OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles Multizero - multi-rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowJumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles Multizero - multi-rifle?
    Posted: August/11/2008 at 10:04
First Post - hello to all.  

I am thinking of replacing an aging scope for my main hunting rifles this season which are a Savage ML and a Savage 270 WSM.  I already use the Warne quick release rings on my rifles now and have the click changes memorized so that I can use my old scope on both rifles.  While the system works, the rifles are perfectly zeroed, I do have a bit of doubt in the process.

Since I am upgrading my scope, I was thinking of buying two scopes to avoid the click changes when moving the scope between rifles.

However, after seeing the Kahles multizero claims it seems that one scope would work if the multizero can be set for windage adjustments as well as the well-documented standard elevation adjustments.

From reading the manual online, only elevation subsequent adjustments are addressed.  Can the windage be set as part of multizero?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jtom66 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtom66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 10:31

The multizero will not allow you to present a different windage adjustment for each multizero setting.  The MZ settings address elevation only.

brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 10:40
+! on jtom56's comment
TowJumper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowJumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 12:55
Thats what I thought.  Thanks so much for the replies.
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 20:47
Hello,

I have 2 of these scopes and yes you can change the windage. I have found that I usually only need to fine tune the elevation only.

Good luck and welcome to the OT.
abailey54
jtom66 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtom66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 20:52
Yes you can change the windage, but you cannot set a different windage for each of the different multizero points, right?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 22:14
jtom, only the top turret has the multizero range disks. I frequently "hot swap" scopes on different rifles and there is very little windage adjustment required from rifle to rifle. The potential is there, if you have some mount anomaly on one of the rifles, but should not be a problem. I do not have this scope, but have "toyed" with one and have one with similar multizero adjustments.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pell1203 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pell1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 21:35
You can just jot down the windage adjustments and set them manually.

Be aware the Multi-Zero adjustments works from the bottom up. That is, you set your starting (or first) zero and then all the subsequent zeros must effectively be for longer distances. Assuming you use the same round, the only direction left to adjust is to compensate for greater drop. This occurs because you effectively set an artificial stop on the down direction after adjusting for your initial zero. Additionally, you will then be limited to only one additional turret revolution of adjustment in the Up direction before you bump against the back end of the stop you set before. This may be a limitation depending on what you are trying to do.

In my case, using a .308, I zeroed the scope at 100 yards but was unable to then adjust out to 600 yards because I could not get enough MOA adjustment out of one turret revolution, even though the scope still had up adjustment left on the upside of the artificial stop. My compromise was to set my initial zero at 200 yards. This allowed me to then set the other multi-zero settings at 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards within the single turret revolution adjustment range. The adjusments required for going from 200-600 yards fell within the single revolution whereas to go from 100-600 yards required more than one turret revolutions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic