OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield 12x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield 12x
    Posted: July/24/2008 at 10:01
I just acquired an old Redfield 12x.It has 3 knobs for adjustment, one being a side mount parralax and the other 2 windage and elevation. There are threads on the windage and elevation knobs for covers or so it appears but has no covers and the knob handles are big round heads like you find on weaver type scope bases.
The scope has been completely rebuilt and in fine shape, but I would like some history on it and if the knob covers are available.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 10:37
Originally posted by aardvark aardvark wrote:

I just acquired an old Redfield 12x....I would like some history on it and if the knob covers are available.

Likely that there are some knob covers out there that would fit as it should be a fairly standard size and thread.  As for history??? Once upon a time in a land far far away it was owned by a great white hunter who truely loved it for its ability to place a bullet neatly behind the ear of Kudu and Gemsbuck however it being a 12x unfortunately was also his undoing as it brought about his untimely demise when a Cape Buffalo charged him from 35 meters and all he could see was fur causing his misplaced shot to hit the animal in the right hind quarter. From there it was traded by African pigmees for a shrunken head and a pint of rum to loin cloth salesman who was mugged in an alley by a sailor who stole the scope and brought it to Texas where he sold it to an oil tycoon who killed many deer with it then one day decided he would trade it off at a gun show for a 10X scope that he fancied. Excellent

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
aardvark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 13:57
How did he kill many deer with it? Was it used as a club?    
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2008 at 16:48
Excellent
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by aardvark aardvark wrote:

I just acquired an old Redfield 12x....I would like some history on it and if the knob covers are available.

Likely that there are some knob covers out there that would fit as it should be a fairly standard size and thread.  As for history??? Once upon a time in a land far far away it was owned by a great white hunter who truely loved it for its ability to place a bullet neatly behind the ear of Kudu and Gemsbuck however it being a 12x unfortunately was also his undoing as it brought about his untimely demise when a Cape Buffalo charged him from 35 meters and all he could see was fur causing his misplaced shot to hit the animal in the right hind quarter. From there it was traded by African pigmees for a shrunken head and a pint of rum to loin cloth salesman who was mugged in an alley by a sailor who stole the scope and brought it to Texas where he sold it to an oil tycoon who killed many deer with it then one day decided he would trade it off at a gun show for a 10X scope that he fancied.  

ExcellentRoll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2008 at 09:23
The pigmees seem to have gotten.....the short end of the stickWink
carbuyersfriend View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2008 at 08:08
Aardvak,
 Does the scope have any model or serial numbers on it ? I have a neighbor with a good size collection of old scopes and I know some are Redfield. He may have what you need or know where to source it. You can pm me with the info.
 This whole string of occurences souds an awful lot like a liberal plot ....watch out when using this scope as it may have a "rose colored" cast to the glass that causes the images to appear to be constantly moving and as such you will never be able to zero it.  Thus it has been the reason for the deaths of several good conservatives. Also, if this is the case I am sure there are some large "back taxes" you owe to several countries. Might be best to just give it to that liberal neighbor of yours and tell him you're doing your part in the new "re-distribution of wealth" !!!
Have a great day ...unless you have something else planned
tinytim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinytim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 09:50
Can we see a picture? It might be like the 24X one I have posted on the varmint scope thread also looking for info although mine has no cap threads. thanks.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 09:34
I know that those Redfields with the side focus were pictured in the 1975 Shooter's Bible ( which was actually on the bookshelves in summer 1974...) 
It is photographed with typical Redfield turret caps so yours must be add-ons.....

Original price in 1974...............$120      Bucky            ( quarter clicks ) 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic