrote:

Really?  

The whole scope had to go back? wow...did unscrewing the lens that little bit cause that much of a problem?  I suppose it could break the seal and let the nitrogen leak out or something...

Something for me to keep in mind.  Thanks for the tip...

After that the scope wouldnt focus. It was really weird!!

I'm not sure if the nitrogen let out or not. Probably did.

But, I guess that he probably unscrewed it 3 or 4 revolutions before I stopped him. He was talking to me and didnt even realize he did it.

The reason he stopped unscrewing it, was because I saw little bits of black silicon falling out.

Val gave me a leture about "not unscrewing" the objective lens housing, but I told him I wasn't trying to mess with it, it just happened. I informed him it was a quality control issue as far as I was concerned.

He said that those housings are torqued to so many pounds, and are not supposed to come off.

I like one piece scope tubes now.

Anywho, he fixed or replaced it. I don't remember. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic