OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millett LRS-1 Problems....Uggh......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millett LRS-1 Problems....Uggh......
    Posted: August/11/2008 at 21:59
Hey Guys, first time poster, longtime lurker.
I just recently purchased a Millett LRS-1 (6-25x56) riflescope for my rifle in .308 Win., and after 100 rounds and two days of use, I'm unfortunately not happy with the results.  The rifle is currently used in rifle competitions, and is of known sub-MOA capability.  My attempt to use a Millett was as an "upgrade" to the SS10x42 riflescope, which I dearly love and have owned several.  Excited like always about new optics, I opened the package and at first was impressed.

The riflescope looked beautiful, but closer inspection made me think of its designers.  I could see them stating "bigger is better", and "let's give everyone what they want".  The main tube is a whopping 35mm as opposed to 30mm.  It comes with a huge 8" sunshade which dwarfs the M700VS, and the turret knobs were already mushy.  Stunned after the monster I built, the rifle now had a "Tacticool" look to it.  Everyone who isn't actively involved in optics/shooting sports will be immediately impressed.  The rest of us won't be.    Lovely...

Boresighted and ready to go, I dialed-in in a mere 7 shots at 100 yards, the group well centered and small, and I headed to the big bore rifle range to work further distances.

I shot the 200, 300, 600, 800, 900, and 1,000 yard lines.

After dialing my 300 yard dope, I produced a group in the 8 ring at 12 o'clock.  Note the POI.  I then adjusted to center my group. 

Then I headed to the 600 yard line, producing three five-round groups, POI at 12 o'clock.  I adjusted and centered the group well.   

The 800 and 900 yard lines went well, though I didn't like POI, again at 12 o'clock. 

At 1,000 yards I produced a 7" group at 12 o'clock in the 7 ring.  Then I dialed 2 MOA lower to center my group in the X-ring, only to get a shock.  After adjusting, twice with two groups, the POI wouldn't shift lower.  I physically could not click down in elevation to impact the X-10 rings.   

Puzzled, I headed to the 600 yard line and produced a five-shot group that scored as follows;  X, 10, 9, 8, 7--all perfectly vertical.  No, this isn't vertical stringing due to breathing while firing.  Did I mention I was shooting off sandbags?  My dope suddenly shifted from 13M at 600 yard to 10M at 600 yards.  Oh my, what have we here??? 

Now really concerned, I headed to the 300 yard line, dialed my dope, and couldn't keep the rounds from going out of the black, at, you guessed it, 12 o'clock. 

I then further demoted myself back to the 100 yard line from which I had dialed some two hours previous, only to find the POI shift to 4-6 MOA high!!!  The riflescope did this twice over two days!  The riflescope would NOT return to it's 100 yard elevation zero!!  Oddly windage didn't seem affected.   

Guys, I bought me a lemon...

Other things I didn't like;  Made in China; mushy turret knobs, weird eye relief problems on different powers, bad clarity at 25X no matter the distance, turret knobs didn't sit flush after changing dope, scope cap that would hit me in the forehead, and the fact I had to mil for ranging on 25X. 

Some upgrade.  I never had these problems with the SS10x42.

Caveat Emptor "Buy Beware!"   
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 04:17
Give Millett a call, I am sure they will take care of you.

All companies make duds occasionally, it is how they deal with them that makes a difference.

ILya
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 14:55
Unfortunately Millet is pretty consistent with their duds.  We have heard more complaints than praises from Millet LRS owners.  I don't know of any China produced scope line that does not have quality control issues.
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 15:32
Forget the range bunny knock-off crap and come back home to Leupold, dude.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 17:31
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Unfortunately Millet is pretty consistent with their duds.  We have heard more complaints than praises from Millet LRS owners.  I don't know of any China produced scope line that does not have quality control issues.

I havn't really had a chance to play with the LRS, so I do not know.  TRS-1 has been pretty robust, I think.

ILya
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 11:44
We are getting more and more returns due to poor quality.  I hope that Bushnell acquiring them resolves this.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 12:28
I do too, I have a 6X25 paper wieght buck gold.  LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 19:03
It is saddening to hear this. I guess there are budget constraints keeping Steve from making his QC trips to China. Perhaps the Bushnell negotiations may have had this on hold. Time will tell I suppose.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 20:24
I really need to trade this paper weight for some Burris extreme rings and bases for a project 700 for my son.  But I don't have the heart to unload the thing on some unsuspecting soul.   LOL

what's the saying Caveat Emptor!!!   I guess I was the one P.T. Barnum was talking about!!  LOL

Edited by Steelbenz - September/04/2008 at 20:27
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2008 at 09:57

dang shame..when i got started into LR shooting, i was told to buy a super sniper 10x. being hardheaded i wanted more, tacticool etc, but after a bunch of research i bought the SS and its been great over a few thousand rounds on a couple rifles. thought once i wanted to upgrade, looked researched again, and decided to upgrade this coming october...by going to the BADLANDS basic LR class. im guessin itll  payoff better than buying a new scope, as my SS has been nothing short of perfect. the dealbreaker for me was a day i had my son at mifflin for his first time shootin LR, i got him on target on a tough wind day w a mean mirage out to 700yds. we took a break, and after a few minutes my son was ready to try for our 800yd steel gong. i looked through the spotting scope to give him a correction, and was left a bit speechless. the wind while not strong, was blowing different directions at different distances, mirage was swrirlin and bobbin, and i had no idea what to give him. at that point i decided it was time to spend the money i had saved for a 'better' scope, and get some instruction from the pros.

lear

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2008 at 10:36
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I really need to trade this paper weight for some Burris extreme rings and bases for a project 700 for my son.  But I don't have the heart to unload the thing on some unsuspecting soul.   LOL

what's the saying Caveat Emptor!!!   I guess I was the one P.T. Barnum was talking about!!  LOL

Did you get your Millet paper weight from SWFA?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2008 at 12:46
Chris, is it just the LRS that you are seeing a lot of returns on or the TRS as well?

ILya
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2008 at 15:17

In the entire Millet line only three scopes sell, the "tactical" ones...LRS, DMS, TRS.  Due to availability we have sold more of the DMS and have gotten more of those back but if you look at how many of each we've sold vs. how many returned it is about even on all three products.

The "tactical" rings are also very poor quality but most people don't complain because they are under $50.  Realistically they should be priced at $14.95 in my opinion.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2008 at 16:15
Thanks, Chris.

I have not used their tactical rings, but they did not look particularly polished.

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2008 at 17:46
No Chris, friends Kid worked for sporting goods store needed to make a sale. Took one for the team.  LOL
bshaw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 20:07
Hey Guys

Brand new here. Was just reading this thread, I have a TRS-1 that is back at Millett, bought it in July mounted it on my Rem 700 .308 varmint and took it shooting. Was impressed with the optics (clarity, brightness and contrast) first problem I noticed was the side focusing ring, focus at a measured 75 yds. and the ring reads 120 yds. at 100 yds. it reads 250 yds. the second thing is the reticule is not in line with the turrets.

Ok, call Millett on July 21st and I am told they are out of stock and to call back in a month! Call back Aug 22nd yes they have them in stock but its Fri and customer service is closed call back on Mon!  On Mon. I call back and am told that yes, my name is on the list but, no I won't be getting any of the scopes because I haven't sent my scope back to them: but, if I send it to them over night they might be able to ship one right out, and (yes you guessed it) call back. So I ship the scope ($40.00) and call back, the excuse this time is the Olympics yea thats right the Olympics, seems that China shut down thier factories for two weeks before the games to reduce smog. Whacko

I bought this scope for the apparent value and the customer service reputation of Millett.
Not much value in a scope I don't have and will probably have to replace for hunting season this year and customer service is non existant so much for value.

Sorry about the rant for my first post here but just couldn't help it.

bshaw

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 08:59
Originally posted by bshaw bshaw wrote:

Sorry about the rant for my first post here but just couldn't help it.

bshaw

No need to apologize, this is valuable information that needs to be shared so that others can make a more informed decision.

Welcome to The O.T.

Chris
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2008 at 12:45
Originally posted by Optimus Prime Optimus Prime wrote:

Forget the range bunny knock-off crap and come back home to Leupold, dude.

Sorry if I create flak here, but I'm not much one for beating around the bush, but screw Leupold.  I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Other than being a variable Leupolds don't do anything more for me than a Super Sniper, and then there's the way they screwed over Premier Reticles, and their 1970's anti military kick, they can screw themselves.  They have repeatadly ignored the end user with everything they've produced.  The mere fact that they chose to go with a .5mil adjustment rather than the .1mil on their mil adjusted knobs is just more evidence that the designers have no clue to as what they are doing. 

Eat more Ramen, save $300-$400 more dollars and get a Nightforce, or get a Super Sniper 10x42 and buy more bullets and ring that rifle out.

Ok I'm done.

Edited to clean up language.

Edited by Mithran - September/10/2008 at 21:57
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2008 at 17:19
The forums "potty mouth" filter just hit DEFCON 1 after Mithran's
post!!  Shocked

(I'm blushing just thinking about the stuff you edited and I didn't see, my friend.)    Bandito
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2008 at 17:21
bshaw, as already stated, thanks for the information and welcome to Optics Talk.

As you may have gathered, we run a hot range here so say whats on your mind.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic