OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

"Seals" brand scopes ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Seals" brand scopes ?
    Posted: July/29/2008 at 10:02
Hello from Maine,

Has anyone ever heard of "Seals" brand scopes? The seller for them on eBay insists that they are comparable to NightForce optics and gives a 5 day inspection, furthermore offers to pay the return shipping if the scope doesn't knock your socks off, if that wasn't enough they are also allegedly made in Japan :

http://tinyurl.com/5oomye

I seems suspicious ....

Has anyone ever tried one?

Thanks,
Craig
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 10:03
oops, that link isn't clickable

http://tinyurl.com/5oomye
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 10:06
Am I screwy? I can't find the "edit" button ...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 10:39
Anyone that says a $200 to $300 is as good as a Nightforce I would definitely take with a grain of Salt.  There is a reason good scopes cost so much.  If you go into expecting it to be a $200 scope then you will probably be fine, but if you go into expecting it to be as good as a $1500 scope you will be sorely disappointed.
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 11:12
That's the voice of common sense and reason :)
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 11:44
That just because I have about 6 or those totally awesome scopes that are claimed to be as good as a $1000 plus scope, and it turned out they are not.  So now they are sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 12:30

Whatever

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 12:34
Chicom crap, I think.

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 12:47
I would be very leary of those that make claims like as good or better than such and such. Never has been true when you are dealing with a low cost product. They are rarely as good as a scope that can be bought for the same amount with less bells and whistles.
Check out the Bushnell 3-9 40 here for example, and the SuperSniper, Nikon Team Primos. The asking price for these makes them huge value for the invested duckage.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 12:53
I saw one at a show, guy tried to tell me something similar.  I looked at it, not like Nightforce. 

It is definitely Chinese and definitely geared toward the tacticool market.  If you want a good scope, don't buy this.  If you want a scope that looks bad-ass, this is OK; but someone who knows optics is gonna tell you it sucks.

Not trying to be an ass, but this is a crap scope.  You get what you pay for.  If you want "Nightforce-like", you aren't gonna get it for under $1,000 - even then, it's tough.

Skip it, buy the real deal, or let us know what you need and want and we can help point you toward good glass.  Avoid this thing like the plague.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 13:05
What I really want is a 40X scope with a 300mm objective lens and mil-dots... but I would not admit it in a public forum.

Rather than making the above, I am looking at finding a used 36X scope for about 3 big ones.

As for the "Seals" scope. Normally I would not think anything of an outrageous claim like "this is same as 1000 dollar scope, me love you long time" however the seller gives a money back guarantee and is willing to pay return shipping, that caught my attention. So I asked here and kinda expected someone to say "those are relabeled Konus scopes" or some such. I could not find any info about "Seals" scopes via Google.

Have fun :)
CRaig
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 13:07
For what do you need 36X?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 13:13
As a general rule, the more power you have the better glass you need to be able to see decent.  Also even with good glass at that kind of power you will get into all kinds of issues that will affect image quality.

I have a 18x IOR scope which has real nice glass and I don't even use it at 18x very often because of mirage and exit pupil and the added shake it adds.  36x would be crazy.

You will not find a scope that is usable at 36x for $300.  Even a $1500 scope 36x would be questionable for use IMO.
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 13:34
Aha... That is something to keep in mind. I've seen mirage through my spotting scope...

To answer the question of "what for", benchrest shooting, like these scopes :

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

I like to shoot brass cases of the berm with my super accurate Savage 22lr

It's fun but I can hardly see the targets, they are small!!!

I get a kick out of it, they fly off. I really like reactive targets. Shooting holes into stickers and measuring the groups with a caliper gets boring.

I don't hunt so "field of view" and all that does not concern me. Also recoil would not be a concern in this case. I think I need a spotting scope with crosshairs Clown

You mentioned "exit pupil", that's why I would make one with a 300mm objective. A 40X scope with a 300mm objective lens would be very bright. Similar to looking through a 4x32 scope.

Cheers,
Craig
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 13:43
Take a look at Weaver scopes.  http://www.swfa.com/c-254-weaver-t-series-rifle-scopes.aspx  While I am not a big fan of that high of a power for your intended us one of these might work.  Not to far out of your budget range either.  They have very fine crosshairs and 1/8 MOA adjustments.  Might be just what you need.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 13:47
If you want a reasonably well priced target scope, try one of Sightron's new 36x42 or 24x42 SII Big Sky target scopes.  Very nice optics and great adjustments.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 16:03
Spy, what is your fascination with these types of cheap, Chicom scopes??

spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 16:15
I guess I always hope an underdog will trump the high priced scopes and save the day ... I must be a very optimistic dreamer!

Cheers,
Craig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 16:33
Originally posted by spystyle spystyle wrote:

I guess I always hope an underdog will trump the high priced scopes and save the day ... I must be a very optimistic dreamer!

Cheers,
Craig

Having personally read most of your posts over the last year and a half, I would say your "optimism" is borderline delusional. Smile

EDITED for niceness.......Wink 

Edited by cheaptrick - July/29/2008 at 16:37
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 20:22
Slightly off subject but a good comparison. Quality glass always trumps power.  I am currently doing a test drive on the Vortex Razor Binoculars and this point is so spectacularly obvious. I have some Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 that I thought were pretty good binoculars. The 8 power razors let you see so much more clearly. Details that could never be seen with my Nikon's are clearly visible. Looking at Jupiter I could see 3 of the moons. None were visible in the Nikon's. Sure you say you are comparing $175 Bins to $750 bins they should be better. The 25% more power in the Nikon's was blown so far away with the clarity of the Razors it can only be seen to be believed. Good glass beats power. Thank you SWFA 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic