OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new rifle and need a new scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new rifle and need a new scope
    Posted: July/31/2008 at 21:45
I have a new remington 700 in 308 and i need a new scope. What kind of scope do all of you recommend im hopin to shoot from 500 yrds. to about 800 yrds.  what would be the best scope for this application?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 21:50
What is your budget?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 21:50
Also is it a hunting scope or just a target scope?
breed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 21:55
My budget is for $300 - $800 i would like to stay in that range. Yes it will be used for varmint hunting along with target plinking.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 21:56
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 22:01
I would pic this one over the Bushnell because it has more elevation adjustment in it.  Add a 20 MOA base and you would have a 1000 yard capable setup. They have very comparable glass to the 4200 as well.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12321-2123-vortex-65-20x50-viper-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

http://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes/view/vortex_viper_6.5-20x50_pa_(black_matte)
base
http://www.swfa.com/pc-11561-1773-warne-tactical-1-piece-base.aspx
rings
http://www.swfa.com/pc-4651-633-burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm-rings.aspx

Edited by supertool73 - July/31/2008 at 22:04
breed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 22:03
would the super sniper scope be a good scope for that rifle
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 22:04
YEs that would be a great scope.  The 10x would be perfect
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 22:10
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 22:10
Yes the SS would be great if you want a fixed power.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 22:23
i dont recommend fixed power scopes for coyote or bobcat hunting, especially scopes over 6x
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 10:02
I'd go with one the recommended variables...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 15:42
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
The Big Dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 09:07
Hi Breed,
There are two scopes I can think of in your price range that would work great for you.   The Millett TRS-1  4x16 would be a good choice.  Mil dot retical, 93 MOA of internal adjustment, lit retical, and is rated to hold zero on a 50 BMG.  I know, I've done it.  The price is about $280 here at SWFA.  The other scope is the Millett LRS-1  6x25.  It has a 35mm tube, comes with tacital rings, and has 140 MOA adjustment.  It cost about $500 here at SWFA. 

I also have the Leupold and Nightforce target scopes but in my opinion,  The Millett is a close second behind them.  I think they will work very well for what you want to do.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog
happyness is a warm day and lots of varmints.
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 16:32
I have the Burris XTR 3-12 on a Tikka Tactical in 308. There have been mixed reviews on this forum but I think they have great glass and are very repeatable as well as being built in the USA. I would stay away from the Chinese scopes until they perfect trying to duplicate ours.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by rockblaster rockblaster wrote:

I have the Burris XTR 3-12 on a Tikka Tactical in 308. There have been mixed reviews on this forum but I think they have great glass and are very repeatable as well as being built in the USA. 

Really??
I don't recall much chatter at all on the Burris XTR on this forum.

I appreciate your imput on them. I'd like to see one up close once.
Terrific magnification range for me.Thunbs%20Up
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:00
Check the tactical forum as there have been some opinions in the archives. I personally really like it for the rifle its on. Of course a S&B PMII would be my preference. Mine has the illuminated mil dot with the side focus. This is not a light scope as it has very thick tube walls and large turrets, but has many features I like. I would suggest if interested visit the Burris web sight for specs. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:06
Here is a review from a post from a different sellers web sight that might be interesting.
                                                                                                                                            First and foremost I want you to know about my experience. I carried the MOS 8541 in the USMC for 11 and a half years, I am now a SRT Sharpshooter and have been for five years. I have used A LOT of awesome tactical scopes in my career. I recently purchased a new long range rifle and decided to give some new scopes a try. This scope was my second purchase for the new rifle due to major malfunction with the other. Upon receiving the Burris I was impressed with it right out of the box , yes its a little heavy, I said a little! Let's face it, you're not going to put this on your average deer rifle and in my case my rifles are already heavy so no big deal! The finish on the scope is outstanding and the glass is outstanding as well, since receipt I have used it on dark rainy days as well as bright sunny days in either case there was no distortion and optical clarity was outstanding! This in my opinion ranks right up there with scopes of much higher prices. The day I zeroed, I did a track test (live fire) with the target knobs, it tracked well and did not miss one click, for Police tactical purposes all of the fine tuning you can do with this optic is outstanding! You can set it and forget it or tune it in to see major detail. Once again the glass is outstanding! The mil dot reticle is just a little tight but still outstanding and any Sniper that has used M3 alphas and USOs will find this scope comforting to say the least. By the way, it comes with one black sun shade matte in color, if you don't like the color, paint it! I have logged well over 400 rounds in practice with this scope, my rifle has been bumped and knocked around and the scope still hasn't dropped zero that in itself says a lot about it, I wouldn't be scared to take it into a combat zone. By the way this scope comes with a lot of extra things such as an Allen wrench that's for resetting your knobs and the cool thing about it is that it stores in the top turret, it also comes with different radial replacement dials which is awesome! With the performance of this scope and all of the goodies it comes with and backed up by probably the best warranty in America....yes it cost more than what you're comparing it with...but hey it is only your rifles eyeballs and the difference between seeing and hitting your target or not. I know I'm really glad I spent the extra money!! I should have done it a lot sooner!!
Was this review helpful?  Yes |  No

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:15
Thank you.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 17:18
Big%20Smile Your welcome
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic