OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barnes tipped triple shock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barnes tipped triple shock
    Posted: July/30/2008 at 01:29
What do you guys think about the new Barnes tipped TSX?  They advertise it as a "hyper - velocity" cartridge.  It seems as though they achieve this "hyper - velocity" by giving you a light for caliber bullet. For instance, the 270 uses a 110 grain bullet as opposed to using a 130 grain regular TSX. (factory loaded Federal cartridges). What do you think? good idea or just another marketing gimmick?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 03:21
Not to long from now they will market the "Original Barnes Bullet" as made twenty years ago.
It is mostly marketing hype. Barnes has tweaked the design a bit to allow for better bullet expansion.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 07:54
I see they are now speeding up a lighter bullet so it can open fully and not pin hole like they have in the past.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 08:23
Supposedly the composite tip opens up the all copper bullet faster and prevents the "clogging" on impact that may have limited expansion with the previous open tip design....but I haven't tried it either

Edited by martin3175 - July/30/2008 at 08:24
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 08:25
I have not tried any out on game yet but have reloaded a few.  The ones I tried in a 300 win mag were the 180 gr and they were very accurate, like the regular TSX's.  I always liked the regular triple shocks for accuracy and still use them in the larger calibers, .308 and up and 180 gr and up.  It seems the hollow points get larger with the larger calibers

338, 308, 284, 277, 264

It seems the hollow point behind the tips on the tipped triple shocks are larger

250 gr TSX 338 caliber, 225 gr TTSX 338 caliber

I sort my bullets by weight and the Barnes TTSX's are not as consistant as some others like Sierra or Nosler.  Here is a box of 50 TTSX's in 338 caliber laid out on a towel starting from lightest at upper left down to heaviest at lower right

The breakout was
224.0 gr - 1
224.2 gr - 1
224.3 gr - 2
224.5 gr - 1
224.6 gr - 1
224.7 gr - 1
224.8 gr - 2
224.9 gr - 12
225.0 gr - 12
225.1 gr - 9
225.2 gr - 1
225.3 gr - 1
225.4 gr - 3
225.6 gr - 2
225.7 gr - 1

The 225 gr TTSX is the first bullet I am going to try in my new 338RUM when it gets here.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 08:33
the point behind the tip is better b.c. numbers and its also handy to initiate expansion. barnes whole premise with the tsx series was to make it possible to use a lighter bullet in all applications and get the same or even better results as  the guys using the heavier "standard" weight of regular style bullets.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 12:05
Barnes has some nice .458`s in the pointed, for longer range potential, that I will use in my new 450 Marlin BLR, making it an effective 200-250 yard game buster.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 17:44

In the very near future we will all be using non-lead type bullets, Barnes just has a jump on the competition.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 03:42
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

In the very near future we will all be using non-lead type bullets, Barnes just has a jump on the competition.

I agree with you on the non leaded issue. In South Africa we have two other companies also making excellent monolithics. Unfortunately my own experience is not so good with monolithics.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 17:24
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Barnes has some nice .458`s in the pointed, for longer range potential, that I will use in my new 450 Marlin BLR, making it an effective 200-250 yard game buster.

I'd say it ought to work very well to 300 or more.  I'm shooting 50 cal musket zeroed at 200 yds and just smoking them left and right with Barnes copper tipped 250 gr Spitfire TMZ.  I recovered one from a large 9 point two years ago shot comming toward me end to end and the fully expanded bullet was just under the hide by the right hind leg. Awesome expansion.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sheephunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheephunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2008 at 00:09
I have had great luck with the TTSX, just pricy. I did kill a ram with them this fall. I am going to use these a little more. Shoot and kill good so far.
"There is no defense comparable to that of being fully prepared to meet the enemy." George Washington
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 13:59

The Barnes TTSX or TSX bullets expand better the faster they are going.  One way to get that is to drop bullet weight.  Several customers at the gun store I work at have had great success with the Barnes bullets.  One guy took a 45/70 to Africa and shot a water buffalo right below the gullet.  Round went staight through exiting the right ass cheek.  He said it sat down and then fell over.  Bullet was a 300gr Barnes DPX.  Had another come in yesturday after coming back from an elk hunt where he took one using a Ruger M77 .270, bullet used was a 110gr TTSX, you guessed it dropped him right where he stood.  Barnes knows what they are doing. 

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 14:15
My brother's using 'em with his .300 RUM and they seem to perform real well. Thunbs Up

We're not forced to use all copper bullets yet where we hunt in Northern Kali but I'm sure that will change soon. I'll probably be changing over by next season.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 23:43
i was super impressed with the way they shot in my 6.5rem mag (120gr tsx)
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 12:25
They shoot good enough for hunting in my 338RUM

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 08:51
good holy god thats a nice group!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 19:11
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

good holy god thats a nice group!

Thanks pyro, would you believe that I find a load like that (it is not even over book max) and the primer pockets are going bad after 3 firings.  I backed down to 96 gr and will see how it shoots.

The point is that the TTSX's will shoot.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 20:02
I've had good luck with them (on the range).  I switched over to accubonds because they shot better in my gun.  But I was just being picky.  TTSX are really good bullets...just don't shoot too many or the you'll need an economic bailout.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 14:18
I looked all over hell and back trying to find some of the Federal ammo in 270..... for my kid to shoot coyotes with.... pretty fast and only 110 grns.  I even called Federal to see where they had shipped some and still couldn't find any.  I don't give a sh*t about performance since he'll be using them on coyotes.  Was just wanting a "fast" round!  Pretty pricey is right, $43 a box, so maybe it wasn't so bad I couldn't find any!!!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 14:19
reload your own! you can make 2.5 boxes for $43 if you roll your own, guess im gonna have to come to omaha and learn you todd!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic