OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

45/70

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 45/70
    Posted: August/03/2008 at 22:26
What would be the concensus on max effective range for the 45/70? And as for the 450, where would it place as I have no experience with either. I had not ever been interested in either until I began to read some of your posts. I enjoy carrying the ole 444 now and then and will continue to. But I plan to add a Blr to my collection and am favoring the 45/70. Found a nice one, maybe too nice but pretty don't hurt if the price is right.

I will load ammo for it when I get one so I expect it to do very well for range and accuracy.

Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 22:34
You need to read some of the old pine board test at a mile.  If you have the sight adjustment, then it will do it.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 22:51
That gun there looks like an 1886 and a sweetie at that.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 23:26

there are groups in the west that shoot to 1000 yds with the 45-70-- with black powder, the guns are usually Sharps replicas, but don't bet against them.

beautiful piece --- good to go for at least 300 ydss.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 23:28
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

What would be the concensus on max effective range for the 45/70? And as for the 450, where would it place as I have no experience with either. I had not ever been interested in either until I began to read some of your posts. I enjoy carrying the ole 444 now and then and will continue to. But I plan to add a Blr to my collection and am favoring the 45/70. Found a nice one, maybe too nice but pretty don't hurt if the price is right.

I will load ammo for it when I get one so I expect it to do very well for range and accuracy.

Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
...............If you are planning on adding a BLR to your collection, I don`t believe that the new BLR`s are available in the 45-70.....The only .458 caliber available in the BLR is the 450 Marlin.

Concerning the 45-70 vs the 450 Marlin? There is nothing that one can do better than the other. Effective ranges for the 45-70 using the flat nosed bullets depends on what you`re hunting. My guess depending on the loads, from 125 to 150 yards, maybe more. The Hornady lever revolution 45-70 ammo probably offers more range.

However, the reloader has more possibilities using pointed bullets with a 450 Marlin BLR, which uses the detachable box magazine for loading.

Find a lever rifle in the 45-70, which has a detachable box, then you`ll have a 45-70 which would also have the same advantages; the better bullet BC`s, the better trajectories, and the better longer range capabilities that the pointed bullets offer.

Using the 450 Marlin w/ a detachable box, extends the effective hunting ranges another 50 to 100 yards minimum in my estimation using the pointed bullets. In that regard, the advantage clearly goes to the 450 Marlin BLR!

That was a major factor for me in favoring the BLR. 

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 23:28
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Yes sir, and if I can round up 1200.00 I may be able to bring it home. I may finish this building project in time but I've got alot of irons in the fire. I'm suppost to pick up a 1887 Winchester 12ga. this week. That will finish the dream my Dad had for his Winchester collection, that is mine now. Can't wait to get it home. The finish is all but gone but it is mechanically excellant. The pics will hit soon after.

I've gotta slow down, my gotta have it is threatenin my health.       

me  Chair%20Hit   my wife

If I could ever convince her of their appreciable value. Wink
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 23:45

That is why I have to buy all my guns while I am still single.  Avoids a lot of health issues.  Wink

Good looking gun!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 23:51
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

That is why I have to buy all my guns while I am still single.  Avoids a lot of health issues.  Wink

Good looking gun!
.........................If I ever do meet someone someday, WHERE THE DAMN TIMING IS FINALLY RIGHT, I`ll ask her if she is ok with hunting and gun ownership.....If not????..............SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......Hist-or-waaaaaa!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 08:58
It looks pretty nice from here and @ $1200 is priced very good.

Good luck
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 19:07
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Damn your good!! Wink

As stated, BEAUTIFUL rifle, Sarge!  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 20:42
You stole the words right out of my mouth Mark!!!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 23:08

Back to a comparison of the Marlin and the Blr. What is your thoughts on trigger comparison? Travel if any, pull wt., adjustibility and crisp or slip. Do you think the Marlin barrel is slightly heavier? 

I have decided against the 450 because it is belted and doesn't show me enough appreciable gain to justify having it over the 45/70. Plus in comparing it to the 444 I've learned some things. I had always thought the 45/70 had a tapered case, that was one reason I hadn't considered it before. Also the data I have below may be out dated but I was suprised at the difference in twist rates. I must admit I don't care for the slow twist this data shows for the 444 vs the 45/70 knowing that the latter is available with much heavier bullet options and suggests a 1-20 twist. Other than that there is less difference in the cases than I expected. One of my motives in wanting a 45/70 is range. I know it has been well established as one of remarkable distance. I am loading for the 444 and it is very reliable out to 300yds. I expect a 45/70 to handle that with ease.

45/70                                   444 Marlin

Specifications

Specifications

Case type

Rimmed, straight

Case type

Rimmed, straight

Bullet diameter

.458 in (11.6 mm)

Bullet diameter

.429 in (10.9 mm)

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 00:28
No BLR for you then!!....NA NA NA NA NA NA..............Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 10:07
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

No BLR for you then!!....NA NA NA NA NA NA..............Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

Why not ????

1886 Blr

It's ONLY 1200.00 + shipping

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 20:28

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Why not ????

1886 Blr

It's ONLY 1200.00 + shipping

..................Oooops! I didn`t think that was Browning!... Ok then!... You`ll have a BLR! Just not the new style!............NO pointy bullets though unless you do the Lever Revolution ammo..............Carvings look pretty good!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 21:24
Carvings...............I like that.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 21:38
i wouldnt shoot lever evos out of a vintage 1886, maybe a little to hot to handle
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 21:42
The 1886 Browning, as made in Japan, will handle #2 loads with no problem. The Evos are not beyond that. They are ~, though Wink.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 21:49
im not talking about a new one, i mean the old stuff, like the old win levers and browning levers.  they often give warnings about stuff like that in reloading manuals.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 21:55
That is a modern 1886 with a Lyman tang sight..................very nice, indeed. This one has the target disk installed on the sight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic