OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 4200 vs Nikon Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 4200 vs Nikon Monarch
    Posted: July/30/2008 at 13:01
I'm thinking about re-scoping my 6.3lb Tikka T3 Lite 300WM. When I first bought this rifle my dealer talked me out of buying a Nikon Buckmaster and into a Nikko Stirling Nighteater 4-16x44 SF (grrrrrrrrr). I've already written up that disaster. Those things have very short real world eye relief and I got seriously tired of getting smacked by it every time I pulled the trigger. I've tried a lower powered scope (Burris SS) and the eye relief was much better but I really want to go back to a 4-16x40-something and I've really been leaning heavily toward the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 SF because of the massive < 3.7 eye relief and the quality of the optics. Getting smacked in the face 8 or 9 times really does make one appreciate lots of eye relief. My question is how does the Philippine built Monarch compare with the (LOW built?) Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 SF? The use will be a combination of hunting and 200yd target shooting. These two are as far as my budget stretches.

FWIW my only Monarch experience is with the 3-9x40 Team Primos and my only 4200 experience is with the 6-24x50 30mm Tactical so I can't really compare apples to apples from personal experience.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 14:02
You should probably get the Monarch just due to the eye relief issue. I like the 4200 better but the Monarch should have more eye relief.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 14:05
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I'm thinking about re-scoping my 6.3lb Tikka T3 Lite 300WM. When I first bought this rifle my dealer talked me out of buying a Nikon Buckmaster and into a Nikko Stirling Nighteater 4-16x44 SF (grrrrrrrrr). I've already written up that disaster. Those things have very short real world eye relief and I got seriously tired of getting smacked by it every time I pulled the trigger. I've tried a lower powered scope (Burris SS) and the eye relief was much better but I really want to go back to a 4-16x40-something and I've really been leaning heavily toward the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 SF because of the massive < 3.7 eye relief and the quality of the optics. Getting smacked in the face 8 or 9 times really does make one appreciate lots of eye relief. My question is how does the Philippine built Monarch compare with the (LOW built?) Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 SF? The use will be a combination of hunting and 200yd target shooting. These two are as far as my budget stretches.

FWIW my only Monarch experience is with the 3-9x40 Team Primos and my only 4200 experience is with the 6-24x50 30mm Tactical so I can't really compare apples to apples from personal experience.
...............................OuchOuchOuch....Crutch.........So much for the advice from the dealer uh????.Laugh...............

The 300 Win in a light Tikka will offer some good recoil. I am somewhat familiar with lighter rifles......Any particular reason why you require a 4x16 variable? You buy a Tikka T3 lite and then slap a heavier scope on it?..Dealer advice?...Yer dealer!Butt%20KickSqueezer!
Might as well have bought a heavier rifle and then put a lighter scope on there!  

Optically, the Elite 4200 and the Monarch should be just about on par with each other. The Monarch I believe, will have the better eye relief if I`m not mistaken.

Unless your eye sight is not the best, you`re doing some paper punching at 300-400 yards or more, or doing some smaller longer range varmit hunting, a heavier 4x16 scope on that Tikka,, is contrary to the theme of that rifle.

Reduce your variable, which will reduce your scope weight, size and length and get a scope with the best eye relief possible.

My recos?.......A lighter scope with a max. variable @ 10x tops, with longer eye relief! A 3x9 is your best all around variable. In fact, many use 2.5-8x36`s such as the VX3 offering.

The Monarch offers good eye relief. The Leupolds also offer good eye relief, while being lighter and more compact in certain models. A much better arrangement for your Tikka than that Nikko could ever be!....................Some dealers just don`t know what they`re doing and many don`t know what in hell they`re talking about either!!....  
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 14:53
My dealer wanted me to have the same thing he hunts with (The Tikka in .300WM with the N-S) and knocked a ton off the rifle. I just don't think he knew any better about the scope because he's a good guy and has always treated me well. The N-S is off the Tikka because I hated the face damage and is in the shop because the parallax, even with SF, was so bad that I couldn't use it on a 22lr. I could always stick the Burris SS 3-10x40 on it once it gets out of the shop. But I need one more scope anyway. The Burris is a refurb with a bad erector from the getgo so I'm not having much luck with bargain scopes this week.

My Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 is 13.1" long and weighs 17oz.
A Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 is 13.1" long and 17.6oz.
A Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 is 13.5" and 18oz.

You're right that 4200 is probably too long at 14.4" & 18oz. Oh well. Anyway I have a selection of .30 cal rifles. A full size 30-06 for GP that I want to re-scope with that Burris and a short 20" Howa .308 with a 3-9x40 Team Primos that I bought for use as a brush rifle. So I want at least 12x for my reach waaaaaay out there .300WM even if I never use that much magnification.

Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 15:12
Man!.........You like those heavy scopes!!!...... Let me tell ya something though!... On any hunt, if you can`t get it done (WAAAAAAY OUT THERE) with a 8x or 9x,,,you won`t get `er done (WAAAAY OUT THERE), with a 12x neither!!...................SO! If you know you`ll never use the 12x max., why not buy a 10 to 12oz. scope with a lower variable?... In my 35+ years of hunting with a 300 Win., I have never used greater than 8x, even with shots out to 500 yards on deer sized game..............A Tikka T-3 lite with a 17 to 18 oz. scope???...WELL OK THEN!!! Roll%20Eyes
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 17:51
I have a Elite  4200 2.5-10 x40  on a 300 Wby , and a 2.5-10 x50 on a 300 Ultramag,,the eye relief has never been an issue on these less than tame kickers... I think this magnification range and 40mm size would work just fine ( as would the 3x9 ) ..I have a couple of Nikon Monarchs, and have had the very unpleasant need to deal with their customer service on a 3x9 Monarch that lost tracking after a handful of 30-06's...Sh*t happens - I know , but they were less than helpful to say the least... Plus , the Elite's rainguard is a worthwhile feature
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 18:43
If you insist on something in the 4-16 range, add the leupold vx3 to your list, they are shorter, lighter and offer some of the longest eye relief available, all while providing the same level of optics as the 4200 or monarch.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 19:20
I think I need to rethink a bit. The reason that I had planned on that much magnification is at I figured I'd use it 10x more for target shooting than anything else. Maybe I need to rethink this. I'm not that good a shot anymore to be taking game much past 200yds but I'm retired now and putting the time into it. I'll think on this a bit.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 22:35
i will tell you glass wise, minus the rain guard i have a very tough time distinguishing a difference between the monarch ucc the team primos and the 4200 all in 3x9x40's, but thats just me, i know a couple of other members have had similar findings.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 22:56
Lookin good there Martin....Thunbs%20Up
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 23:22
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Lookin good there Martin....Thunbs%20Up

Ditto
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 18:22
Thanks fellers--I looked hi and low for a new in the box stainless MKV .. I fitted that one with a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock and the 4200 Elite...Shoots 150's to 180's with boring sub inch consistency...It'll get'er done ....
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 00:00
Save up and get a Conquest 3-9X40........ it has great glass and 4 inches of ER.
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 14:52
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Save up and get a Conquest 3-9X40........ it has great glass and 4 inches of ER.
i would disagree with that, while the conquest is a nice scope, its not $150 better than the 4200 elite, and its not $200 better than the nikon is either, when i tested all three of these scopes at the same time all in 3x9x40 i couldnt see any huge differences, marginal is probably more accurate at most.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 21:14
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

If you insist on something in the 4-16 range, add the leupold vx3 to your list, they are shorter, lighter and offer some of the longest eye relief available, all while providing the same level of optics as the 4200 or monarch.

I would consider the VX III a notch below the 4200 and Monarch.  I have all 3 and that's the way my eyes see it.
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 14:15
Sightron makes the SIIB in 4-16X42 Silver. Loads of eye relief and clear as a bell.

Rob
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 22:44
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I would consider the VX III a notch below the 4200 and Monarch.  I have all 3 and that's the way my eyes see it.
Ditto that.  I have 2 vx III 4.5-14 Varmint and they are both optically lacking. (Not very clear)
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bear2000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bear2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 20:47
I went back and forth the Nikon Monarch (Team Primos) 3-9x40 and the Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x40 for what will be a new Tikka T3 6.5x55.

Today I went with the Bushnell 4200 - found one NIB for $224 otd, I think I did pretty well.

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 21:09
Well I went back and forth on this and chewed the heck out of it and finally decided to do nothing for now. My 3-10x40 Burris Signature Select will be back from the shop in two weeks and as long as it actually works this time I'll keep it on the Tikka. I just decided that I really don't use it for target practice enough to justify a more powerful scope and I'd rather not have AO or SF on a hunting rifle. But if Burris sends me another defective scope I'll be back in the market for either a Monarch in 2.5-10x42 or a Sightron SIIB 3-12x42 w/o AO depending on my finances.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic