OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

20x Super Sniper questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote far50shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20x Super Sniper questions
    Posted: July/30/2008 at 02:26
Ok I am considering a 20x SS for a 50 bmg rifle. I want to be able to shoot at 50 yards but plan on dong a lot of shooting at 1000 yards in competiton and Live to shoot at 1 mile plus.
I keep hearing how Mirage is a huge problem with highpower fixed scopes. What am I supposed to do?

A 10x wont go to 1  mile and 1000 yards the target is still small in a 10x. All I hear is buy the 16x SS from all the guys at SWFA. SO am I right to assume the 20X SS is for long range 400+ and fairly mild temps like 85 deg or less. I Live in Vegas and it is only 85 a few days out of the year. How do you learn to shoot in Mirage?  Am I doomed to have to by a Variable nightforce to be happy? I have really been wanting the 20x SS but cant seem to pull the trigger because of all the controversy.

The parallax on the 20x adjusts from 10 meters to infinity so it should be able to shoot a target at 30 yards right? Any and all info from people who know would be helpful. I am so confused. Thanks Far50
I built this one, Build your own!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 03:09
If I understand you correctly are you talking of a 20x fixed power scope?
If this is the case, then even though you adjust the parallax to 10m, you will struggle to see the target at such a short range. Your field of view will be horrendously small. Shake will also be overly difficult to manage.
If you intend to shoot at short distances, you need to look at a variable scope that you can dial down at short distances. This will also help you manage the mirage.
Leupold has for example the 8,5-25x50, which will work under your conditions.
far50shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote far50shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:20
I am leaning towards the Mark 4. just need to finalize the power and reticle. Thx for your time. far50
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:32
I take classes by Vegas out in the desert at Frontsight.  During March we were out shooting a .50 at 1 mile and 2350 yards at 6:30 in the morning.  We were using a Nightforce scope with a top end of 25x I believe, and the mirage was so bad at that distance and that high power that the target looked like it was moving back and forth 20 or 30 feet from side to side.  It was tough to see at that distance even with a scope with really good glass like a Nightforce. 

8Shots is right on the money, a variable will be the best choice so you can power down on those high mirage days.  If you can afford the extra, buy the nightforce instead of the Leupold, they have significantly better glass than a MK4 and will make a huge difference at those longer ranges.  The guy that owned the .50 used to have a MK4 8.5-25x and said he could just not see well at those long distances so he sold it and bought the Nightforce and said it is working much better for him.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2008 at 14:34
But if you can't afford either of those my recommend with be the 16x SS as well.  It will be enough for 1 mile and it will cut down quite a bit on the mirage over the 20x version.
far50shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote far50shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 12:57
I shot the exact same ALS at fronmt sight with a man named Mark, ( an awesome dude) It was a night force. and we made some 1 mile shots on a steel target, The scope and gun were awesome. We are going to be doing a lot of testing with the Bohica  FAR50 MKIII. Very soon. I got a line on a 5.5-22 x 56 NXS used but the reticle isnt my first choice. It's the NP 1RR , I can assume they can swap reticles at NF, but not sure if ti is cost prohibitive. I wan the NP-R1
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 17:47
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 01:03
If you can afford the $3500 + for the rifle and the $6. a shot ammo I'm thinking you ought to just buy the right scope to start with Nightforce or S&B or U.S. Optics. If for some reason that doesnt work buy the 16x Super Sniper and play with it or buy the 20x and play with it. It is a love hate relationship with the 20x - I have had one and traded it on a 10x but the 20x is a lot more useable than most give it credit for and the price is quite reasonable. you might want to get Kenton Ind, balistic marked knobs for the scope though.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GLZ View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GLZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 07:12
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Have you looked at an IOR?

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10160-292-ior-3-18x42-tactical-35mm-rifle-scope.aspx

I have a FAR MK II  and am trying to figure out which scope. I really like the IOR so I called Val in Colorado. He felt like on a heavy 50 his variables would be Ok but does not think they will last on a light gun like the ALS, FAR Ferrett.... His fixed scopes will work but I want a variable.
His advice was get a Mark IV. I've been bouncing back and forth between that and a NXS. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 09:20
Originally posted by GLZ GLZ wrote:

His advice was get a Mark IV. I've been bouncing back and forth between that and a NXS. 

I would get the NXS, they have noticeably better glass than the Leupold.  That will make a lot of difference for the real long range shooting. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 09:24
I don't think I would ever buy a .50.  Mark the instructor at Front Sight Far50 and I are talking about says it takes hours to clean that baby everytime he shoots it.  He takes it home after his morning shooting session and soaks the barrel down in copper remover and then lets it sit all day and then goes home a scrubs it for hours to get all the copper fouling out of it.  Maybe it is just his gun, but it would never be worth it to me if I had to spend that much time cleaning.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 09:03
 I agree with 8shots though ... you better take a variable at 20x and check out all the negative reasons NOT to buy a fixed 20 . Mine varies from 6-20x and believe me I would'nt want her locked down at 20 all the time . Supertool ... yea but just to have all that power of a .50 !! Of course I'd need a bag wagon with an engine to carry it and all the ammo into the boonies ... or a couple of muscle bound midgets . Never fired a shoulder held  .50 .... only on a turret / tripod . That was brain rattling enough years ago . After a few belts of ammo ... I did'nt need a massage . I'd still love to have one !!!!!    They're like a hot ... strong woman ... grab hold with both hands and enjoy the thumpin !

Edited by mercenary1947 - August/05/2008 at 09:07
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic