OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barrel break-in ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 07:06
Thanks BD, maybe I will try that on my Rem. That is if I am still young enough for all that vigorous work by the time I get my lic.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 10:09
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Ok Big Daddy, you are up!
Please walk us through this process!

I think Big Daddy may be lost to us.  He has been sucked in by the Ed show and it may be to late to save him.    It appears the Ed show is the dark side to Optics Talk.  Stay in the light folks, stay in the light.
come%20to%20the%20dark%20side,%20we%20have%20cookies
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 20:05
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Just so I am clear, pyro, are we talking about the Tubb system in place of the barrel break-in process or after the break-in process is complete.
takes the place of the breaking in
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 18:54
Well if it takes place of those ridiculous regiments I hear about so often, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Tubb is no dummy, that's for sure. I did skim through the article and it sounds like the Final Finish is probably aimed more at factory barrels or smiths that don't use reamers with floating pilots. Some of the break-in processes I've read about would take several hours at least. So I guess it boils down to whether you have the time or you have a factory barrel that you feel could be improved upon. It sure would be alot cheaper than ordering a new tube. I'm always a little skeptical of miracle cures.

Roy
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 21:03
i read the article again and he said this method is mostly for barrels that have been hand lapped prior to installing on the the action, it doesnt list a set method for the off the shelf factory barrel. i would assume maybe you would just use a few more of the final finish bullets. tubb said to shoot 10 final finish bullets clean the barrel then shoot 10 more and clean and then shoot 10 regular rounds
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2008 at 23:15
My guess would be that the final finish method would lap the first part of the barrel a lot more than the rest of it.  I've heard you lose a lot of throat with it also.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 20:11
Ed Brown has an interesting barrel break-in procedure posted on his website.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 20:14
Originally posted by timber timber wrote:

Ed Brown has an interesting barrel break-in procedure posted on his website.
..................TIMBER; I tried to respond to your earlier PM to me, but couldn`t.  Apparently, the amount of messages you can receive has been exceeded or your in box is too full.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 20:51
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

My guess would be that the final finish method would lap the first part of the barrel a lot more than the rest of it.  I've heard you lose a lot of throat with it also.
actually you dont they measured a brand new rifle and after the 20 rounds of final finish they lost .003 inches maybe it was .0003 i cant remember but its not much
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2008 at 09:58
CR-10 melts bronze. It says right on the bottle to use nylon.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2008 at 16:28
Well.......whatever I did or didn't do must have worked !!

I am skeptical to post my results since I did not take any pictures and I know how the internet is !!!!!!

But I will post anyway. I shot the gun extensively last week while I was on vacation. I have really learned a lot over the last year or so and things came together suprisingly easy !!

My buddy and I shot 5-6 different factory loads and all shot under an inch at 100 yards. They ranged from 150 grain Corelocks to 180 grain Hornady SST's. It does seem to have a preference for 165 core locks and 168 Winchester Ballistic tips (those were cutting holes and I measured several 3 round groups of 1/2"). I got 2" 3 shot groups at 300 yards and even shot 2 groups at 400 and had 4 of 6 shots in the vitals of a deer target at 400 ........and all six hit the deer (this was my first time ever shooting that far ).

My buddy would not let me shoot out of a vise so we used a nice sandbag. I think the Winchester shot the best and settled on them shooting 2.5" high at 100, 8 low at 300, and 22 low at 400. Probably put 40-50 rounds through it and hit it a couple of times with a bore snake. Came home and cleaned the gun yesterday beginning with Sweets 7.62 and got a little blue on the patch. Ran a dry patch through and got a little more a few minutes later and finished cleaning it with regular solvent and oil .

I am afriad to do anything else to it seeing as how it's shooting so well. So I guess I will pass judgement that an excessive break-in was not needed. Perhaps any of what I did was un-needed or maybe it helped.........couldn't tell you. But I am extremely pumped up about my new rifle !!

Edited by cbm - August/05/2008 at 16:30
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 08:18
I'm glad it all worked out for you.Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know when you reach out past 400.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic