OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Firearm Lic - Need a shoulder to cry on!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firearm Lic - Need a shoulder to cry on!!
    Posted: August/06/2008 at 04:32
So, some months have come and gone and still my Rem 700 VSF is rotting away at the gundealer.
Where is it all at? As those that have followed the terrible saga will know that my competency card was issued on the 18 March 2008, exactly one year after applying. I the submitted my renewal of excisting firearm lic some time during Oct 2007. Much to my surprise all of these renewals were approved on 22 June 2008. Only one lic card has actually been printed though. The other cards are still in the printing queue. %$^#ing long queue or slow printer!! 6 week printing queue????

Now for the real crap, my new firearm. This application is now 5 months in the process. I tried applying for a temp permit, which was promptly turned down due to "insufficient reason". Never mind that I did a two page motivation and 10 pages supporting docs application.
I have subsequently spoken to the head of our Firearms Control (as in of the country), who assured me of a 5 month turnabout time. This 5 months is up on 12 Aug 2008.
This morning I sent him a fax to tell him his time is up next Tuesday. His own dept tells me nothing will happen untill end Aug.
So I have requested this BIG Chief to overturn my application for a temp permit.
So, please, I need a big shoulder to cry on.......................
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 06:40
Wouter, that really sucks, friend!  I, along with all your friends here at OT extend a big, virtual shoulder for you to cry on!  What you describe is a classic government run bureaucracy.  And to think there are many here who want government to run our healthcare system and sieze control of large corporations if they make "excessive windfall profits."  I fear that is what we may be headed toward here in the US if we're not vigilant in electing politicians who are dedicated to liberty and protecting our Constitution.

I feel for ya, brother!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 06:50
wow--- That simply stinks ...best of luck
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 06:51
8shots, your system is proof of why we cannot afford to let the liberals gain control.  What you are going through sounds just like what I have heard described as "common sense controls" on guns.  Sad.  I am sorry you have to endure such a system.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 07:01
You have your choice of shoulders here my friend.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 07:21
Ditto all of the above Wouter.  Thank God we haven't got that bad yet but the liberals keep trying.
God save the Empire!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 08:16
Wouter,
You have my shoulder. I would tell you to move to the states but I have a feeling we are going to be paddling the same boat before to much longer.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 10:18
8 I hate to see you blown off by the "out of sight out of mind" jerks.

At the risk of asking repeat questions,

*Where is your dealer located?
*If they are in reasonable driving distance, do you have strong and frequent dealings with the owner(s)?
*Are they under any ristrictions as to how long they can or will hold something, when this sort of thing happens? I would imagine that this happens too often.
*Are you limited to X number of applictions in a given time frame?
*Are you limited to X number of guns purchases per year?
*Is the same process applied to parts? Barrels, receivers, actions, triggers and such.
Finally can you show us a instruction guide for gun purchase as might be distributed by your gov?

We all know there is more than one way to skin a repressive setup. I have some thoughts depending on your specific situation. Cool

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 16:55
God bless you, 8!
I'm so sorry for you.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 19:36
Sorry to hear the news.  Hope you luck changes soon.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 20:29
Man 8,  That's the pits Bro.   That make me want to kick somethin' just thinking about it.  Come to think of it (kicking somethin')  we got a couple of folks running for mayor I need to go see.

Edited by Steelbenz - August/06/2008 at 20:30
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 21:07
Geezs 8 I'm sorry for you. It sucks being at the mercy of some one that doesn't care.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 22:20
aw man i'm sorry to hear about that. that's a load of crap that they are giving you :(
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 14:34
8 - hope something good happens soon!  Hang in There.
take em!
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 13:34
Heh Wouter a couple of my friends have been waiting almost 2 years just to get their compentcy cards. I considered buying a new rifle now, but dont fancy all this B.S. So I opted to try my hand at bow hunting, walked into the shop bought a bow and walked out with it. No B.S no fuss. I think you have a long wait ahead of you, and 'ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

Regards Chris
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:39
Hey Chris,
 Help me out here, Are there not critters in your woods that routinely eat 100 kilo meals?
Somehow I think going into them with a bow doth tell me a need a shrink.  LOL

No offense, Just make sure you have back up Bro.   Sharp%20Shooteror Angel  one of the two!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:57
Well it's Aug. 12, any word on your license 8?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 02:46
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Well it's Aug. 12, any word on your license 8?

No word to date. I have received a faxed response to my fax that says "you may expect a response from this office in due course" dated 7 Aug. Needless to say no response and I cannot get Bothma on the phone.
One of the other offices indicated no way untill end of Aug, regardless of what Bothma indicated, as they only sit then to consider applications.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 03:02
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

8 I hate to see you blown off by the "out of sight out of mind" jerks.

At the risk of asking repeat questions,

*Where is your dealer located?
*If they are in reasonable driving distance, do you have strong and frequent dealings with the owner(s)?
*Are they under any ristrictions as to how long they can or will hold something, when this sort of thing happens? I would imagine that this happens too often.
*Are you limited to X number of applictions in a given time frame?
*Are you limited to X number of guns purchases per year?
*Is the same process applied to parts? Barrels, receivers, actions, triggers and such.
Finally can you show us a instruction guide for gun purchase as might be distributed by your gov?

We all know there is more than one way to skin a repressive setup. I have some thoughts depending on your specific situation. Cool

1. The dealer is 45 min drive away.
2. I have a very good realtionship and dealing with them.
3. One has to purchase the rifle (pay the full price to the dealer). They will then store it for you for at least 3 years or so. Normally very little pressure from the dealer side as they have been paid in full.
4. You only apply once for each fire arm. As a dedicated hunter you are permitted 10 firearms, so I suppose you can make 10 applications in one day or over a period. But you cannot apply 10 times in one day or week for the same firearm. All this is done at the police station with vingerprints safe inspections etc. So one cannot flood them with paperwork.
4. This process also effect parts. You may not have a rifle barrel or action in your possesion without the license for it. Triggers, stocks etc can be held without a lic.
5. The only "instruction guide" we have is the Act itself. One of the South African gun owners biggest gripe is just that. The police will not tell us what "adequate motivation" entails. We have had situations whereby the Police have turned down a lic on the grounds of "need not proven" or "inadequate motivation" No further details or reason is given.
The applicants have then taken the police to court. The police officials refuse to attend the court so that they need not explain there actions or reasoning. In all cases the court has overruled the Police and ordered that a lic be issued. But it has left us without an idea of what constitutes a "proper reason and motivation"

Edited by 8shots - August/13/2008 at 03:03
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 07:27
Whacko
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic