OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best scope?
    Posted: August/12/2008 at 15:17
been researching this to death, need some input. I have a remington 700pss in 300 ultramag, choate ultimate sniper stock, harris brs bipod, custom muzzlebrake and trigger, 20moa farrell base, all the goodies. weighs appr. 17lbs. this is my "toy", looking for the best glass in the 800-1200 dollar price range?? considerations have been, swarovski av 6-18x50, mk4 4.5-14x50, horus vision raptor4-16x50, nikon tactical 4-16x50, elite 6500 4.5-30x50, and maby a z6 demo 2-12x50. HELP!!!!!!!
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 15:27

If adequate eye relief, tracking, repeatability, glass quality, and a world class customer service dept in the highly unlikely event that you'll ever need it mean anything to you, theres really only 1 choice......The choice of working professionals. Excellent

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 15:38
" Well, we heard fwom Otimus Pwime and he thinks Weupold is the best...Anyone else wanna twy one...? "

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 15:45
Oooops...I forgot about the comments from the OT peanut gallery...Roll%20Eyes 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 15:53
Originally posted by Optimus Prime Optimus Prime wrote:

If adequate eye relief, tracking, repeatability, glass quality, and a world class customer service dept in the highly unlikely event that you'll ever need it mean anything to you, theres really only 1 choice......The choice of working professionals... Excellent

who get a significant discount.

If you get an LE or military discount, Leupold is a good choice; however, if you do not get the discount, something else is almost always the better deal.

At what ranges will you be shooting?

in truth, for that rifle, I would recommend this:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12303-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

They also make a 3-18; however, the configuration of the main tube leaves too little room on the back to mount a ring and still have adjustment range for a long-action rifle.

4-14X will do nicely for anything out to 800+ yards, and IOR's elevation range is generous.

If I were you, I'd skip Leupold unless you get the discount.  The IOR is a much better scope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:08
RC, clean out your mail box
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:10
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

" Well, we heard fwom Otimus Pwime and he thinks Weupold is the best...Anyone else wanna twy one...? "

......... Hey Optwimus.................Even I,,,, bought a 1.5-5x20 Wee X thwee for my,,,, twee 75 Wooo-ger Awaskan!!.......
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:13
I agree with RC, Go with the IOR.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:22
IOR Thunbs%20Up, Leupold Thumbs%20Down
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:30
With the Leupold 4.5-14x you may have a problem mounting it on a long action.  You may not be able to get the scope pulled back far enough towards your eye to get proper eye relief.  THe bell of the scope hits the front of the base.  I seen that on two short action rifles this spring at a rifle class.  They both since then have had their stocks cut shorter.  So I am thinking with a long action this could really pose a problem. 

The IOR 4-14x is longer and will probably work better for you.

Leupold 4.5-14x

If you want to go with the Leupold I would get this one.  It will give you a little more length to play with.  Leupold 6.5-20x

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:32
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

IOR Thunbs%20Up, Leupold Thumbs%20Down

Leupold has a world class customer service dept and custom shop. 
IOR has....Val.  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing Excellent

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:36
My one problem with IOR out of the 6 I have had and I had a brand new scope in my hands in a week.  That is pretty good service if you ask me.

And I would rather be able to see my target well than be able to brag about Leupold have a cool custom shop.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:52
Although I own a VX3, I`m not a big Leupy fan either. Pay more; get less!...........But they do offer a huge selection in the 1" straight tubed, low powered variables, with great eye relief for the DGR`s; my Ruger Alaskan as an example................Though there are better scopes optically for less and even more money out there, my VX3 will still do the job well on any hunt.   
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:58
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

My one problem with IOR out of the 6 I have had and I had a brand new scope in my hands in a week.  That is pretty good service if you ask me.

Well now, I'm truly happy for your good fortune, BUT not everybody has been as fortunate as you concerning IOR's much maligned CS dept.
Some of the less fortunate IOR customers that have struggled with IOR's CS even frequent this forum.
But, I digress.

I'm not one to name names or anything that counter-productive. Wink    
300ultra View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 17:00
nobody likes swarovski or nikon i guess, but thanks for the input, good point on the scope length on a long action!!!!! 6.5-20x50 mk4 possible.the ior 4-14 pics that i see either have the large knobs or small, which is which??
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 17:03
For the price you pay and what little you get with that Leo, They should hand deliver the dang thing and give you a Kiss too.  Like CS is the only thing that matters, how about bang for your buck?  Sorry you just can't convince me.

I will agree with you about Dale though!!!  
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 17:06
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Though there are better scopes optically for less and even more money out there, my VX3 will still do the job well on any hunt.   

Ok...you bought the Leupold because it was more expensive and you LOVE over spending Bucky or it was the best scope for the job? Loco

Man this place makes me dizzy from all the spin.....I need a drink!   

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 17:18
Optimus, nice to know you haven't changed, everything is right with the world.

Leupold has great customer service and decent product; IOR has great product and decent customer service: spend the money where you want.  Since I don't use Customer Service in my day-to-day shoting, I choose the product every time.

Swaro makes an exceptional scope but, like I said before, the AH isn't designed for the recoil you will be generating.  Call their Service Department and they will recommend you not put an AH on a 300RUM.

Nikon is OK, their tactical scope is not bad for the price, but not in the same league with the IOR - glass or features.

If you plan on long-range shooting, it's nice top have the large elevation knob so you don't get lost spinning up your dope.

Mailbox cleared, fire away.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 17:23
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Optimus, nice to know you haven't changed, everything is right with the world.

Bow

I like to call it consistant. Wink
300ultra View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 17:35
ok no swarovski av, what about the z6(z6i) vs. the ior?????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic