OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

yellowdog lives.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 06:02
That is some good advice from supertool, the parts are a lot less expensive from companies like newegg. I am running a Q6600 Intel at 3 gigahertz and it has been completely stable , now if I could just swing a Yorktown 3 gigahertz processor without the wife knowing it would just plug in and I could OC it up to 3.5 or more without changing any other hardware.

Duce  Smile
Duce
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 07:56
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

That is some good advice from supertool, the parts are a lot less expensive from companies like newegg. I am running a Q6600 Intel at 3 gigahertz and it has been completely stable , now if I could just swing a Yorktown 3 gigahertz processor without the wife knowing it would just plug in and I could OC it up to 3.5 or more without changing any other hardware.

Duce  Smile

Eek                      Whacko
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 08:29
I have cranked the Q6600 up to 3.8 a couple of times but it is not stable at that speed without going to water cooling or something similar. Just a guy thing faster is more fun like cars boats etc.
Duce Smile
Duce
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 20:31
 Great to see ya back buddy !  Thunbs%20Up
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 22:07
I bought the Wolfdale 3ghz a couple months back and have it over clocked to 4 ghz on air, it has been completely stable.  It is crazy fast, I am really liking it.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 10:25
I was surprised the Q 6600 quad core was so much faster than my old FX-60 dual core I had it running at 3 gigahertz too but it was not as stable. I am trying to avoid liquid cooling & the problems associated with it but I am tempted by the speed increase.

Duce Big%20Smile
Duce
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 10:33

Eek
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 10:43
Ya, those quadcores look badass, but I could not bring myself to spend the $1000 on one, no way.  $170 for the 3ghz wolfdale is a steal in my book.  Of course I have not experienced the quad core yet, so I probably don't know what I am missing.  
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 10:57
The Q 6600 are about 200  and I just cant talk myself into the extra grand  for the yorktown when everything is working so good now. Not to mention the reaction from the spouse when she figured it out. But it would plug into the motherboard without changing anything else in the hardware.

Duce Big%20Grin
Duce
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 11:27
You could go with the 2.83 for $550.  If they over clock like the Wolfdale's do it is not going to make much difference.  .16 ghz faster for $500, what is the point that won't even be noticeable by most people and programs.

So you should give it a go with the 2.83 and if you don't like it, I will buy it off you for half price.  Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 11:38
The multiplier is locked up on the 2.8, you have to go to the 3.0 for the unlocked multiplier at almost double the money so I will wait the next generation is coming out soon with a faster front side the 3.0 should come down then.

Duce Smile
Duce
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 13:10

Broken%20Image
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 13:26
Ed did we loose you??  You probably better head back over to the Ed show and post some more pics.  Laugh
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2008 at 14:10
I have used pc pitstop to check proformance on the Q 6600 and I was scoreing a little over 7000 then it lowered to around 6700 with all the software and running raid 5 instead of a raid 0 . It would be fun but expensive to build a pure speed machine. One of my friends in the boat race building business used to as his customers " how fast do you want to spend?" when they wanted a racing boat still true of almost everything fast.

Duce Big%20Grin
Duce
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 07:16
Ed, do you have any idea what those super geek PC guys are talking about???
God save the Empire!
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 05:15
   Hey what's this Ed Show? I've been gone to long. How can yellowdog be a guest on the Ed Show?
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 07:28
That's ok yellowdog.  You will bring some much needed class to the Ed Show (not to mention good looks).
God save the Empire!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 08:43
 What video card are you all using ? I'm running a HD 3870 ATI right now . They keep updating the drivers and it seems to be holding it's own . It's on a core2 duo mb . Am thinking of going for the Extreme cpu as soon as they come down .... will plug in the socket .

Edited by mercenary1947 - August/06/2008 at 08:47
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 08:49
I am using an inexpensive but adequate for my use one
SAPPHIRE 100205L Radeon HD 2400XT 256MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video

Duce Smile
Duce
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 09:12
I am running at EVGA 8800 GTX at home http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=768-P2-N837-AR&family=GeForce%208%20Series%20Family

Then a EVGA 9600GT at work  http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=512-P3-N865-AR&family=GeForce%209%20Series%20Family

Does your Mobo support 1333 or 1600 Mhz bus speed?  All the extremes out now are using one of those FSB.

Edited by supertool73 - August/06/2008 at 15:05

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic