OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steiner upgrade program & question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtom66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steiner upgrade program & question
    Posted: August/07/2008 at 15:43
I had an old pair of Steiner binoculars I purchased in the early 80's that recently began to fog during humid and rainy days when hunting.  I sent them in to Steiner for a service estimate and they said they were not worth repairing.  In an effort to try and keep a "valued Steiner" customer happy, they offered to let me purchase one bino at a special upgrade price. 

I know we are not allowed to quote competitive prices on this site, but this is different, just a special deal from Steiner to yours truly. 

I only have the budget to purchase one pair of binoculars that need to work for hunting turkey, bow & rifle hunting whitetail deer.  Also viewing deer and wildlife at ranges up to 600 yards.  Weight is also a consideration.

Here are some of my options under the special upgrade pricing:

10x42 Peregrine = $695
10x42 Predator C5 = $536
10x42 Merlin = $372
8x42 Merlin = $356

Since I will be using these to bow hunt, would the wider angle 8x be a good choice?  Should I stretch my budget to go with the Peregrine (supppsedly an extra good deal at this price)

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Jim
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 15:49
If you are seriously considering the Pergrine then I would add $55 take a look at these instead.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-12331-2125-vortex-8x42-razor-binocular.aspx  They are a lot better bino than the Peregrine.  I was very disappointed in the Steiner when I compared them to several other big name brands, they were extremely dark compared to the Meopta, Swaro, Leica, Bushnell Elite, Leupold Golden Ring, Zeiss, Vortex.  I just didn't think they even compared. 
They are giving you a heck of a deal price wise, but those Vortex bino's are amazing for the money.   

And that way you will have two pair of bino's for nearly the same cost. 

Edited by supertool73 - August/07/2008 at 15:51
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jtom66 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtom66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 20:41
Thanks, I am not familiar with the brand name but will take a look.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic