OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illuminated Scopes (BSA)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illuminated Scopes (BSA)
    Posted: July/31/2008 at 13:20
Hi everyone, I am even more of a noob to this forum than I am to rifle scopes.  I was planning on buying a scope in the range of 4- 16x or so for my Marlin .22lr.  (I already have a Nikon Prostaff 4x and wanted to try more magnification.)  I didn't want to spend too much, only around $100 so I am looking for a cheap, but decent scope.  One I found that meets my requirements is the BSA Mil-Dot Riflescope which is available in 4-16x.  This scope has the option of an illuminated reticle, and it says in the description "Just turn the bright red reticle on when hunting in dark cover."

Now this seems to say that you can actually turn the illuminating feature on and off as you wish, I was under the impression that it was always on.  I also don't understand how the illumination is done, is it just like a more powerful light-gathering material in the reticle or what because I assume there is no actual power source.  If someone could just explain these two things to me as well as how they feel about illuminated scopes, I would be very grateful.

Also, what do you think about this particular scope?  It has a very high review rating and everyone seemed to like it.  I know you guys are probably used to dealing with very high end and pricey scopes, but I just can't afford it right now so I would like your honest opinions about the quality of the scope ect.  Also do you guys think I should go with the illuminated or non-illuminated and the 4-16 or 6-24x.  I want to do mostly target shooting from 50- 200yrds (depending on how far I can accurately shoot the .22.  One last thing, how well do you think the mil-dot system will help me to range find my targets and be more accurate?  I know how it works but have never actually used mil-dot so maybe you have some thoughts?  Thank you, I appreciate your time.

Link to scope
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0049692711344a&type
=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=BSA+scope&N=
4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=BSA+scope&noImage=0

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 13:39
I have two of those 4-16x mildots non illuminated, if you want one I will sell for $60 shipped if your interested.
Canis Latrans View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 13:50
Hmm I will think about it, what condition are they in, how long have you had them and what are your honest opinions of them?  Thank you for posting.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 13:57
One of them has some scratches in the finish, the other looks really good.  Honest opinion, is they are a $100 scope.  Glass is not very good, but that is all you get for a $100 scope.  The one with scratches on had on a savage .308 for a season for a hunt.  The other I mounted on a .22 for a short time.  Mechanically they are both fine. 

If you go into buying a cheap scope know you are not getting quality and not good glass and are okay with that then you will be fine.  If you are buying one of these thinking because people at Cabeles are giving it good reviews and think you are getting something amazing you will be sorely disappointed.  Those people giving them good reviews either don't know jack about good optics are they realize it is cheap and are basing their review on a cheap $100 scope. 

Edited by supertool73 - July/31/2008 at 13:58
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:06
Yeah I know it is a cheap scope and not perfect but it should make my groups better with my .22 at 100 yrds or so right?  Also, will the glass be worse than my 4x Prostaff Nikon?  It was only $120
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:12
I would say it will not be quite as good as the prostaff, especially when you get it above 8 or 9x.  That is where a cheap scope will really start looking bad, the glass does just not have the resolution capabilities to work well at higher powers. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:18
A scope that I also used to have that has much better glass than the BSA to my eyes is the Tasco Varmint scopes.  http://www.swfa.com/c-742-tasco-target-varmint-riflescopes.aspx  I actually have the 2.5x-10x on a .22 right now, it is not bad at all for the money.  I had a 6-24x for a while on that same .308 and sold the whole package to a buddy.  I think that particular tasco has much better glass than the BSA you are considering and they are cheaper also.

The BSA's seem to wash out more when you get any kind of sun glare into them. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:24
Thank you very much for the advice, how was the clarity on the 6-24x at the higher powers?  Would you consider this good value for the money for targets and rabbits/ woodchucks at around 100 to 200 yds?  Thanks for your help.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:30
At that price it is a fair deal If you want a BSA scope. At the price they sell for they are over priced. As for the illumination the scope is battery powered and you need to keep fresh batteries with you just in case it dies just when you need it. Turn off the light and it is a normal retrial. Ranging under 200 yds is difficult with out a target of known size. Error of the target size will give more error at closer ranges. With your stated porpuse you may be better served to get a laser range finder and know the distance instantly. The arc of a .22rf at 200 yds will require very accurate ranging. Mil dot ranging takes a lot of practice to be accurate with it. I will not slam a scope but I have a 2-7 BSA sweet 17 and I will not buy another. Good luck on your purchase. I have a Emocon for a BSA but you can search the forum for it.

Edited by 3_tens - July/31/2008 at 14:34
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:43
To my eyes the Tasco at 24x looked better than the BSA at 16x.  So at 16x it will be a lot better than the BSA.  It really is an okay scope for the money.  My buddy turns it up to 16x and beyond when we shoot out to 800 yards plus with our .308's and he makes decent hits with it.  

I honestly think you are way over scoping for shooting a .22, I think 10x would be ooddles.   But I am not a high power scope guy.  I shoot rock chucks at 200 and 300 yards with my AR with a fixed 4x.  If you think the higher power will allow you to shoot better I think you will be surprised/disappointed.  But you will be able to turn it down to 6x so it will probably do you fine.  Just don't plan on any real close moving targets with that setup as it will be very hard to track the animal in your scope.   To bad they don't have a 4-16x that would be better.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:54
I agree that a 4-16x would be better but like you said they don't have it.  When I originally bought my rifle I was going to get a 3-9x32 scope, but was convinced by others to get the fixed Nikon because they said it would be a better quality.  I really do like the Nikon and it is clear and bright as day to my eyes, but when I am shooting past 50 yards I don't seem to be very accurate with it. I hunt rabbits with a shotgun so  I don't hunt that often with the .22, it is mainly for target practice and fun, and a long range shot on pests if the opportunity arises. 

I know that a higher magnification is not going to make me magically better, but I feel that I will be able to notice things like my slight movements when shooting so I can correct them better.  Another thing is I have no hope of really seeing the impact holes of the .22 at 50+ yards with a 4X scope.  I really would like to know where I am shooting so don't you think that at least a 16x scope would help with that?  Thanks for your help.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 15:02
If you are willing to live with a 3-9x and will spend the little extra money, this scope will blow away the other two optically.  I have one of these on a .243 and it is a great scope for the money.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-2172-200-bushnell-3-9x40-legend-rifle-scope.aspx or the 5-15x http://www.swfa.com/pc-2176-200-bushnell-5-15x40-legend-rifle-scope.aspx

I realize it is more money but just thought I would toss them out there to ya.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 18:08
SI39X40MD Sightron%203-9x40%20SI%20Riflescope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $119.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now
I had one of these on a 22 that I was using to shoot 100 yds and I decided the 22 was not accurate as I would like and traded it and kept the scope and put it on a 30-06. The scope is awesome for what it costs and I am sure that it is more than enought for shots out to 200 yds. I use a rangefinder but I use the mil dots as know hold over points at maximum power like a balistic reticle.Snoopy
I had never considered Sightron until Koshkin gave them such high reviews, I am now convinced that this is the best scope in the around $100 or so price range.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/31/2008 at 18:12

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 12:33
I would think about getting thos scope but exactly how much can you see at 100 yards with it?  With a decent .22 I want to be able to consistently hit golf ball-sized targets at 100 yards on a calm day.  Is this realistic with a 3-9x scope because  I feel like it might be easier to see the ball with more magnification.  What do you think?
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 12:38
Unless you are shooting from a VERY steady rest position the higher magnification will make it more difficult.
God save the Empire!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 13:27
I like to shoot from either prone position with a bipod or standing/ sitting and rested on a log or whatever is available.  You think 9x is good for hitting golf balls at 100 yards?  The reason I ask is because there is a miniature golf course right across from my house and sometimes the people get really loud.

(Just kidding)
doubs43 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubs43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 14:03
SWFA offers this Tasco illuminated scope for $114.95 and what appears to be the same scope without the illuminated reticles for $79.95. I'd rate Tasco over BSA (from my own personal experience) any day.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-11978-742-tasco-6-24x42-target-varmint-riflescope.aspx
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 18:43
Originally posted by Canis Latrans Canis Latrans wrote:

I would think about getting thos scope but exactly how much can you see at 100 yards with it?  With a decent .22 I want to be able to consistently hit golf ball-sized targets at 100 yards on a calm day.  Is this realistic with a 3-9x scope because  I feel like it might be easier to see the ball with more magnification.  What do you think?
My avatar is my Anschutz 64 12" .22Lr with a Burris 2-7 B-plex. I call it my Possum Popper. The B-plex  is set for 50 Yds 75 Yds 100 Yds 120 Yds. 7 power is very adequate for hitting Golf ball sized targets out to 150 Yds. ( they do make great targets) It will shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups all day. 3/8 " groups If I get a real good batch of fresh ammunition. The biggest restraint for accurate .22 shooting is ammunition consistency. .22 ammunition seems to have the least consistency of any caliber I have shot. The higher velocity rounds have the largest variation. The hard to find standard velocity rounds have proved to maintain the tightest groups for me. Even the Match ammunition has considerable variance in powder levels on occasion. My favorite is the Federal Match 711B. It shoots best in this pistol.
Higher scope power allows you to see your movement but tends to make you over correct. Thus reducing your accuracy. Some do blame the scope as being less accurate but experience will prove where the problem is. Learn to watch your sight picture. Not where the cross hair is but how much of your target is visible on either side of your cross hair. Balance this and you will hit better.
I love to shoot long range .22 You would be suprised at what can be hit out to 300 yds. 3-9X with better glass is much better than 4-16 with less quality. the 4200 3-9x is hard to beat for the price.
Good glass always beats high power.
Lile

Edited by 3_tens - August/01/2008 at 18:50
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canis Latrans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 01:03
Ok, so what about just another Nikon Prostaff, but in 3-9x?  It seems that you guys thank that I would be able to accurately shoot at the ranges I have stated with 9x, so what do you think of this Nikon?  Can you point me to a better deal than this? 

Are the Tasco Varmint scopes better?  Are they a better deal?  Also, I picked silver because I have a Marlin 980s (stainless barrel) but color isn't that important, I would rather have a better deal.  Do you guys have any opinions on this gun?  Thanks a lot you guys are a big help and very knowledgeable
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 08:57
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10572-1507-mueller-4-16x50-tactical-riflescope.aspx I know this is above your budget, but you get what you pay for. http://www.swfa.com/pc-10570-1505-mueller-45-14x40-apv-riflescope.aspx another one to consider. IMHO- I would not BUY BSA. I tried them and they were JUNK.........I have the Mueller's and they have been good scopes for the money..
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic