OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed 4x on a .270???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed 4x on a .270???
    Posted: July/30/2008 at 23:24
I just picked up a new stainless mountain rifle off the clearance rack at Gander Mountain. - CHEAP!!!  couldn't pass it up. I can't really afford to glass it up right now but i do have an extra Conquest 4X32 floatin' 'round the house.  Most shots will be between 100-200 yards with an occasional deer walking across a path at 278 yards. What do you think? enough scope to get the job done or should I wait until I can afford another variable?  278 yards with a 4x power??? Hmmm!?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 23:37
Tough call, new rifle, you know you want to shoot it. But you also know that a variable scope is in your near future.   Big%20Grin

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 00:30
Id say put it on there and treat the duplex like it is a balistic reticle sight the center x at 200 and see if the point above where the crosshair goes from thin to thick isnt on at about 100yds and the point below where the crosshair goes thin to thick isnt on at about 300 yds. I'd say it can be done given the quality of the glass you have. Then if you need to switch out later that is OK too, I really like a 4-16 variable. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 01:06
Bricat, I have a new Elite 4200 3-9X40.  Interested in a trade?  I have a new .22 mag I would like the 4X to top it off.  Whatcha think?
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 01:12
Bricat, by the way, I saw those same rifles in Amarillo Gander and was very tempted, it was chambered in 308 which really made me want it.  I had just bought the Win Model 70 featherweight so I couldnt double up on guns.  But I really liked that gun.  What did you get your chambered in?
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 01:15
opps 270 win, went brain dead for a minute.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 02:47
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

I just picked up a new stainless mountain rifle off the clearance rack at Gander Mountain. - CHEAP!!!  couldn't pass it up. I can't really afford to glass it up right now but i do have an extra Conquest 4X32 floatin' 'round the house.  Most shots will be between 100-200 yards with an occasional deer walking across a path at 278 yards. What do you think? enough scope to get the job done or should I wait until I can afford another variable?  278 yards with a 4x power??? Hmmm!?
.......Put the 4x on,,,,FOR NOW!!!..........WinkWinkWinkWinkWink 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 03:05
What is wrong with a 4x?  People have been shooting human sized targets out to 800 yards with 4x scope for years without any real problems (and that is with 4x scopes that are not as good as your Conquest).  It is probably not the best choice for counting points on a deer, but for hunting you should not feel underscoped in any way shape or form. 

I made an experiment a while back at the range where I have metal plates of various shapes set every hundred yards out to 700 yards.  I can hit things with about the same regularity with 3x as I can with a higher magnification scope out to about 350-400 yards.  I can't shoot groups quite as small out past 100-150 yards, but I do not think that makes any difference for hunting.  The catch is that the scope has to be of good quality (and your Conquest certainly is).  I was doing my experiments with 3x and 4x IOR scopes and did not feel handicapped at all.  With Burris Compact 4x20 (a decent scope in its own right, but not quite as good), I had a bit less success with small targets since I had to work harder to see them clearly enough.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - July/31/2008 at 03:05
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 04:43
Thanks Ilya, that's kinda what I was thinking but my media influenced brain and emotions couldn't fathom not having a "hi-powered variable" on a .270. I have the same scope on my Ruger no.1 in 45-70 and somehow (in my mind) that was "normal" because it's my "short to medium range" rifle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 06:32
i have shot more animals on 3x than any other so i cannot see any reason why you wouldnt be able to get away with the straight 4x
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 06:55
Put the 4X on there and just leave it there if you're only going to shoot at deer under 300 yards.  Sight your 270 in to strike 3 inches high at 100 yds--you'll be approx. 4 inches high at 200 and dead on at 275 with 130 grainers.  A four power would be fine for deer sized game!  I had a 4X Leupold on a Winchester XTR Featherweight for thirteen years long ago. It was a real "lightweight" outfit.  You can certainly shoot deer with it.....

Only ONE TIME I could not see antlers on a deer at about 250 yards...........But the Conquest is probably a better scope than that older Leupold M8 scope was from 1981.....
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 08:21

Give the 4x a whirl..it if works out for ya --great..If not, grab a variable down the road , but you should be good to go with a quality 4X like the Zeiss

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 08:31
IMHO- I agree with the above, 4X is Great as long as you have a good quality scope on the gun.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 08:37
I have a 4x on a deer gun and love it, very clear, very bright; why mess with something that works well, keep the 4X.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 08:45
a fixed 4 (especially a conquest) will do you quite well.  It's a VERY comfy image and plenty out to 200 if you can make the ethical shot in legal light.

You'll probably never change that scope.  I wouldn't.

J
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 10:03
I'm one of the minorities but a .270, for deer hunting, I would eventually put a variable scope on. A 3x9-40 Conquest is only 1.25oz heavier than a Conquest 4x and way more versatile. Sounds like you have a number of hunting scenarios with longer shots including the 275+ yard-er.

I have a 4x on my ar15 but that's a little different. Wink 

Edited by mike650 - July/31/2008 at 10:19
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 10:56
There are many who like the fixed 4x`s......In the `ol days the 4x were the standbys, that was used in every condition, plains, brush etc..........If it works, then great!....Some of us though, including me are variable afficionados.........In fact, in playing around, I just transfered my 1.5-5x20 VX3 German #4 over to my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier compact from my 375 Ruger.........Ya know something! On that 35.5" OAL rifle, it looks better, its better porportioned to the rifle`s length and the lower profile looks better than the Nikon scout did and its just as quick!! I just may leave it on there and get another for the 375.... 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 11:06
"We don' need any talk comin' out of your mouth, Señor Beeg Squeeze.....!" 

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 13:37
The fixed 4x you mentioned has one very redeeming feature... ITS PAID FOR!  Run the heck out of it!
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 13:48
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

The fixed 4x you mentioned has one very redeeming feature... ITS PAID FOR!  Run the heck out of it!

Excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic