OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold or nikon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold or nikon
    Posted: July/23/2008 at 13:46
I just purchased a flloor model Leupold 12-40x60 spotting scope for $125.00. I have a nikon 16-48x60 XL. Going to sell one of them. Which scope is the best of the two. I mostly will be using it on pronghorn hunts
mikerabe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikerabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2008 at 17:34
If the leupold is the HD model keep it for sure. If not I imagine they are pretty close with the leupold being slightly better optically. I would sell both and buy a nikon ED50 body and the 13-40x eyepiece. model #7467.Yippee 
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 00:15
You bought a Leupold 12-40x60 Golden Ring for $125?   That is an absolute total bloody STEAL!!!  Why can't I ever find stuff like that. 

The Leupold, even if it's not the new HD model, is far and away better than the Nikon Spotter XL.  And while I really like the Nikon ED 50 mentioned by mikerabe, I would not be willing to sell that Leupold to get one. 
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
mikerabe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikerabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 21:20
A lot depends on how much hiking will be done. The nikon is lighter and easier pack than the Leupold. (easy to lash to the outside of a pack). I will disagree that the leupold is FAR better optically than the nikon. It may be better but the nikon xl is a pretty solid and simple design with pretty darn good optics up to about 35-40x. 

I still stand by my original opinion on the little stunning Nikon ED50. As good or better than the leupold (non HD) optically and lighter and smaller. Hippie
burch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 09:48
Think I will keep the Leupold and sell the Nikon. I don't see much difference in the optics but I wear glasses and the Leupold seems to have a larger field of view.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 19:19
Good choice. 

FWIW, the Leupold does indeed have a wider FoV as well as a lot better eye relief. 
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic