OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pecar Scope Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daytripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pecar Scope Question
    Posted: July/29/2008 at 19:28
Greetings:  I have finally purchased my first Pecar scope (a 3-7 variable). It's a great scope but I seem to be misunderstanding something.  I am unable to turn the variable power ring to change power.  It acts as if it is locked in place.  I am assuming it simply turns like any standard scope I am familiar with, but that doesn't seem to be working and you know what they say about assuming.

Can anyone assist this rookie?

thanks! 
Daytripper
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 20:12
I have done some checking around and cannot find info on a Pecar scope.  The company is German and has gone out of business.  Sorry not much I can find out for you, PM Koshkin maybe he can help you.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 20:14
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I have done some checking around and cannot find info on a Pecar scope.  The company is German and has gone out of business.  Sorry not much I can find out for you, PM Koshkin maybe he can help you.
excellent advice, chris farris or chris farris2 may be of some help also.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 20:17
Check with Huntmaster (Derek). He is a member here and I believe was also an importer of Pecar optics.

http://opticstalk.com/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20080729201501&KW=
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 22:41
[QUOTE=tahqua]Check with Huntmaster (Derek). He is a member here and I believe was also an importer of Pecar optics.

I import Seeadler-Optik brand of scopes and bino's. But I also own several Pecars. Excellent scopes, was a shame they went out of business.
 Daytripper - is this a well used scope ? The only time I have seen the power adjustment " lock up ", someone had tightened the rings down on the tube so tight it crushed the erector tube and assembly. I still have the scope ( I warrantied it ), and after forcing the power ring to turn, the scope " blurred " . 
 Check the outside of the power ring to see if there is a small set screw on it. If it is, it might be loosened to allow the ring to turn.
 Whatever you do, DON'T put penetrating oil or WD 40 type spray on the scope. Lots of people use this to clean and protect the scope, but, it can penetrate the o rings and damage the inside of your glass. Feel free to contact me anytime about your Pecar - I can send you in the right direction to have it repaired if you must go that route.
Derek    

zigliss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 03:03

Daytripper - good advice from Derek.

You may also want to check if the eye piece has been screwed on too tight. This backs up against the vaible mag ring and I have come across a 4-10x45 that had supposedly 'seized' when actually the eyepiece housing ad been overtightened. If you are looking through the scope the Pecar Berlin graphics should be pointing striaght up. Also bear in mind that the varibale rings is meant to be reasonably 'tight' to turn.

Tell us how you get on. I have a couple of the 3-7x35's and they are great scopes.

Cheers,

Jason
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 20:19
Any feedback on the problem for us Daytripper? I have the phone # for the former owner. You can have it if you want to pursue on that level.
Derek
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 20:27
Thank you, Derek.
Your concern is appreciated,
Doug

zigliss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 10:22
Did you get this sorted Daytripper?
stiowio View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiowio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 12:50
Gents...

I am the proud owner of a Pecar 3-7x40 Scope. Unfortunately it is suffering from the same problem I read about in another thread here on Opticstalk. The variable zoom is jammed!

I have therefor purchased the new Swarowski Z6 2-12x50 with a 50mm tube.

My question is this: Is there any chance that my Pecar 3-7x40is a 30mm tube?
The reason I am asking you guys and not just go and measure it, is that I am offshore working and my rifle is back home in Denmark.
The rifle by the way is a Steyr Mannlicher 6.5 x 55 full body rifle with the nicest "swing mount". I want to reuse this swing mount for my new scope....

I hope you can help me, and I thank you in advance!

Soren
Daddy, why is mum running from side to side screaming? Shut up boy and hand me some more ammo! :-)
stiowio View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiowio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 12:51

CORRECTION: The Swarowski is naturally a 30mm tube, not a 50mm!

Daddy, why is mum running from side to side screaming? Shut up boy and hand me some more ammo! :-)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 18:21
Hello stiowio,
welcome to the O.T. . Pecar made some fine optics in it's day. You are fortunate to have one.
Concerning the tube size - Pecar only manufactured 26mm and 30mm tubed scopes that I know of. I have both types here.
 I would try to find a repair shop in Europe to fix that scope. They are well worth the cost of repair. 1st ,I would check the tube for crush marks. It is possible the rings were tightened too much and collapsed the tube on the erector assembly. It doesn't take much to slightly crease the tube enough to lock up the zoom feature.
Hope this helps,
Derek
stiowio View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiowio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 00:53
Hi again...
Thank you very much for the rapid reply!

I will try to find a repair shop!
You wouldn't by any chance have a link to a good one, would you?

Thx in advance!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2008 at 20:27
stiowio,
check your messages. - hope this is of some assistance.
Derek
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 04:39
Here is a link with some info. Eagle Hurst Sporting | Pecar Berlin

I have a few Pecars including two 4xJr but I won't part with them for the world. They are too good compared with modern massed produced glass. Not all the reticles are interchangeable depending on the model of scope.

I emailed S & B and and asked them if they had taken over Pecar and do they do Pecar repairs. I received a reply from a Klaus Gorzel in their service Department who stated they had not taken over Pecar and that I contact: 

Ulrich Kothe
Gruner Weg 14
35578 Wetzlar
Tel 0049 (0) 6441-28692
Telefax 0049 (0) 06441-26432
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 18:27
Thanks for the info, may be useful for those of us who still have Pecars.
tophet1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tophet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2010 at 23:40
Here is an Aussie repairer who I have used. 

Optical Restorers and scope repairs
Malcolm Eames repairs rifle scopes, binoculars, telescopes and microscopes at Westlake in Brisbane. Malcolm is trained at Zeiss.  He can be contacted on 07-3715 5603 or 0407 007 116. 

meames@bigpond.net.au

There are no longer the vast options of different reticles that can be used but I believe Malcolm can replace some Pecar reticles with a Zeiss #8 which is an excellent reticle for all round use. Malcolm offers a repair or/and full refurbishment service.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic