OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Scope???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpdoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Scope???
    Posted: August/14/2008 at 21:50
Hi all, new guy on the forum here.  I have recently bought a new toy, Rem 700 375 H&H,  I have 2 scopes I can put on it with quick release rings.  I have a Leupy VX1 3-9 and a Bushnell 3200 elite 3-9x40.  The bushy is alittle shorter scope and looks better I think. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 22:03
the leupold has more eye relief but the 3200 has way better glass
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 23:00
Trade them both in for a VX-2 or 3 and don't worry about how it looks... Think 2-7x33 or the 1.75-6whatever.  Get stuff lapped in to
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 02:44
Originally posted by tpdoff tpdoff wrote:

Hi all, new guy on the forum here.  I have recently bought a new toy, Rem 700 375 H&H,  I have 2 scopes I can put on it with quick release rings.  I have a Leupy VX1 3-9 and a Bushnell 3200 elite 3-9x40.  The bushy is alittle shorter scope and looks better I think. 
..................Which scope you ask???......NEITHER ONE! Thumbs%20Down

Several reasons:

#1)... Do you plan to hunt dangerous game at short to moderate ranges? If you do, then all 3x9`s (with the exception of a 3x9 Trijicon), do not have the quicker target acquisition and aiming speed (both eyes open aiming), like the lower powered variables do. You must close your non aiming eye, which increases your time in acquiring the target..... NOT a good idea to have a scope that slows a hunter down just in case of a life threatening situation. No matter how remote the chances, it only takes once to lose a life! A faster scope that sends a faster signal to the brain, which decreases the reaction and acquiring time is so much better!

#2) The 3x9`s have reduced FOV`s, which also along with closing one eye, increases your time to react, acquire and aim, which also slows one down. Not a good idea for dangerous game. (Even though the 3x9 Trijicon has less FOV vs lower powered variables, it nevertheless is a much quicker scope). 

#3) 3x9`s are heavier by several ounces and have higher profiles.

#4) The Bushnell 3200 has a shorter eye relief, a little too short for a 375, while the quality of the VX1 optically, is towards the lower end of the Leupold totem pole.

If you don`t plan on hunting dangerous game, or do much hunting in closer cover, then a good quality, well built 3x9 scope with good optics and good eye relief (at least 3.5"), is ok, though not my 1st choice for a 375.

A dangerous game rifle (DGR), should be nice and quick. The wrong scope will slow things down and can be dangerous. 

I`d go with a straight tube lower powered variable, like a 1-4x20 VX2, the 1.5x5x20 VX3, the straight tubed lower variable Sightron Big Sky. A scope along those lines offer better speed, better FOV`s, lighter weight, lower profile (no obj. bells) and makes your rifle look like what it`s suppose to be,,,A DGR!

A 4x to 5x on the high end, regardless of terrain, is more than sufficient for any game and at any distances from where you`d normally take game using a 375 to begin with.

I have a 1.5-5x20 VX3 that sits on top of my 20" tubed .375 Ruger Alaskan...You wanna talk about some speed in acquring, aiming and firing?? Wink

Keep your rifle as fast handling as possible!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 08:54
That is good advice.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tpdoff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpdoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 09:21
Awsome!  Hey thanks for advice,  I have begun looking at some other scopes that fit that bill.  So many to choose from.  I love the VX3's thought. 
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 09:28
 Looks .... man .... looks is the last thing anyone should be worrying about in a scope and these dumb posts of " it weighs 3 ounces more than the other one " what limp wristed guy is going to worry about weight in mere ounces ???? I never in my life went to a firearms fashion show . I usually keep my mouth shut on those posts ... but it's useage and dependability . Purrrrrty is not what you want .  FUNCTION and RELIABILITY in all ares . And I agree with Squeeze totally  " Keep your rifle as fast handling as possible! "  and functional ... not purrrty ! The leupolds are overpriced .... but if that's what you like and want ... buy it .

Edited by mercenary1947 - August/15/2008 at 09:30
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 09:44
I think a 375 H&H would be great with a scope if you were going to go bear hunting or elk hunting with it.  But if you're going to have a dangerous, man-killing creature rush out at you from 38 feet away you will wish you had a SHOTGUN!!  For cape buffalo use iron sights and get within 150 yards.....and use a .416 or something...
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 10:21

Awsome!  Hey thanks for advice,  I have begun looking at some other scopes that fit that bill.  So many to choose from.  I love the VX3's thought. 
..................In the lower powered DGR variables, Leupold offers the best scope selection along with a variety of reticle selections.............For your .375 imo, the 1.5-5x20 VX3 with the German #4 reticle (my scope), would be the best choice in the Leupold line. That 1.5-5 variable magnification, its good FOV`s, with the #4 reticle is ideal for a .375 H&H.........The #4 is a very fast acquiring reticle, which is considered by many to be the best hunting reticle as well.

The 1.75-5 Burris Sig. Select Safaris would also fill the bill as a DGR scope. But their FOV`s are not as wide as the VX3`s and they may not have, due to their obj. bells, enough mounting tube length as the straight tubed scopes do needed for a long action H&H.......Off-setting rings look horrible in my view, which you would need, IF your mounting tube length isn`t long enough or barely fits.........On a DGR, especially ones with longer actions, a longer mounting tube length is just another advantage that the straight tubed scopes have over the obj. belled scopes............
tpdoff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpdoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 10:49
I hear ya,  I'm not totally looking for a scope just for it's looks.  I'm aware of needing a scope of quality and dependability.  A trip to africa isn't out of the question, I know a fella from Africa and his father owns land there.  Of course that is once and a lifetime probably trip, so if I use it here in the good ol USofA, will probably be with my uncle in Wyoming black bear and Elk hunting.  For the most part It's mainly a toy,  have just to have it.  I'm not sure if this will help with scope selection or not,  perhaps 2 scopes for it,  one for DGR side of it and one when I head to the mountains??? 
tpdoff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpdoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 11:03
Hey, Whatcha all think about the Bushnell 4200 1.25-4?
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 11:34
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I think a 375 H&H would be great with a scope if you were going to go bear hunting or elk hunting with it.  But if you're going to have a dangerous, man-killing creature rush out at you from 38 feet away you will wish you had a SHOTGUN!!  For cape buffalo use iron sights and get within 150 yards.....and use a .416 or something...
....TPDOFF!................Please excuse my esteemed postin collegue Mr. Ed!  BanditoBanditoBandito ......Smoking????...........  I`ll respectfully dis-agree!

Iron sites out to 150 yards??? Iron sites out to maybe 75 to 85 yards tops for assurance of a good vitals hit!!!.......A shotgun??? A shotgun, unless fired from damn near point blank range, will more than likely wound and piss off a big bear more, rather than kill him,,,,,,IN TIME!..... That`s the difference! Will it be,,,,,IN TIME!!

Any professionally guided dangerous game hunt, whether it be for the big bears, bison, or any dangerous African game, the PH`s will always bring along as back up, unscoped rifles in case of a charge. That does not mean that you shouldn`t use a scope. The right scope!

A scope insures a good FIRST hit to begin with, so that a charge will be less likely to occur in the first place. If so, then you have the back-ups just in case they are needed.

A .375 is very capable of taking a big bear beyond 100-150 yards. If there is no opportunity to get closer, take a shot with just the iron sites?? I don`t think so!

Contrary to what some may believe, the RIGHT scope with some practice, is just as fast as the iron sites are by themselves, even in an emergency. If someone says different, then they are not experienced enough, or they have not practiced enough with the right scope to know better.

Well, I have practiced and I am very experienced when it comes to that dept.Thunbs%20Up
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 11:45
I agree, with irons sights you have to line up 3 things to make a hit.  With a scope it is only two.  And at 150 yards irons can cover up way to much of the target.  Not saying it can't be done, but why handicap yourself when you can use a scope.  I don't agree that irons are faster either.  I know for a fact for me a 1x scope is considerably easier for me to get on target quickly that trying to line up two sights and the target.  No comparison.

With a Shotgun even if you get a rifled barrel and shoot slugs all you have is an inaccurate rifle, what is the point. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 11:46

Hey, Whatcha all think about the Bushnell 4200 1.25-4?
.............Getting alot better there! It has excellent FOV`s and would be very quick to the target! The only drawback to the 4200 is its shorter eye relief. Will it be enough for you sitting on a .375???

I had a 3x9 4200 as a temporary set up on my Alaskan until I got my 1.5-5x20 VX3. I was never scope whacked. But that was me. The 4200`s eye relief  may not work for you or be enough!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 11:56
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

I`ll respectfully dis-agree!

Iron sites out to 150 yards??? Iron sites out to maybe 75 to 85 yards tops for assurance of a good vitals hit!!!.......A shotgun??? A shotgun, unless fired from damn near point blank range, will more than likely wound and piss off a big bear more, rather than kill him,,,,,,IN TIME!..... That`s the difference! Will it be,,,,,IN TIME!!

I
Any professionally guided dangerous game hunt, whether it be for the big bears, bison, or any dangerous African game, the PH`s will always bring along as back up, unscoped rifles in case of a charge. That does not mean that you shouldn`t use a scope. The right scope!

A scope insures a good FIRST hit to begin with, so that a charge will be less likely to occur in the first place. If so, then you have the back-ups just in case they are needed.

A .375 is very capable of taking a big bear beyond 100-150 yards. If there is no opportunity to get closer, take a shot with just the iron sites?? I don`t think so!

Contrary to what some may believe, the RIGHT scope with some practice, is just as fast as the iron sites are by themselves, even in an emergency. If someone says different, then they are not experienced enough, or they have not practiced enough with the right scope to know better.

Well, I have practiced and I am very experienced when it comes to that dept.Thunbs%20Up

Well, guess I'll have to respectfully disagree with YOU, Big Squeeze.
I too have practiced and have experience, and I CAN shoot with iron sights at much further than 150yds. MUCH further.   While I would not be using a 375, I WOULD take the shot at a big bear beyond 150.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 11:58

I hear ya,  I'm not totally looking for a scope just for it's looks.  I'm aware of needing a scope of quality and dependability.  A trip to africa isn't out of the question, I know a fella from Africa and his father owns land there.  Of course that is once and a lifetime probably trip, so if I use it here in the good ol USofA, will probably be with my uncle in Wyoming black bear and Elk hunting.  For the most part It's mainly a toy,  have just to have it.  I'm not sure if this will help with scope selection or not,  perhaps 2 scopes for it,  one for DGR side of it and one when I head to the mountains??? 
............No need to have 2 scopes for your 375! Why?.......Whether you`re in timber, out on the open plains, in the mountains or where-ever, the 5x on the high end is enough magnification for a 375! A 300 to 400 yard shot on a deer, elk or moose?......NO problem with a high end 5x.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 12:00
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I too have practiced and have experience, and I CAN shoot with iron sights at much further than 150yds. MUCH further.   While I would not be using a 375, I WOULD take the shot at a big bear beyond 150.

I do agree that you can make hits at 150+ easily with irons.  I can hit a man sized target at 400 yards nearly everytime with my AR with irons.  It is all about the training.  But I do not believe they are faster than a 1x scope or dot
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 12:02
No disagreement there.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 12:03

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2008 at 12:11
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

I`ll respectfully dis-agree!

I

............You go right ahead then!... Shooting longer ranges with just iron sites is one thing. Properly hitting the vitals to insure an ethically humane kill is quite another.....I`m sure you  have had some good experiences with just using the iron sites and have killed humanely and ethically..........But certainly you would agree that using a scope, offers much better assurance or insurance of better or more precise hits a much greater percentage of the time???.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic