OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illuminated Scopes (BSA)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 12:56

Tasco 6-24x40 Target / Varmint Riflescope         $79.95
Tasco 2.5-10x42 Target / Varmint Riflescope      $64.95
Bushnell 3-9x40 Legend Riflescope                     $134.95
Mueller 4.5-14x40 APV Riflescope                        $114.95
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40                                          $169.95

I narrowed it down to these five scopes, I would like it if everyone willing to help would list the scopes from best to worst in quality and also in best to worst in value for the price.  I really appreciate all the help, this is a great forum which I'm glad to have found and will recommend it to all of my shooting friends.  Thanks guys.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 13:40
what about swift, nobody has mentioned them, and they offer a no questions asked warranty, they dont fix your broken scope, you get a brand new one for free.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 20:23
Pyro you are correct, I bought a SWIFT awhile back and have really been happy with it. IMHO - I would take TASCO off the list period......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 21:57
I have a Swift Premier 4-12x40 and it is, for the money invested, a very good scope. I tried it out with a tactical mount and it is quite adequate out to 500yds, with the mount. It has reasonable low light performance. I had it on a .243 for a long time and it was quite a deer bane. It should suit your requirements quite well.
I also have a BSA Sweet 22 mounted on a Ruger 10/22. It has performed very well. The BDC is within a tolerance of 1MOA out to 150yds. I have good results with it to 200yds. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you would have the same results, however, the one I have performs quite well for me. It is worth what I have invested in it.
Swift is under rated by most. I like the one I have, no complaints on anything I have asked of it. Swift has one of the best warranties around (even though it is not as good as when I bought the scope...at that time, even if you ran over it, they would replace it over the counter. Now, any non-abuse related failure gets replaced). However, I have had no problems with the scope. It has seen service on the .243, 30-06, and 7mmMag. My last usage of it was on a 30-06 BAR.
I also like the Sweet 22. If it fails, my opinion may change, but it has been a real performer for me. At this point, if it fell apart, it would have been worth the money. It has minimally acceptable low light capability, but I can see all the way to past legal shooting time with it. Not the best, but not the worst.
I agree with taking TASCO off the list, but have not used one in quite a while. I know people who love the ones they have... perhaps just because they own them. I had one, long time ago, that would not hold zero after about 20 rounds (.223), but that is my only experience. Never delved into TASCO again.

Edited by Kickboxer - August/03/2008 at 21:58
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Canis Latrans View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 23:26
Ok, thanks for your responses, would anyone care to list the scopes in order of best to worst quality, and best to worst value?  My goal is to get as many opinions as possible and base my purchase off of that.  Thanks.
kmwllmsn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmwllmsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 23:38
I don't know much about the scopes you listed except I have a bushnell legend 3-9x32 that I took off the rifle it was on and it just sits in a box now. It is junk in my opinion. I don't see the need for a 16x on a 22 at all. I would say a 9 power would be more than adequate for anything a 22 is capable of. As for hitting a golf ball at 100 yards it is definitely possible with a 3-9 and it shouldn't be a problem with a good 4x scope with a good reticle.

I have a 22 mag with a 4x scope on it and I have never really thought about getting a more powerful scope for it. It seems to be good enough for me for the caliber. If i was to go more more magnification I wouldn't go above 9x though. I have a bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 which is a good scope. It's a little more than the ones you listed but I think it would be worth it.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 10:17
 Instead of buying any BSA or Tasco ... you may as well hand the money to the first kid you see ... eliminate both those brands . The older tascos were descent ... and I repeat ... were . Save a bit longer and get another Nikon . You know what they are and the clarity and dependability ... common sense ... Wink   We all probably have one or two lousey scopes in a box we wasted money on ...
in hopes of " maybe it'll be descent " ! Are'nt fit for a daisy bb gun and not worth $2.00 .

Edited by mercenary1947 - August/04/2008 at 10:18
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 13:08
Ok thanks both of you.  After repeated suggestions to remove the Tasco's from the list I am doing so.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Legend Riflescope                     $134.95
Mueller 4.5-14x40 APV Riflescope                        $114.95
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40                                          $169.95

This is what I am left with and I am leaning towards the Bushnell 3-9x40 Legend.  To kmwllmsn, what didn't you like about this scope?  You said it was junk but how so?  To everyone else what scope do you think is the best out of these three, and what has the most value? Thank you.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 13:23
I am betting they are going to be pretty much listed in the order of cost as to which one is the best.  Those 3 companies are all about selling the best bang for the buck. 

The Mueller will probably have slightly less quality glass as it is more expensive to build a scope with a 4x erector vs the 3x the other two have.  So that fact that it is cheaper even with the higher power and 4x erector means they had to cut corners elsewhere. 
I had my Bushnell legend on a 45-70 for a time and it worked great, I thought the glass was very good for the money.  And now it sits on the .243 and does well on it as well. 
I have never looked through a prostaff so I can't compare the two.  But I do have a couple Bushell 4200 and some $1000 plus scopes and compared to them I think the Legend is a great scope for the money and think you will be happy with it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 13:47
Thank you very much supertool.  That was the best post so far and I thank you for giving me an honest opinion based on what I asked for.  That was very helpful and I will definitely keep it in mind when making my final decision.  Anyone else want to give me some input like supertool did?  Do you agree, disagree, have any expirience with eitehr scope?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 13:55
Both the Bushnell and Mueller have fully multicoated optics where the Nikon just has multicoated.  So maybe the Nikon will not be the best.  If I were you I would go to a store that sells them and take them outside and look through them and see which one looks the best to your eyes.  Then go back again in the evening if you can and look in the lower light and see which one looks the best.  That is really the best way to shop for optics.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 14:10
Ok, thank you you have been very helpful.  I will  do that when I can and I will also keep watching this thread for other peoples' input.
kmwllmsn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmwllmsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 15:55
I apologize for dissing the bushnell legend. I checked and it is actually a sportsman. Definitely wouldn't recommend that one because it overall lacks clarity and is horrible in low light. i don't know anything about the legend, but as I mentioned earlier would recommend an elite 3200. The legend would probably be pretty decent for the price but that is just speculation on my part. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 16:00
Originally posted by kmwllmsn kmwllmsn wrote:

I apologize for dissing the bushnell legend. I checked and it is actually a sportsman. Definitely wouldn't recommend that one because it overall lacks clarity and is horrible in low light. i don't know anything about the legend, but as I mentioned earlier would recommend an elite 3200. The legend would probably be pretty decent for the price but that is just speculation on my part. 

Ya, I can imagine a $40 scope would look like crap. Wink  I have a couple $40 tasco's and they are not to impressive.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 16:08
Why don't you send Chris Farris a PM or email here on the forum and ask him which is the best out of the 3.  I am sure he has looked through them all.  OR really any of the SWFA employees that regular the forum I am sure can give you the low down.  Stephanie, CF2, David, Brady

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 18:50
OK supertool, will do.  Thanks yet again for the help.  I was just wondering what exactly SWFA stood for.  I read the Rules of OT and saw that they are affiliated with SWFA but didn't say much about the company that I saw.  Whats the deal?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 18:57
They own opticstalk.com
SouthWestern FireArms

http://www.swfa.com/

Edited by supertool73 - August/04/2008 at 18:59

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 19:03
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

SouthWestern FireArms

South Western Firearm Accesories...I think. Loco

Welcome to Optics Talk, Canis Latrans!! Howdy 

Edited by cheaptrick - August/04/2008 at 19:04
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 19:14
Thank you very much, it has been a very helpful and surprisingly civil piece of the internet!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 19:17
Originally posted by Canis Latrans Canis Latrans wrote:

Thank you very much, it has been a very helpful and surprisingly civil piece of the internet!

Just don't mention.....Leupold, Chinese glass, or Millet and all will remain "civil". Down%20the%20Toilet    Wink 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic