OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles vs. Zeiss vs. VX-III

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles vs. Zeiss vs. VX-III
    Posted: December/21/2004 at 06:21

Guys, I've been reading this forum for quire some time and now decided it's time to take part. 

I'm trying to decide on a 2-7x36 Kahles off the sample list or a 3-9x40 Zeiss or 2.5-8 VX-IIIx36.  They are all within $30 of one another. I've read other posts where you guys speak highly of kahles but usually recommend going with something else because of price.  With the sample list discount it makes them all very close.

This will go on a carbine .308.

Part of me thinks that I could even go with a VX-II and save the extra cash for bino's. 

Any thoughts?

Matt 

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2004 at 07:30
I'm probvably the only one here who will recommend the VX III, but in my experience, it's the best.  I had a Kahles 2-7X36 for a while but it was not as good as my 2.5-8X36 VX III.  I have not owned the Zeiss.  My brother compared all three and chose the VX III as well.
model88mattie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2004 at 09:26

Thanks, I have had most experience with Leupold but have limited opportunity to give a good test to some of the other brands that receive high marks over the Leupolds. 

I am upgrading from Tascos and have been saving for the purchase of two scopes, one for my .308 carbine and other .270 win. and wanted some of the input from the fine people of this forum!

I am also needing a pair of quality bino's and want to spend my dollars on good optics but am highly conscious of the law of diminishing returns.   This stuff is purely for hunting within a few hundred yard range.

Matt

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2004 at 10:11
In this example I would buy the Zeiss every time over the Leup.  I would also buy the Kahles over the Leupold.  The conquest is definitely superior to the Leupold every time.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2004 at 12:41

I would go with the Zeiss then save up and buy a better binocular this summer.

ourabmen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ourabmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2004 at 10:30

Comment on Khales, you might want to check out the Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5x6-42. I have a Khales 3.5x10-50mm that I have hunted for the last two deer seasons.  Love the scope and the TDS reticle. I recently picked up a Nikon Monrach Gold 2.5x10-50mm and mounted it on a Tikka 30-06.  I have A/B compared these things at night, dawn, sudk, rain, heavy overcast, and to my eyes the Nikon is every bit as good optically as the Khales.

Last night my brother ln law stopped by. Let just say he has caviar taste and the means to fund it.  He swears by Swaro and Khales.  We went outside with both rifles on a mildly overcast evening at around 7:00 pm to compare the scopes.  He got very quiet, as he switched back and forth between the two scopes.  After he was done I asked him which he preferred.  He said, " I hate to admit it, but the Nikon seemed more clear and had better resolution."  He asked me what I paid for the scope ( I had picked it up from a guy on another site, NIB, for 449.00), and he just shook his head. 

The other thing  I love about the Nikon MG is that it has a constant  4" of eye relief, like the Zeiss conquest. Bewtween those that you mentioned, the Conquest has always impressed me as a great scope for the money.  Like the ohters have said above, you cant go wrong with the Zeiss.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2004 at 11:19

i think kahles is crap, and if spending that much money, look into a swarovski A line, for under $1k, it cannot be beat.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2004 at 16:41

Although I don't agree with redneck all the time, I think he knows alot about optics.  His recommendation here is right on target.

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2004 at 18:53
Kahles is crap?  I usually agree with cory but I think he's been drinkin TOO MUCH egg nog this time!  Merry CHRISTMAS everyone!  GOZER!

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2004 at 10:23

I appreciate all the advice so far....why I like Kahles....it has a wider FOV than most I've compared it to.  Cory, I'd love to go Swaro, but there is a huge jump from the just over $450ish on the sample list to $1K.  What makes you say Kahles is crap? I thought I read that Swaro owns them now.  I'd like to think they have a little input on how things are done.  I want the 308 lever action to be my brush yet kind of all purpose gun at this point....and while I can spend 400-450 on a scope that's my max. 

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2004 at 12:46
One more thing I thought of...I am going to get a Conquest for my .270....and before I get one for the 308 as well, I want to be sure that's the best choice for my use.  I'm definitely not bent on any one brand, but want to choose right the first time.  Thanks!
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2004 at 14:35

i beleave the kahles is of less quality, and preformance than the VXIII, and is NOWHERE near a swaro, and is less than the conquest, and elite 4200. hey, so you get a little taste of two different worlds, how about buying a conquest 3-9x40 for one gun, and a elite 4200 2.5-10x40 for the other, i think you would fall in love.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic