OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

S&B vs. USO vs. Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickorette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S&B vs. USO vs. Zeiss
    Posted: August/04/2008 at 20:13
S&B 5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP

vs.

SN3 T-Pal 5-25

vs.

Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 T* Diavari

This is going to be a one time purchase. It will be for benchrest and hunting.
Most critical factors to me:
1) clairity
2) repeatability
3) durability

Discuss. Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 23:31
Thats like asking do you prefer gold or platinum all three scopes are so much better than anything else out there that they dwarf the competition. These would all be good benchrest scopes as for hunting I would perfer something in the 4-16x50 range but that depends on how you hunt. I would probably pick the U.S. Optics but I would expect the S&B to be as good likely better and as far as glass goes the Zeiss probably has the best glass clairity but not as good of mechanical repeatable precision. The S&B and the US.O are gunfight scopes the Zeiss is not so durability goes to the S&B and best durability to the US.Optics.

U.S.M.C uses S&B but has used U.S. Optics in the past.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/04/2008 at 23:34

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 23:55

I would go for Zeiss or S&B.

The only thing that have with USO that have impressed on me so far is the high price, compared to the quality.

Technika
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 07:24
If benchrest is on the menu, I would get a scope with a second focal plane reticle for the finest aim point possible to obstruct the least amount of the target as possible.  The USO is available with SFP reticle, but the other two are first focal plane reticle scopes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 08:44
the uso you mention is a tactical scope with gradiations in elevation meant more for speed than refinement- uso does make some good target scopes though- the zeiss is second focal plane and probably the best for target shooting- but any consideration with target shooting in mind will depend on the reticle. I'm guessing here you talking about shooting on a platform at fixed range distances. -- not competitively.
nickorette View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickorette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 12:12
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

the uso you mention is a tactical scope with gradiations in elevation meant more for speed than refinement- uso does make some good target scopes though- the zeiss is second focal plane and probably the best for target shooting- but any consideration with target shooting in mind will depend on the reticle. I'm guessing here you talking about shooting on a platform at fixed range distances. -- not competitively.

Yeah that's a good point. The focal plane would have to be 2nd, not 1st if I'm going to be doing taregt shooting. SO I guess that leaves the USO and the Zeiss.
BSA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 14:04

this might compare better to USO & S&B

http://www.i-e-a.de/productssimple55.html

brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 14:14
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The USO is available with SFP reticle, but the other two are first focal plane reticle scopes.

I think it's the Zeiss Diavari that is SFP.  USOs are all FFP afaik.

Anyway, BSA have you looked at the IOR tactical series? I will be buying this one just as soon as I can raise the funds:

brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 14:20

* Sorry, last post should have been addressed to Nickorette
BSA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 14:25
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 14:58
All mentioned are great scopes; however, all are not ideal for all situations.

At what ranges will you be hunting?  What will you be hunting? On what weapon is the scope going?  What caliber?

The mistake I see most frequently is that hunters buy something that doesn't fit the need - as in way too much magnification for the intended purpose.  I shoot out to 1,000 yards and have no scope with magnification higher than 17.  Do you need 25X?

With a little more info, we can help make this "once in a lifetime" purchase a better fit with your needs.

Of your most critical factors, Zeiss wins the first, and USO, in my opinion, wins the second and third.  That doesn't mean you should buy USO (need to know gun going on and other factors) but by your considerations, USO is a good bet.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - August/05/2008 at 17:20
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BSA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 15:29

Zeiss would be my first choice for you also....

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickorette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 17:13
Originally posted by BSA BSA wrote:

this might compare better to USO & S&B

http://www.i-e-a.de/productssimple55.html

Isn't Hensoldt the same Zeiss Diavari? I could have sworn I read somewhere the Zeiss is just the western name for Hensoldt
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 17:20
Zeiss is probably NOT my recommendation - pending more info: for clarification.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickorette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 17:29
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

All mentioned are great scopes; however, all are not ideal for all situations.

At what ranges will you be hunting?  What will you be hunting? On what weapon is the scope going?  What caliber?

The mistake I see most frequently is that hunters buy something that doesn't fir the need - as in way too much magnification for the intended purpose.  I shoot out to 1,000 yards and have no scope with magnification higher than 17.  Do you need 25X?

With a little more info, we can help make this "once in a lifetime" purchase a better fit with your needs.

Of your mot critical factors, Zeiss wins the first, and USO, in my opinion, wins the second and third.  That doesn't mean you should buy USO (need to know gun going on and other factors) but by your considerations, USO is a good bet.

Well, my number one use for it would be non-competitive target shooting. I'm looking at a .308. Huntning is only really secondary. I just want to have the fexibility to go and hunt with it if I choose, or go competitive if I decide to later down the road.

If I was just using it for hunting, than hell, even 10X would be more than enough.

My ideal target ranges would be 100-200 yards, but I will have a couple opportunities for some 1000 yard shots. I like the idea of having the extra magnification if I need it.

The plan is for the gun to go on Tac Ops Tango 51.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 17:36
I agree with Rancid, I think you are wanting way to much scope for your intended uses.  15 to 18x is plenty for 1000 yards and beyond.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by brencat brencat wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The USO is available with SFP reticle, but the other two are first focal plane reticle scopes.

I think it's the Zeiss Diavari that is SFP.   

It's my understanding that USO will build the scope to whatever specifications the customer requests.  You and Dale are correct about that particular Zeiss Victory Diavari being SFP.  Most Diavaris are FFP, so I had forgotten about that model being SFP. 

Edited by RifleDude - August/05/2008 at 18:39
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickorette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 20:30
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Zeiss is probably NOT my recommendation - pending more info: for clarification.
So, what's the verdict?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2008 at 20:38
The Zeiss only has 57 MOA up elevation adjustment so it is not the best choice for a long range scope.  You will be iffy at getting to 1000 yards unless you use a 30 MOA base and then you may lose the ability to have a 100 yard zero.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic