OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scopes for Savage 93R17BTVS 17HMR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scopes for Savage 93R17BTVS 17HMR
    Posted: July/22/2008 at 19:35

Last year I fall in love with a Savage 93R17BTVS

I couldn't resist to by it.

My problem I can't find a decent scop to put on it.

I want it in Silver to match the barellCool.

and I'm looking at minimum 40MM

The zoom I'd be find with a minimum zoom of 3 to 5 and a max zoom of 12 to 16.
I'd love to have the a sun Shade thing on it but not a must.

So far they only scoop I found is the Burris Fullfield II™ 4.5X-14X-42mm.

It's they only scoop that coutch my attention
Any one have beter sugestion?

THX
P.S. BSA is not and option Loco

Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 20:02
The Mueller APV in silver isn't too bad, and should be in the price range you are looking at. 

Its quite a bit less costly than the FFII you mentioned.  Lots of guys on rimfirecentral love the APV

Tgrasshopper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tgrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 21:37
Is that a good quality scoop?
To what kind of brand can it be compare?

Hop it's not like a tasco or BSA

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 23:01
The Mueller APV has a good reputation as the best of the entry level (sub-$125) rimfire scopes. If all I had was $120 for a rimfire I'd either pick the APV or the Simmons Whitetail Classic 6-20x50 w/AO that SWFA was blowing out for $99. The Simmons is actually a good centerfire scope and works well on rimfires but it's huge.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 12:05
I have the Mueller on a Marlin 917VS and for the money I don't think you can go wrong. So far it has been everything that I expected for a scope in that price range. Also the customer service is an A+, great people to deal with......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 14:19
I believe a Nikon 4.5-14x40mm w/ sf  in silver would be an excellent choice. I know you might not like spending that much on a scope for rimfire, but I think after you got it on there you wouldnt regret it.  http://swfa.com/Nikon-45-14x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42209.aspx
I just recently mounted a nikon 6-18x40mm w/ sf on mine 93R17BTVS. worth every penny
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:50
I have a Burris 4.5-14x42 (Ballistic Plex) on my sons Savage 17HMR and it fits the bill nicely.  The little tic marks on the plex workout pretty good too.  If yours is a thumbhole stock, you'll need high/extra high rings so your eye lines up with the lens due to the high cheek pad.

Jim 
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 14:14

I had a Burris 4.5-14x32 timberline w/ ballistic plex on mine. I liked it but I wanted something a little more zoom sharper image.  I had it mounted with leupold low PRM rings. The cheek rest didnt give me any problems. I really see no reason to go higher than medium. Unless you have a big objective scope. Now I have the nikon on there with Burris signature zee rings, medium.

The ballistic plex is very handy. I dont think you can get those scopes in silver finish though.

Whatever you do though dont go cheap though, don't buy 50 or 100 dollar scope. Cause ur wasting your money. I have a Ziess 8x-32(1in tube) and my friend was shooting a barska 12x50(30mm tube). I could still see the holes at 100 yards better than he could, simplely because of better quality glass.  Since you got a 17 I figure your gonna be something small. So your gonna need some good glass, for those small targets. Dont forget some sort of parrallax adjustment. Nikon buckmasters 4.5-14x40 w/ sf in silver. I think they come with sunshades too.

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 15:51

FWIW, I suggested the high/extra high mounts only because of the way the cheek piecs is on the stock.  Mediums are to low, high is probably the best.  There's plenty of room between the scope and barrel.

HTH,
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 01:00
This is not my typical post but I hope I will be understood when I say this...

Try a tasco varmint scope I have one on the same rifle in 22WMR and 17HMR and it cannot be considered not a perfect fit.  The glass is fine for the needs of those two calibers...

I can say that I have many of cases through the .22WMR and about 40 boxes through the 17HMR and have never been let down for the $150 it was well well worth the price and I have never had issues with the scopes not returning to my 50-75 yard true zero with either one of them...

I love great glass and appreciate the want for the best but I have been down that road and have found that it is worth it to get glass that fits the rifle and the caliber...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - February/04/2010 at 01:02
No one
55spartan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55spartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 04:00
Love my Savage .17hmr
tjones96761 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 23:16
I have a 3-9X32 Redhead cheapo on mine and it does great. I'd like to upgrade also, but have the same problem as you, no silver. I also do not want to AO on mine. would like to find a 6-12 X40, if there is such a thing.
When I get tied down by the ties that bind, seems like I'm never gonna find the time to do what I need. - Jason Boland "Somewhere Down in Texas"
andy29075 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy29075 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 16:01
Hey guys: a question to extend this topic a little further. I have almost the exact same rifle as the original poster, just in 22LR with a gray laminate thumbhole stock.

Given the following: I will only be target shooting with the above rifle, at ranges from 50-150 yards, usually in good weather---> If my scope budget for this rifle was ~$400, what other scopes would you all recommend? I want something with target knobs and in a similar medium-to-high variable power range with AO.

Any ideas?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 16:11
Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope Target Dot Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM05TDOT
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$399.95 
Add Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
andy29075 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy29075 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 17:08
Thanks SVT_Tactical, that's exactly what I'm looking for!
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 18:47
Bushnell 4200elite...You pick the size as per your needs.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic