OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best .30-30 Scope <$100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best .30-30 Scope <$100
    Posted: August/09/2008 at 09:35
My .30-30, which is used as a back up for deer hunting needs a new scope.  Any recommendations for a decent scope for under $100?  Would prefer a 2-7 32mm or 3-9 32mm.  Just bought a new muzzeloader so I don't have the funds to buy a more expensive scope for the .30-30 right now.

Thanks,
Mike
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 09:47
Give the Busnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 a look. Pretty decent scope for the money.  Less than your 7X requirement but a decent range for a 30-30 and keeps your obj at 32mm.  Most of the 7 or 9X tend to be 40mm or bigger.
God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 09:55
         I've had a 2-7x32mm Simmons Prohunter Master Series scope for a year or so. Shot with it on my lt wt .300 a few times just to see what would happen and it's now on a Mod70 .25-06. Seems to be doing just fine. Clear optics,GREAT eye relief,lt wt,and some kind of rain guard on the lenses that works. $89.95 at SWFA!  I have heard to many varying opinions on the warrenty to make my own so I guess I'll see what happens when/if I need it.

til later
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 10:17
I have the same bushnell trophy mentioned above mounted on a marlin .444 for about 8yrs now and its held up.  Not the best optics available but, should be good enough for the ranges intended for the 30/30.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 11:08
Originally posted by MikeStaten MikeStaten wrote:

My .30-30, which is used as a back up for deer hunting needs a new scope.  Any recommendations for a decent scope for under $100?  Would prefer a 2-7 32mm or 3-9 32mm.  Just bought a new muzzeloader so I don't have the funds to buy a more expensive scope for the .30-30 right now.

Thanks,
Mike
.................Your 30-30, is a quick, short to moderate range timber gun, about 150-175 yards or less for deer, though the Hornady lever revolution ammo may extend that out to about 250 yards.

For deer sized game only, with no smaller varmits being hunted, and without any need for viewing holes on the paper @ 100 yards, any 3x9 is,,,," tooooo",,, much scope for a 30-30!
Although many have 3x9`s on their 30-30`s, I also consider the 2x7`s to be over scoping that rifle as well.

Your $100 budget certainly does restrict your choices. But in the meantime, I`d look at the Vortex Crossfire 1.5-4x32 for $95 and the Swift Reliant 1.5-4.5 x21.
For that rifle, the straight tubed scopes, like the Swift, without an objective bell, look the best (lighter and lower profiled). They are also quicker in target acquiring and have better FOV`s which makes them faster than any 3x9 and the 2x7`s too.

Tack on another $50 if possible and you can get a scope, with NO need to ever upgrade later, which I consider to be absolutely ideal for a 30-30, that I also happen to have personal experience with via a friend`s lever;,,,the 1-3x20 Weaver V3.........It is very light @ 8.5 oz., has 94% light trans with excellent and very clear Jap glass (better optically than any choices above).

On the 1x, with a wonderful 87' FOV @ 100 yards, it is EXTREMELY fast to the target with both eyes open aiming and IS, just as quick as the iron sites are by themselves in acquiring the target! YEP! You read me right!! That`s right!..........For the deer sized game out to 200-250 yards, the 3x max. setting is very sufficient and for any shorter or closer cover work, there is no better, faster, or better scope optically for the bucks, than this little sweetheart gem of a scope!!.......I`d beg or borrow, in order to get the extra $50 for this one if I were you!..........WinkWinkWinkWinkWink
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 18:10
there is also the Weaver  V-series 2.5-7x32mm if more power is what you're looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic