OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

yellowdog lives.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yellowdog lives.
    Posted: July/26/2008 at 23:11
    Howdy my brothers Howdy Yes I'm still alive, I had a major computer crash a few weeks back, but I'm happy to report that nobody was injured. However this has been a major recovery process, as I'm not nearly as savy with PC's as I am with firearms. I've been over due to purchase a new system anyway. It's gona be a small chunk of change, so I don't want to rush such a purchase not knowing any more than I do about computers. My last one was pretty out dated, it was a pull start model. I would like to step up to electric start this time. Any suggestions would be great!   I'm on my inlaws PC as I speak, so I won't be around to long. Hope to be back real soon. Take care ya'll, yellowdog.
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 23:14
hey, the ugly mug is back! welcome back yellowdog. I have been out of computers for long enough that I don't know what to suggest. I use a toshiba laptop. Haven't had any problems with it, so I am happy.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 23:22
laptop or pc?

operating system: windows or mac? (there's others like linux, etc.)

budget?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 23:26
ohhh....

welcome back Perro Amarillo!!!! Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 23:58
Intel processor. AMD tends to get very unstable over time. Mean%20Computer
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 00:23
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

laptop or pc?

operating system: windows or mac? (there's others like linux, etc.)

budget?
     PC, windows, trying to stay around $800 or so. Don't want to spend much more than that, as I need to purchase a couple thousand rounds of bullets to reload for the .40 They have more than doubled in price this past year, so I want to get stocked up before the next price increase.

Edited by yellowdog - July/27/2008 at 00:29
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 00:36
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

hey, the ugly mug is back! welcome back yellowdog. I have been out of computers for long enough that I don't know what to suggest. I use a toshiba laptop. Haven't had any problems with it, so I am happy.
     Hey, If you don't want to be seen with me anymore, all you had to do was say so, you don't have to call me names. Broken%20Heart
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 00:51
It's almost lights out for me but for now, click the link below and it'll send you to the Dell website. The two PC's on the far left, the 530 and 530s, are two very good choices. Between the two, I'd go with the 530. It doesn't have a lot of "bells and whistles" but it will definitely get the job done!!

My Components
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Service Pack 1
19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
No Floppy Drive Included
No Modem Option
My Software & Accessories
Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer
McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
Microsoft Works 9.0
My Service
1Yr Ltd HW WRTY, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis, 24x7 Phone Support
Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr
Also Includes
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Windows Vista™ Premium
No DataSafe
No Entertainment software pre-installed

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/top_picks_desktop?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

We've always had good luck with Dell but they can get a little pricey. You can usually find very good deals on HP which is always a popular choice. I'll try to check some more tomorrow if I have time.  

Edited by mike650 - July/27/2008 at 01:00
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 00:58
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Intel processor. AMD tends to get very unstable over time. Mean%20Computer

That is a complete BS statement right there.  I have been running AMD's since 2000 and have never had a single problem with an AMD chip.  I have probably built over 100 machines with AMD chips for customers and probably 10 to 15 for my self and have never had one fail. 

For about 4 years AMD chips were easily out performing the Pentium chips.  It wasn't until Intel came out with the Core that's that the tables turned again and put Intel back on top. 

I have an AMD X2 4800 in my media server that has not been turned off for almost 2 years other than power outages and adding new hard drives and it has ran perfect. 

But all that being said.  At the current time the Core processor's are the best chips to buy for high performance.   But for a less expensive system the AMD X2s are pretty tough to beat.  They have more than enough juice for anything an average computer user would ever do.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 01:03
Your right AMD was the one to beat for awhile until just recently. Years ago AMD got a bad failure rap for (if memory servers me) over heating but that was ..... years ago.

Edited by mike650 - July/27/2008 at 01:06
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 01:10
I would recommend one from this company.  If you buy the basic one that I have linked it is more than the average user will ever need.  http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Infinity_6000_Lightning/  Just add a monitor and operating system and you will be set.  It may cost you $50 to $100 more but it will be worth it in the end if you ever want to make any changes or have hardware failures once you are out of warrenty. 

The downside to Dells and HPs and other brands like them is they are completely proprietary.  You may save $50 bucks buying one of them, but if you ever have a hardware failure or want to upgrade anything you have to buy "Dell" or "HP" certified proprietary parts.  Meaning if you want to upgrade your memory you can't just take it to the local computer store and say stick some memory in here and it will only cost $50.  Instead they will have to special order memory that is built for that exact machine and it will cost you more like $125 by the time it is done.  If you have a case fan go out, you can't just buy a regular old case fan for $10 you have to buy a specific case fan that is certfied by "Dell" that costs $35 instead.  That is where they really screw you and get your money. 

You buy from a company like Cyber Power and they build custom machines that have no proprietary parts and if you have a piece of hardware fail or want to upgrade something  you can take it to your local store and it will save you a ton of money. 

Incase you can't tell I hate big box store computer systems, they just rape you in the end. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 01:15
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Your right AMD was the one to beat for awhile until just recently. Years ago AMD got a bad failure rap for (if memory servers me) over heating but that was ..... years ago.

Yup that was clear back in the late 90's before my computer tech time.  They have made fine chips for quite some time.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 01:28
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I would recommend one from this company.  If you buy the basic one that I have linked it is more than the average user will ever need.  http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Infinity_6000_Lightning/  Just add a monitor and operating system and you will be set.  It may cost you $50 to $100 more but it will be worth it in the end if you ever want to make any changes or have hardware failures once you are out of warrenty. 

The downside to Dells and HPs and other brands like them is they are completely proprietary.  You may save $50 bucks buying one of them, but if you ever have a hardware failure or want to upgrade anything you have to buy "Dell" or "HP" certified proprietary parts.  Meaning if you want to upgrade your memory you can't just take it to the local computer store and say stick some memory in here and it will only cost $50.  Instead they will have to special order memory that is built for that exact machine and it will cost you more like $125 by the time it is done.  If you have a case fan go out, you can't just buy a regular old case fan for $10 you have to buy a specific case fan that is certfied by "Dell" that costs $35 instead.  That is where they really screw you and get your money. 

You buy from a company like Cyber Power and they build custom machines that have no proprietary parts and if you have a piece of hardware fail or want to upgrade something  you can take it to your local store and it will save you a ton of money. 

Incase you can't tell I hate big box store computer systems, they just rape you in the end. 

This is very good advice for those wanting to upgrade their hardware down the road and some of the hardware is a step up from the Dell 530. Good info!! Thunbs%20Up

Good night!! Big%20Smile

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 01:31
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

naaaahh  Big%20Grin

nite bro!!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2008 at 01:40
I hitting the bed as well.  Have a good one.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 09:49
Gal    " Yellowdog................MY HERO!!!"  LoveKiss   Gal
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 16:30
Great to hear your back yellowdog, I was beginning to think you didn't like us anymore, or maybe the Mississippi got you too.
I'm like you with computors (did I spell that right?). When I was in high school I walked in my trig. class and there was a computor terminal in the room. Our teacher said "this is a computor terminal, it is hooked up to the big computor at U of L, and it does great and wonderful things, don't touch it". When the PD sent me to a computor class, I learned on my arrival that the class was cancelled. When I had to send my lineups to the radio room via the computor, I was encouraged to use the computor; I managed to lockup the system for the county court system and the dept. for almost a day. That's been my life with computors.
Welcome back yellowdog!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 16:36
Damn Dog, It's about time!!!!!!! Ed is OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 17:13
Welcome back, dawg!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2008 at 05:22
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Gal    " Yellowdog................MY HERO!!!"  LoveKiss   Gal
       I think maybe we should'nt see each other anymore Edwin. I need my space. People are starting to talk. cyborg is on to us anyway. Bucky
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic