OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How many inches eye relief needed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rail4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many inches eye relief needed?
    Posted: August/02/2008 at 13:53
How many inches (on average) will a shooter's eye be from a scope in scout configuration.

I've ordered a Savage Scout 10FCM, and before I order a scope, I would like to ask others who have a scout rifle setup, about how many inches of eye relief are needed.

One scope I like states eye relief is 11-20", another says 9.37". Does this mean that a shooter's eye needs to be at least that far away?

Or am I looking too deep into this and will just any pistol scope do?

Thanks,

Rail
rail4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rail4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 14:35
BTW,

Would a 2x20 be OK on a scout rifle. It's a .308. Maximum shot distance will be maybe 250 yards.

Thanks...
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 15:45
Originally posted by rail4 rail4 wrote:

How many inches (on average) will a shooter's eye be from a scope in scout configuration.

I've ordered a Savage Scout 10FCM, and before I order a scope, I would like to ask others who have a scout rifle setup, about how many inches of eye relief are needed.

One scope I like states eye relief is 11-20", another says 9.37". Does this mean that a shooter's eye needs to be at least that far away?

Or am I looking too deep into this and will just any pistol scope do?

Thanks,

Rail
.........................The amount of eye relief depends on the rifle LOP and where your comfort zone or cheek position is...........

My rifle, which can use a conventionally mounted scope or a scope in the scout position, is the compact Ruger Frontier 300 WSM. With my scout scope on, the distance from my eye to the ocular is between 10" and 10.5"..........

The scout scope I use, is the Nikon Monarch 2.5-8x28 EER UCC. Other than the variable, a feature that this scope offers that no other scout can offer, is the use of a fast focus eye piece, which quickly adjusts for the maximum or best eye relief, regardless of the magnification it it set on.....Specs are 9" to 30"

Go to...."shootingtimes.com"....click..."optics" and then find the article entitled,,,,,Dual Purpose Optics from Nikon",,,, by Dick Metcalf. Excellent read on this Nikon, in which he explains how the fast focus works. Just as he says, when I change powers, I can quickly turn the eye piece and eliminate any dark circles around the lens perimeter for the best eye relief in any power.........After reading that, I ordered the Nikon.

The 2.5-8 Nikon, which also doubles as a revolver scope, offers more variable than just a fixed scout and is just as quick with both eyes open aiming set on the lower powers.

The only other two excellent quality scouts, are the 2.75x Burris and the 2.5x Leupold. The Burris lists its eye relief at 8.5 to 14" while the Leupold`s is listed at 9.3", either of which should work fine on your 308. The Leupold 9.3" listing means optimum eye relief. There is a little room to play. If your eye happens to be 10" or 10.5" away, it should be ok.

Pistol scopes can work as scout scopes.

Like my 300, your 308, regardless of its shorter barrel, is not a shorter to medium range round. It can reach out on deer to 300-400 yards if needed. In those instances, the Nikon  excels over all other fixed low powered scouts and pistol scopes.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 15:47
Burris and Leupold make dedicated scout scopes. Use one of those.  That's what the mounting system of your rifle is made for, the other stuff will be out of ballance.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

rail4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rail4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 15:55
Thanks to both of you, big squueze and silver. I appreciate the info.

I'm on somewhat of a budget, so a high-end scope is kinda out of the question.

I was looking at BSA or NCStar. In several months I'll have the money, but for now, after buying the rifle, I'm tight.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by rail4 rail4 wrote:

Thanks to both of you, big squueze and silver. I appreciate the info.

I'm on somewhat of a budget, so a high-end scope is kinda out of the question.

I was looking at BSA or NCStar. In several months I'll have the money, but for now, after buying the rifle, I'm tight.
..........................Yep! You`ll need to upgrade later for sure! If you don`t foresee shots exceeding 200-250 yards, the Burris or Leupold will be fine. Sometimes my hog shots exceed that, in which I prefer more magnification that my Nikon offers.  
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 16:08
the correct eye relief on a scout scope is what ever it is when the rear ocular is even with the ring of the receiver ande does not over lap into the magazine loading gate. you do what is necessary to make this happen, pistol scopes sometime work better because they are shorter with more extended eye relief if you can't get the scout models forward enough to solve the problem
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 16:48
Welcome to Optics Talk, rail!

What caliber is this rifle in, Dale?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 18:56
7-08 , burris pistol
rail4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rail4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 22:02
Dale,

Nice rifle. Are they as good as they say they are?

I'm ordering mine for a variety of uses: long range plinking, deer and hog hunting, and coyote control. I doubt any of my shots will exceed 250 yards.

I'm to the point where I don''t like the traditional scoping. I've looked through scout rifle scopes on rifles before and was impressed with how easy it is to acquire sight picture and sight alignment. The scopes I looked through were all 2 power.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 23:20
Just about any 2x pistol scope should work fine in terms of eye-relief.

Dedicated scout scopes from Leupold or Burris would be your best choice, but if you want to go with something cheaper, there are option other than NcStar or BSA (which are both certifiable crap, and yes I have tried them as scout scopes).

In order of ascending price:

Vortex Crossfire 2x20
Weaver 2x28
Burris 2x20
Nikon Monarch 2x20
Burris Scout 2.75x20
Leupold Scout 2.5x28

Personally, I would probably save up some money for a Burris Scout scope.

ILya
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 08:35

yes the concept works, and is extremely practical, advantages to me are the gun can be manipulated around the magazine easier and carried there much easier, the head is kept up and the shot follows more naturally -- like a good wing shot. a flowing motion. I prefer this set up when hunting, except for long open range shots, although the scout works amazingly well in this situation.

a big disappointment is that no really good scouts are made by zeiss and nf.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 10:04
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

yes the concept works, and is extremely practical, advantages to me are the gun can be manipulated around the magazine easier and carried there much easier, the head is kept up and the shot follows more naturally -- like a good wing shot. a flowing motion. I prefer this set up when hunting, except for long open range shots, although the scout works amazingly well in this situation.

a big disappointment is that no really good scouts are made by zeiss and nf.

............HERE! HERE!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 20:18
I agree with Koskin, I think you would be money ahead just to save up and get a good scope to start with. A good scope + good gun= Happy shooter
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic