OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 scope for hogs & varmints

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txgolfer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-15 scope for hogs & varmints
    Posted: July/26/2008 at 13:14
My first post here.  Need some help.

I have an S&W M&P15A and am looking to put a scope on it for general varmint hunting with shots from close to 200 yds.  My lease has raccoons, coyotes and quite a few hogs.  I have a budget of $400 or less.  So, I could get something like an EOTech M512 or Aimpoint CompC3 but, it would be without magnification.  Would I be better off with a more traditional scope instead?  Clearly, the EoTech or Aimpoint would have more versatility for home defense situations. 

Suggestions?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 14:27
Welcome to Optics Talk.

I'm thinking a lower powered, light weight variable scope. 

What about something like this?

The Millet would meet your budget and allow you to make CQB shots up close with the 1x and on varmints out past 200 yards with the 4x.

Or....

Good shooting!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 14:35
The have excellent glass.  And it has the hold over marks incase you choose to do some shooting beyond 200 yards.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12758-2123-new-vortex-2-7x32-viper-rifle-scope.aspx
txgolfer45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txgolfer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 14:42
Looks like some good choices.  What rings do you recommend to attach to a piccitany rail on the S&W M&P15A?

Scott
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 16:00
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txgolfer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

The have excellent glass.  And it has the hold over marks incase you choose to do some shooting beyond 200 yards.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12758-2123-new-vortex-2-7x32-viper-rifle-scope.aspx

Which reticle do you recommend in the Vortex Viper?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 09:01
Is this ar15 shoot .223? Your not using it on hogs are you?? Varmints, great choice!!

Looks like you've been given some fine suggestions for scopes and hardware. Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 10:27
You're gonna shoot a hog with a .223?  I wouldn't advise it.  Hogs are tough to kill, and especially with small bullets.  And they are "dangerous game" for a reason: piss one off and they start hunting you.

Aim for the brain or the spine, and DON'T MISS!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 11:48
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txgolfer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 20:43
I was thinking .223 for the smaller little porkers.  Ihave a Remington 700 ADL in .270 for the bigger ones.

A buddy has a mueller scope in 3x9x40 that I may put on it temporarily.  Any recommended rings and mounts for it?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2008 at 22:17
most scopes on an AR work better in a forward mount like for more eyerelief
like a Laure or a riser 1/2" rail that extends out 2-3" with 1/2" high rails

if you use good bullets like the 60g Nosler Partitions or 64g softpoints (my Sabre 1/8 likes the speer gold dots) and not ballistic tips and hit em behind the ear it's lights out

as for scopes, are you going to be night hunting? with or without a red light setup like from Texas boars?  do you really want a lit reticle?

I have gone through a bunch of these type of scopes...
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 10:50
I have a riser and Warne PRW rings on my Stag, but on my next one I will be using the Warne xtra/ultra high quick removable rings.  Make for ease of on or off if I want to swap them out.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2008 at 19:29
My thought on this is that the AR-15 is the wrong choice for a hog hunting gun. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/03/2008 at 03:05

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2008 at 19:51
Originally posted by txgolfer45 txgolfer45 wrote:

I was thinking .223 for the smaller little porkers.  Ihave a Remington 700 ADL in .270 for the bigger ones.

A buddy has a mueller scope in 3x9x40 that I may put on it temporarily.  Any recommended rings and mounts for it?

That .270 is'nt that much larger / heavier caliber !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 21:53
I have a 308 and a 270 bolt, also have a 45/70 stainless guide gun with a Leupold scout scope and loaded some 405g hardcasts for hogs, also a 6.8 SPC 18" with a 3x TA33 ACOG.

the 6.8 loaded with 110g barnes will punch cleanly through both shoulders even on big hogs...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 16:25
You can use the AR on game far more dangerous than porkyWink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFvAaO9j8M
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 16:29
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

You can use the AR on game far more dangerous than porkyWink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFvAaO9j8M

Just don't get out of the boat.....Wink
Damn, I love that movie. Good call, Doug!!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 09:08
 Good movie .... but the hog kill was pure Hollywood . Big hogs don't know they're dead until 20 feet after .... or it seems that way ... PURE MEAN and NASTY !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 16:22
I've got a Trijicon Accupoint on my AR and it is the fastest on target scope I own. It has helped many yotes take a nap.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txgolfer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 22:42
I took down a 225 lb boar at 300 yds with a Remington 700 ADL .270 on Sunday.  It ran about 40 yds and piled up.  Hit it right behind the shoulder while it was on the move doing a slow jog across a wheat field.  The rifle had a Leopold VX-I 3x9x40 scope on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic