OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX III? Elite 4200? Why?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX III? Elite 4200? Why?
    Posted: July/29/2008 at 16:16
I posted earlier about scoping my pre garcia finnbear.  I've determined that the best criteria for this rifle is:  3-9 or 3-10 power, 40mm objective (pretty sure 42mm won't fit), gloss finish (to match finish on my Sako), no Swaro or Zeiss 3-9 due to short tube length since I'm using the old style sako rings that came with it.  I'm wanting to use the 4200 2.5-10x40 because I love the optics and toughness, but don't really like the eye relief specs (I've never used or looked through this model).  I'm not a big fan of Leupy ( in this case the VX III 3.5-10x40) anything, but it may be adequate for this.  Which one of these two do you choose?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 16:56
I don't recall what caliber you're shooting but the only reason not to choose a 4200 is eye relief. It's why I want a Nikon Monarch for my Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM. For anything hard kicking I want a minimum of 3.5". For anything else I think 4200s rock.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 16:58
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I posted earlier about scoping my pre garcia finnbear.  I've determined that the best criteria for this rifle is:  3-9 or 3-10 power, 40mm objective (pretty sure 42mm won't fit), gloss finish (to match finish on my Sako), no Swaro or Zeiss 3-9 due to short tube length since I'm using the old style sako rings that came with it.  I'm wanting to use the 4200 2.5-10x40 because I love the optics and toughness, but don't really like the eye relief specs (I've never used or looked through this model).  I'm not a big fan of Leupy ( in this case the VX III 3.5-10x40) anything, but it may be adequate for this.  Which one of these two do you choose?
....................Unless you are a stock crawler with a questionable shooting position, the 4200`s eye relief at 3.3" should be ok for your `06.

I had a 3-9x40 4200 (same eye relief of 3.3"), mounted on my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier compact with no eye relief issues. I have used maximum 180 grain and 200 grain loads without a problem. Your `06 does not have the recoil that my 300 WSM does.

As to which scope? Depends on your personal preference. The 4200 certainly gives up nothing to the Leupy as far as optics are concerned, while the Leupy will give you more eye relief. The 4200 offers the Rainguard which really does work, while Leupold has their own version of lens coatings for the harsh and wet weather.

To be honest, neither one would have a clear advantage over the other on any particular given hunt, imo! You`ll fill your tags either way.

Where the Leupolds shine over the Bushnells, is in their reticle, variable selections and scope sizes.  

If you`re sure that a 42mm won`t fit, then you`ll certainly cut it real close with a 40mm. You need to have the diameter of the objective bell for both. My former 3-9x40 4200`s objective bell`s OD was 48mm in diameter. You can go to the Leupy site and get the OD dimension for their 3.5-10x40 VX3.

Leupold does make the VX3 in 2x or 2.5-8x36, with a smaller objective, which is an excellent variable for the `06. If you can`t get er done with an 8x max., you won`t get er done with a 10x max. either.  Wink
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 17:38
     The Leupold catalog has the OD of the objective end at 1.8"(45.72mm) for the 3.5-10x40. Eye relief for the Leupold is 4.6"@3.5x and 3.6"@10x. Maybe the eye relief specs shown for the Bushnell (3.3")is the minimum. Surely at 2.5x the E/R is more than 3.3".

til later

Edited by 300S&W - July/29/2008 at 17:39
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 21:42
Big Squeeze, I really wanted to mount the VX III 2.5-8x36, but due to the old rings I'm using, the tube length is too short.  I had an old Tasco 40mm that I temporarily mounted, just to see what the max objective size would fit.  There was a little room to spare with that, but not much.  Thanks for the info.  I'm sure wishing there was a Zeiss or Swaro with a long enough tube to use.  
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 21:54

Big Squeeze, I really wanted to mount the VX III 2.5-8x36, but due to the old rings I'm using, the tube length is too short.  I had an old Tasco 40mm that I temporarily mounted, just to see what the max objective size would fit.  There was a little room to spare with that, but not much.  Thanks for the info.  I'm sure wishing there was a Zeiss or Swaro with a long enough tube to use.  

Sounds like those old Sako rings are becoming a big hassle and possibly limiting you to only a few choices. Maybe you should consider replacing the rings with ones like Rifledude suggested, and included in a pic, on one of your earlier posts.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 22:05
I have to agree I would not let old rings limit my choices.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 00:03
LEU55010 Leupold%201.5-5x20%20VX-III%20Riflescope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-III Riflescope
  • Matte
  • German #4
  • 1"
  • Index Matched Lens System
  • Eye Relief (in): 4.4 - 3.6
SWFA: $449.95
More%20Info...

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/30/2008 at 00:04

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 00:39

.................The 2.5-8x36 VX3 has 5.4" of gross mounting tube length. The 3.5-10x40 VX3 has 5.75"..........Dump those old rings and get the scope you want..... With non off-setting rings on an `06 length action, 5.4" shouldn`t be a problem...............
wagonwheel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wagonwheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 10:47
new rings = more choices.  i wouldn't hang on to the old rings if they were limiting my choices.
Kris Kristoferson: Why do people hate france? They have wine, beautiful women and 400 different kinds of cheese.

Waylon Jennings: Hell Hoss, you can get all that in Ft. Worth!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 10:55
Is there a good reason for wanting to keep those rings?
take em!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 11:00
Just for nostalgia sake.  This is a mint pre garcia 30-06 with mint old sako rings.  I just want to use them for that reason.  It's not like the elite or VX III are bad choices. 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 11:19

Just for nostalgia sake.  This is a mint pre garcia 30-06 with mint old sako rings.  I just want to use them for that reason.  It's not like the elite or VX III are bad choices. 
...................Well!......If you`re going to keep those rings, then you`ll need to use a scope with a longer mounting tube length. That limits your choices.

Not forgetting that you have an objective bell diameter restriction as well, in which case the 2.5-8x36 VX3 would have been absolutely ideal for your `06. Sounds to me like, what you are really looking for, is a scope with a 6" mounting tube length with a smaller 32mm to 36mm objective?? Nothing in Zeiss or Swaro?? 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 12:33
As a last resort, you may need to set the nostalgia aside and replace the old rings in order to get a good scope. Keep the old rings locked away and nobody (except you), will ever know the difference!........You`ll just have to keep it a secret!.......Mouth%20Taped%20Shut.....Cencored
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 13:00
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

As a last resort, you may need to set the nostalgia aside and replace the old rings in order to get a good scope. Keep the old rings locked away and nobody (except you), will ever know the difference!........You`ll just have to keep it a secret!.......Mouth%20Taped%20Shut.....Cencored

Big%20Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
wagonwheel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wagonwheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 14:47

i have to agree with big squeeze
Kris Kristoferson: Why do people hate france? They have wine, beautiful women and 400 different kinds of cheese.

Waylon Jennings: Hell Hoss, you can get all that in Ft. Worth!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by wagonwheel wagonwheel wrote:

i have to agree with big squeeze

Yep, if your gonna use it, file the old rings away for safe keeping, get a quality scope, rings and go hunting!! If it's a museum piece that your rarely going to use, ok, take the time to find an older scope from that era to match your rifle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 15:48
I really appreciate all the posts and answers, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, just more discussion:  I've already determined that the VX III 3.5-10x40 will fit fine, as will the elite 4200 2.5-10x40 and I can get both in gloss which matches the rifle.  That's why I asked the question about these two specifically.  I wouldn't feel handicapped with either one of them.  Not, its' not a museum piece, I'm going to whack something with it!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 17:24
Both of those scopes will work great. The 4200 may have a slight edge with the glass. The Leo will be more forgiving with head position.

Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic