OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new scope
    Posted: August/07/2008 at 13:56

New to Optic talk.  I am in the market of buy a new Scope I have narrowed it down to the New Nikon Monarchs.     The only problem I am having is which Reticle.                              The scope size is the 4-16x42   the reticle are the new BDC or Nikoplex  or the Mil dot.        I have looked at the Mil-Dot but all it seems to do is confuss me.  Every one says that I am making harding than it is.  All I will be using it for is Deer hunting.  Most shots will be under 300 yards I'm sure.  I was just wondering who has the BDC reticle and are you happy with it. I will be making the purshase Friday.  So please Help before I make the wrong chioce. The scope will be going on a Win 30-06 model 70    Shotting a 165 grain bullet.      I do care a range finder on most of my hunts.           Thank you the Beanur

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 14:28
Originally posted by beanur beanur wrote:

New to Optic talk.  I am in the market of buy a new Scope I have narrowed it down to the New Nikon Monarchs.     The only problem I am having is which Reticle.                              The scope size is the 4-16x42   the reticle are the new BDC or Nikoplex  or the Mil dot.        I have looked at the Mil-Dot but all it seems to do is confuss me.  Every one says that I am making harding than it is.  All I will be using it for is Deer hunting.  Most shots will be under 300 yards I'm sure.  I was just wondering who has the BDC reticle and are you happy with it. I will be making the purshase Friday.  So please Help before I make the wrong chioce. The scope will be going on a Win 30-06 model 70    Shotting a 165 grain bullet.      I do care a range finder on most of my hunts.           Thank you the Beanur

......................I too, find that the BDC and the mildot reticles confusing, have never used them and have stayed with the plexes...... Along with my ARC rangefinder, knowing my MV, BC and bullet drop, I zero my 300 WSM in @ 300 yards for every hunt, which eliminates alot of the guesswork for shots out to 350-400 yards.

With your `06 zeroed in at 300 yards, you can properly place the bullet where it needs to go, into the 6" to 10" diameter vitals out to about 350 yards with very little or no guess work in holdover or hold under...........You`ll only need to worry about any crosswinds, which the BDC or the mildot reticles can`t help you with anyway............To me, that is less confusing. I`d rather rely upon myself, rather than a scopes reticles. 

beanur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 14:39
What did you say I  got lost in your picture next to your comment...  Just Kidding thanks   I also some times think old school is still good to many bells and dials just confuss me. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 14:44
The hold overs can definitely be beneficial if you want to zero at 100 yards.  But using the maximum point blank range like Squeezer is suggesting it will work for 99% of the shots a hunter will ever take.  What you need to do is figure out the size of the vitals of the animal you are hunting an then look at the ballistics of your rifle/bullet combo and figure out at exactly what distance you need to sight in.  If your kill zone is only 8 inches then a 300 yard zero might be to much because if you shoot a shot under 100 yards your impact may be to high on the animal.  So you may need to zero at 250 instead.  All that kind of stuff needs to be determined before you zero your gun.  Then you can configure it to your exact shooting needs and the size of your game.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 14:45
Originally posted by beanur beanur wrote:

What did you say I  got lost in your picture next to your comment...  Just Kidding thanks   I also some times think old school is still good to many bells and dials just confuss me. 
........................I am not one, that necessarily stays with the `ol school. Depends on what a new school offers........As far as scope reticles are concerned, I prefer the `ol school!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 14:52
I have not caught on with the new holdover reticles either..... they just seem too "busy" to me.  From what I hear, once you start using them, they become less busy and they work great.  The key seems to be to practice a lot with it and get comfortable.
take em!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 15:13
+1 for Big Squeeze. It doesn't sound like you need the Mil dot, and BDC reticles really are not that accurate unless setup for a specific cal., weight, and velocity.
I think your best bet is the Nikoplex reticle and a 300yd zero.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 15:26
I don't know how your 06' shoots, but trajectory tables I created for an 06' shooting 165 gr Speer HPBTs I had show the bullet will be in the neighborhood of about 5" high at 150 yds when zeroed at 300 yds. When you add the dispersion caused by field conditions, that seems a bit high to me.

Tom

beanur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 15:39
Im sure there not much differance in the hornady 165 grain 30-06   Which is what I will be using this year.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 16:47
Welcome to The OT.

I did sort of a review on the scope in question. Hope you find it helpful.

I wouldn't discount the 2.5-10x Monarch with a Nikoplex and without the side focus either. It's a lot of scope and "may" be better for big game than the BDC reticle.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
beanur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 18:12
Thanks for the response  I'll  continue to think about it      Time to mow the grass...Got to keep wife happy ..............Honey dew's  Be  back in a hour or so
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 19:11
i have a monarch ucc with the nikoplex and i also have a new team primos with the bdc, and to tell you the truth i like them both, they each have there place in my book,i put my bdc on my coyote rifle in case i get a longer shot i wont have to guess for aim height since i have the bdc, i will still have to guess the range though. as far as using it for deer hunting you wont notice it after you take it to the range a few times, the only time you will notice  it is when you need to use it. i dont mind the nikoplex for 100-200 yds after that i prefer the bdc or other like reticles. nikons are fine scopes between me and cheaptrick we probably own half of nikons market share.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
beanur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 19:56
I think i will go with the BDC reticle now i just have to make my mind up on 4-16x42  or the 2-12x42         leaning more to the 4-16  not much difference in price  just might be to much or is there such a thing...
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 20:33
I would get the 12x.  16x with a 42mm objective is going to give you a pretty small exit pupil which means the picture will darken a lot at that higher power.  You will probably not use it that much at those higher powers because of that.  And the 2x bottom end will be really nice to have as well.  A typical hunter is never going to need more than 8 or 9x on the top end.  Unless you are one of those long range hunters who shoot big bores at 1000 yards+, then you might. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 20:59
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I would get the 12x.  16x with a 42mm objective is going to give you a pretty small exit pupil which means the picture will darken a lot at that higher power.  You will probably not use it that much at those higher powers because of that.  And the 2x bottom end will be really nice to have as well.  A typical hunter is never going to need more than 8 or 9x on the top end.  Unless you are one of those long range hunters who shoot big bores at 1000 yards+, then you might. 
i agree i dont see a need for 16x, im the type who doesnt see a need for more than 10x for most applications.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
beanur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 22:05
Hows 3-12x 42mm BDC sound        
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 22:09
Thunbs%20Up

beanur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 22:23
I  guess Ill be posting a order in the morning thanks for all your help I hope I was not a pain in the ass.....With today gas I wanted to make sure I bought the right scope now Ill have enough gas to get woods and stay awhile   Thanks for all your help    3-12x42 BDC it is
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 00:27
A good rule of thumb is the larger the game the smaller the power. High mag on Pds and  ground rats Animals%20%2029%20Emoticon  and 1 or 2 power  on Elephants. 
                                                                           Elephant%20emoticon%20%20
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 14:26
I think Big Squeeze pretty well nailed it.  Sight in 3" high @100 and forget about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic