OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Scope Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300winlongmag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Scope Opinions
    Posted: December/24/2004 at 10:59
I know this has been discussed a lot already, but I am considering trying a Burris Scope (Fullfield II 6.5x20- 50 or Signature Select 6x24-44) with the BalMildot reticle for my Ruger M77 .300win.  I really like Leupolds, I have 2 VariX-IIIs and 1 VariX-II but they have about priced themselves out of my market on their higher end scopes.  The Burris Scopes seem to have a lot of features at a better price.  Any opinions would be appreaciated. 
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2004 at 18:58
Yeah, pretty good bang for the buck.  I have found that you can rarely use 24 power on anything due to mirage, fog or rain.  But, whatever your heart desires.... maybe the 4.5-14 Burris FullfieldII?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2004 at 14:53

what range will you be using it for, unless you have the target ruger, which i dont think is available in 300 win mag, but im no expert, because i absolutely hate ruger, but its not going to be all that accurate too far, so you might not be shooting far enough you need a 30mm tube, but i think you should still look at the black diamond 4-16, because it offers a side parralax, and i completely agree with gozarian, no need for the 6-24, on the top end mirage is going to take effect, and on the bottom end your just increasing it by 2X, and on a running shot a 6X scope may not be too fun. but if your not doing any long range work, and dont prefer a side focus, you may be well suited with just the FF4 4.5-14x42 ballistic plex, as gozarian also mentioned.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
300winlongmag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300winlongmag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2004 at 16:30

I'm not interested in long range target shooting.  The Vari X III 3.5x10 I have on the rifle now is fine for making shots on deer out to three to four hundred yards.  The reason I want the higher magnification is to get a better look as quickly as possible.   Some of my deer stands are on timber access roads and there is no time to use binoculars.   It is difficult to size up a deer rack at four hundred yards on 10x.  I'm really just wanting opinions on the quality of Burris scopes compared to the Leupolds and others in that price range.  I've also been looking at the Signature Select 4x16-44, you're probably right, the 6x24 might be a little much for my application.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2004 at 19:34

yes, go with the 4-16 then. i beleave the black diamond is a touch clearer than the signature aswell, but thats jsut to my eye.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Herbort View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 21:06
Originally posted by 300winlongmag 300winlongmag wrote:

I know this has been discussed a lot already, but I am considering trying a Burris Scope (Fullfield II 6.5x20- 50 or Signature Select 6x24-44) with the BalMildot reticle for my Ruger M77 .300win.  I really like Leupolds, I have 2 VariX-IIIs and 1 VariX-II but they have about priced themselves out of my market on their higher end scopes.  The Burris Scopes seem to have a lot of features at a better price.  Any opinions would be appreaciated. 
Herbort View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 21:10

Originally posted by 300winlongmag 300winlongmag wrote:

I recently purchased the Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 with the ballistic plex.  It is a very economical scope and I am VERY pleased with it.  I like the ballistic plex.  It's extremly clear looking into the sun light. I would recommend a Burris.

NZ_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZ_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2005 at 00:12

an extensive comparison test was done between the leupold vx-II and the burris fullfield-II... it even went as far as to cut each scope in half long ways and compare the inner components... The burris came out on top. As far as quality goes the fullfield II is in between the VX-II and the VX-III even tho it may be cheaper than both? i think its cheaper than both over here in New Zealand.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic