OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3-9x36A Habicht Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-9x36A Habicht Swarovski
    Posted: August/11/2008 at 09:52
This is a older scope that I have had for awhile.  I'm just wondering where it would be placed with todays scopes and if I should upgrade and if so what scopes that are made today are comparable?

Thanks all
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 11:34
IMO, no need to upgrade. It's a good one with good glass.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 11:45
 What is it NOT doing for you ?  They are darn good scopes .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Buckma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 12:08
More or less was wanting to know where that scope ranks with the others?  Like in the scope Ranking Chart.

Since the scope is a little old I was just thinking that maybe the newer Swar's are better now OR scopes like the bushnell 6500 is better ext ext.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 15:58
Welcome to OT, Buckma!  The scope you have is still one of "today's" Swarovski scopes.  That is the 3-9X36 AV, which is still in their lineup, and the model you can buy today is the same as what you have.  I have one, and it is a terrific scope. 

The "Habicht" designation is used on all Swarovski scopes except the Z6 series.  It is the German word for "hawk" and is also the name of a mountain in the Austrian Alps.

Even if this scope was a discontinued model, why would you want to exchange it for something else?  Are you dissatisfied with it?  IMO, I think it is one of the best if not THE best 1" tube 3-9X scope in existence today!  The only area where the Elite 6500 you mention has it beat is in zoom range and the "Rain Guard" coating.  Otherwise I think the Swaro 3-9X36 is a superior scope optically (assuming the 6500 has similar optics to the 4200 series), and it's lighter and more compact as well.  It is ranked toward the top of the SWFA scope ranking chart (Swarovski "American" series); either at level 7 or 8, I can't remember.

Edited by RifleDude - August/11/2008 at 16:05
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Buckma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 18:53
Thanks everything for the comments!!!

RifleDude:  No I love this scope, but I am thinking its like 10+ years old maybe?  Yes I have seen the "AV" line, but this scope seems to be just the "A" line.  I'm guessing the "A" is an older model or something?  maybe replaced with the AV line?

I was just wondering if it was still on par with the newer model Swarovski's and if so would it be equal to one of the AV/PV/PF lines they make now.

Buckma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 10:11
Any idea if the "AV" line is the same as the older "A" line?
Buckma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 21:52
Hi all,

I am now wondering if I sold this scope what would be a good price for it?  I was thinking of selling it so I could use the money and purchase 2 scopes like maybe a couple of Zeiss conquest? 

How would you compare the 3-9X40mm Conquests to this scope?

Thanks again all.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 08:45
 This scope is very simular to the existing AV-line 3-9x36, the optics will be better than the Zeiss 3-9 conquest.  I believe it is probably worth $400-600 depending on condition.  If  it were my scope, I'd keep it and just add a Conquest  if I needed a second scope.

Edited by lucytuma - October/17/2008 at 10:05
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 09:44
Buckma - Don't listen to these fools!  It is time to sell that old thing and buy something new.  This will also help out the economy.  I would be more than happy to take that old thing off your hands and I will even give you $250.00 for it!!!  Wink
take em!
Buckma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2008 at 22:10
Thanks guys, I called Swarovski and they told me my scope was made in 1998 so its 10 years old.  They also told me there has been great improvements in the last 10 years with lenses and coatings.  I'm guessing he just wanted me to buy a new one hehe.

Just wondering if any of you have looked at a NEW Zeiss Conquest and this 10 year old Swarovski model next to each other?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 09:50
Originally posted by Buckma Buckma wrote:

Thanks guys, I called Swarovski and they told me my scope was made in 1998 so its 10 years old.  They also told me there has been great improvements in the last 10 years with lenses and coatings.  I'm guessing he just wanted me to buy a new one hehe.

Just wondering if any of you have looked at a NEW Zeiss Conquest and this 10 year old Swarovski model next to each other?

I think the rep was being honest, they have made some improvements to the coatings and added "easy to clean" to many of their products.

Even so the scope you have is excellent, personally I'd keep it especially if your the original owner, but it sounds like you want to dump it anyways. 

Good luck.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
DD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 23:38
I agree, it's time to sell that old scope and move up to a european Swar series, but I'll be glad to help you out a buy it from you. Just kidding, I've had mine for over 10 years on my Sako .270, it is an excellent scope and I don't see how you couls do better without spending over a grand, even then, the gains would be minimial.
DD
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 05:35

I have to agree with many of the posters.  While there have been new improvements in glass and optics since 1998, for what you will get for the scope (400-600$), you probably won't find anything that is better without spending more money.

I'd keep it.  But that's my opinion...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic