OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 wby vs 257 wby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 22:08
You can still own a 375 without going to Africa. The .375 is great for moose, ideal for big and dangerous bears and are ideal for the big bison which btw, do grow larger than the African caped buffalo...........For those who cannot afford Africa, but who can afford to hunt the largest of N/A big game, the .375 Ruger or an H&H in the same price range as the African or Alaskan, are a welcome and lesser expensive alternative.........If I were going to Africa, which I will do, I`d rather romp around with my 8 lb. 11 oz w/scope shorter Alaskan, than with a longer 10 lb. + scope Caprivi or Ruger Magnum @ more than twice the price. That extra 2 lbs. or so, makes a big difference in 110 + degree heat or in any other condition.

Looks are great, but I do know a few who spent some very serious bucks on their rifles only to regret it later after a hunt or two!

On a hunt, you fire the rifle at least once, twice, maybe three times depending on what your hunting. BUT! A few forget that they gotta carry it around for many hours over several days if needed.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 22:12
10lbs in the kimber better check that again

8400 Caprivi™ / .375 H&H Mag. View Slideshow View%20Slideshow -->

8400%20Caprivi™
Caprivi Shown
Model: 8400 Caprivi™ / .375 H&H Mag.
Similar models
available include:
Calibers: .375 H&H Mag.
Features:
  • Model 8400 rifles feature both pillar and glass bedding.
  • Front barrel band swivel stud.
  • Inletted Howell-style rear swivel stud.
  • Three leaf express sight.
  • Double cross bolts.
Specifications: Approximate Weight: 8lbs. 10oz.
Overall Length (inches): 44.50
Stock: Material: AA French walnut
Coverage: Panel
Checkering: 24 lines per inch
Ebony forend tip
Cheekpiece
Finish: Hand-rubbed oil
Double Cross-bolts
Sling swivel studs
Recoil pad (black) thickness (inches): 1.0
Pacmayr Decelerator
Steel grip cap
Length of pull: 13.75
Drop at heel: 0.49 inches
Drop at comb: 0.59 inches
Barrel: Material: Steel
Contour: Magnum
Length: 24.00 inches
Custom sporter contour
Finish: Matte blue
Twist rate (right hand): 12
Grooves: 6
Match grade chamber
Express sights
Action: Full length Mauser claw extractor
Material: Steel
Finish: Matte blue
Front locking repeater
Mauser claw extractor
Magazine capacity: 4
Pillar bedding
Glass bedding
3-position Model 70-type safety
Trigger: Adjustable Trigger
Factory setting (pull) pounds: 3.5-4.0
Suggested
Retail Price:
$3196.00 8400 Caprivi™ .458 Lott
$3196.00 8400 Caprivi™ .375 H&H Mag.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 22:42
Ok!.. About 9 1/2 lbs. w/scope. Still too heavy!............GO GET ONE!...........Speedy...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 22:44
nah
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 08:41
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

................ That extra 2 lbs. or so, makes a big difference in 110 + degree heat or in any other condition.

Looks are great, but I do know a few who spent some very serious bucks on their rifles only to regret it later after a hunt or two!

On a hunt, you fire the rifle at least once, twice, maybe three times depending on what your hunting. BUT! A few forget that they gotta carry it around for many hours over several days if needed.   

+1  My 5 lb. (scoped) Rifle's Inc. 6.5x284 16" has served me well for many years on three different continents and what it can't do it's big brother, my 6 lb. (scoped) Rifle's Inc. 6.5 STW handles.

I am not a big fan of fancy hunting rifles myself.  I've got some fancy rifles but they don't go hunting.  I see my hunting rifles as just another piece of gear, like my backpack, boots or binoculars.  I could never justify buying the Kimber over the Ruger.  Not knocking the Kimber crowd but I also think that a lot of the higher end rifle buyers are not that educated in what's available and they are more interested in making an impression with their weapon.  They think that they will have instant credibility if they show up in camp with a fancy rifle and new shiny boots when actually it makes the exact opposite impression on seasoned hunters and professional guides.  Those two things are the first thing I look at if I am hunting with people I have never met.  You can tell a lot by the condition and type of a man's rifle and boots.

I think the guys that are buying and actually hunting with the heavy fancy wood stocked guns are probably hunting out of a fixed blind, hunting safari style out of a vehicle or have a gun bearer.  My PH's brother in Africa offered to carry my rifle and I said, "no thank you".  He did have to handle it a few times while we were crossing some dangerous terrain and once he got his hands on it he said, "It would be a pleasure to carry your rifle, I've never seen such a light rifle".  I said, "Thanks, now give it back."  Big%20Smile 

Whatever you finally decide on if you ever do, don't expect a working rifle to be an investment and don't expect an investment type rifle to be a working rifle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 09:09
  VERY GOOD advice,Chris!!  OK Pyro, the BOSS has spoken,now what ya gonna do?

til later
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 10:06
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

................ That extra 2 lbs. or so, makes a big difference in 110 + degree heat or in any other condition.

+1  My 5 lb. (scoped) Rifle's Inc. 6.5x284 16" has served me well for many years on three different continents and what it can't do it's big brother, my 6 lb. (scoped) Rifle's Inc. 6.5 STW handles.

I am not a big fan of fancy hunting rifles myself.  I've got some fancy rifles but they don't go hunting.  I see my hunting rifles as just another piece of gear, like my backpack, boots or binoculars.  I could never justify buying the Kimber over the Ruger.  Not knocking the Kimber crowd but I also think that a lot of the higher end rifle buyers are not that educated in what's available and they are more interested in making an impression with their weapon.  They think that they will have instant credibility if they show up in camp with a fancy rifle and new shiny boots when actually it makes the exact opposite impression on seasoned hunters and professional guides.  Those two things are the first thing I look at if I am hunting with people I have never met.  You can tell a lot by the condition and type of a man's rifle and boots.

I think the guys that are buying and actually hunting with the heavy fancy wood stocked guns are probably hunting out of a fixed blind, hunting safari style out of a vehicle or have a gun bearer.  My PH's brother in Africa offered to carry my rifle and I said, "no thank you".  He did have to handle it a few times while we were crossing some dangerous terrain and once he got his hands on it he said, "It would be a pleasure to carry your rifle, I've never seen such a light rifle".  I said, "Thanks, now give it back."  Big%20Smile 

Whatever you finally decide on if you ever do, don't expect a working rifle to be an investment and don't expect an investment type rifle to be a working rifle.

+1 I don't own a rifle that has not been dropped kicked used as a weed wacker or ran over with my truck.I look at a rifle as a tool also.I do try to take care of it but I don't by it for show.So if it gets scratched then so be it.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 19:55

now wait a min here fellars, im not implying that i want anything to do with a $3000 kimber caprivi rifle, i was just saying i saw one picked up pissed myself after looking at the price tag and them promptly returned it to the rack it was sitting on and slowly backed away, and then proceeded to go look at some savages to help get my focus back.

if i could afford something like that i wouldnt worry about scratching it, i dont look at guns as pieces of art, i do appriciate good looking stocks, but i dont care if they get dropped or dinged, to me guns are tools of pleasure. if i hunted in wyoming again like i did growing up i wouldnt want to carry a 10# rifle either, but i wouldnt have any quams about a 7-8# rifle sometimes that extra weight helps steady the shot, face it a heavier bullet wont sway as easily as the thin ones, but there also has to be a breaking point where you say enough is enough. i will agree that probably a good percentage of kimber buyers have no clue, but im sure there are plenty of educated folks who buy kimber rifles because they know what they are getting also.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 22:00

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 22:08
hmm .338fed or .450 marlin??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 22:23
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Big%20Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 22:30
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Big%20Grin
im serious
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 23:25
      Hows about a Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather in 338 Fed or 358 Win.  Comes with a 22"bbl, so just have it cut down to 20" or less and try it.  If ya don't like it ya can sell it to Squeezer!

til later
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 23:51
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 00:32

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 05:47
kimber 84m select grade
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 07:11
 Oh,ok.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 08:33
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 10:03
" How about a nice CZ 550 in lots of different models and calibers!! I can make you a good deal if you will Buy TODAY!!! "

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 18:11
cz makes a nice rifle too.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
  Share Topic