OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Warden's "wood splittin machine".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 17:49
Man, I don't think I have met a grading contractor that I couldn't get along with in the past 21 years, my friend.
Good people.

The grading guys "generally" put the slab within 1/10th Wink plus or minus 1, and then the plumbers and electrical guys come in behind and dig up and put NOTHING back to grade and screw EVERYTHING up for ME!   Cencored

Thats cool though....the boys "accidentally" break a few PVC pipes on most slabs....that number is usually contingent on HOW bad the plumber leaves the grade for me.....Devil  

Edited by cheaptrick - August/09/2008 at 18:04
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 17:58
we dont do much plumbing, other than a stub in for our sewer line and a stub in for a water line, but yeah i can see how sparky's and the tiners can really mess you up.
we do dead on with our spectra laser and also do three pass packing with our plate compactor so she is ready for mud when we leave.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 18:06
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

we do dead on with our spectra laser and also do three pass packing with our plate compactor so she is ready for mud when we leave.

So ya'll stone the pad or you compact the dirt and let the concrete guy stone it?  
They use #57 stone up there or crusher run?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 18:24
dont use stone in our neck of the woods, what does that do?? we just use sand, occasionally they use class-5 gravel (road top gravel)
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 19:04

dont use stone in our neck of the woods, what does that do?? we just use sand, occasionally they use class-5 gravel (road top gravel)

Drainage and compaction. Primarily compaction.

Most, if not all commercial jobs HERE require 4" of stone underneath the concrete slab.
Sand is used a lot in South Carolina as a sub base. Florida too.  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 19:09
with the soil around here being so sandy we dont worry about it, plus when we build a site we make sure it has drainage away, if the soil is a little heavier we will place drain tile around it and may use pea rock which i assume is the #57 you refer to for backfilling against a basement wall for instance.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 19:14
"Pea rock" or pea gravel? Rounded stone?

No, this is a pic of #57 stone. More jagged.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 19:22
pea rock here doenst have to be rounded, just as long as its smaller than 3/4" diam and in most cases its smaller than 1/2" diam.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 20:11

Dam I wish you guys lived closer I could sure use some concrete and dozer work at the farm.  I cant figure out how to keep the creek from washing out the fence when it rains and the creek comes up  - -  got any ideas? 

I used to have a concrete house on the Texas coast - the whole thing was poured concrete from forms  --  kind of small (910sf)  3 bd 1ba.   Interior walls and  flat roof were concrete too. (now that's a house kids cant destroy.)

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2008 at 20:12
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Dam I wish you guys lived closer I could sure use some concrete and dozer work at the farm.  I cant figure out how to keep the creek from washing out the fence when it rains and the creek comes up  - -  got any ideas? 

I used to have a concrete house on the Texas coast - the whole thing was poured concrete from forms  --  kind of small (910sf)  3 bd 1ba.   Interior walls and  flat roof were concrete too. (now that's a house kids cant destroy.)
got any pictures of the farm wes??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 07:28
[/QUOTE] 
I'll end up giving a cord or 2 away, so my earlier numbers are skewed. 
Mom and Dad will get some and folks from work around Christmas time want to stoke up the fire place.
[/QUOTE]

Thats a good idea mark. I'll try giving firewood for christmas gifts this year lol....
If your down this way bring your rifle or 4 and your mud boots. I have a small slab I need pourd.well I don't but my wife dose...

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 18:19
Hmmm, firewood as a Christmas gift? That sounds like a great idea, except it may be the same as coal or sticks for those who don't meet Santa's standards. Oh well, they didn't meet the standards anyway.
Maple or oak? Merry Christmas!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 19:17
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Drainage and compaction. Primarily compaction.

Most, if not all commercial jobs HERE require 4" of stone underneath the concrete slab.
Sand is used a lot in South Carolina as a sub base. Florida too.  
No gravel is why most slab homes in Oklahoma have Structural problems after 4-5 years. No drainage in the clay soils then the motion of wet and drying tear the house apart. 

Edited by 3_tens - August/11/2008 at 19:18
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 22:14
if you backfill with rock or sand and place drain tiles around the foundation you should be fine
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 18:30
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Dang Cheap, I think you need to put the pants back on.  Because it sure sounds like you don't wear them.  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

How dare you insinuate such a thing, Sir!!!
SLANDEROUS!! Shocked

I'll have you and this fine forum know that I wear the pants in my family!!! Cussing

(She just tells me what pair to put on.) Embarrased
How did I miss this fun?????        Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 22:06
Mine says to wear the clean ones then I know I need to do the landury.     Indian
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 15:03
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Mine says to wear the clean ones then I know I need to do the landury.     Indian

LOL
At least she don't make me do my own laundry, God bless her.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 16:20
Mark,
there are only two Types of married Men in the world!!!!   Those that are HENPECKED and those that Lie about not being henpeck.   This old crazy fox knows at least we are IN the hen house to be henpecked.Big%20Smile

Mike

Edited by Steelbenz - August/14/2008 at 16:22
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 16:24
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Mark,
there are only two Types of married Men in the world!!!!   Those that are HENPECKED and those that Lie about not being henpeck.   This old crazy fox knows at least we are IN the hen house to be henpecked.Big%20Smile

Mike

Well stated, Sir! Excellent
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2008 at 16:27
Sure makes me feel a lot better..............

- now I gotta log off before the wife catches me
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic